mopar 833 bearing replacement

-

dust-u

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my 4speed. disassembly went well. I purchased one of those harbor freight bearing splitters and it will not fit around the rear bearing. are there any tips to remove the rear bearing in another fashion.

It won't fit why, too small? Bearing splitter is what I always used

it was a cheapie harbor freight set and there is not a whole lot of space behind the bearing. do you have a pic of the splitter you used.

I have gotten the back bearing off with two pry bars and plastic hammer. Once the clip is off put prybar on each side behind the bearing prying up some. I hold the main shaft between my legs some. Have some once else hit on the end with plastic hammer. Took mine right off

I used 2 pieces of angle iron instead of a bearing splitter. Actually I think it was pieces of an old bedframe. Worked perfect.

I have gotten the back bearing off with two pry bars and plastic hammer. Once the clip is off put prybar on each side behind the bearing prying up some. I hold the main shaft between my legs some. Have some once else hit on the end with plastic hammer. Took mine right off

I’m not holding something between my legs and have someone else swinging a hammer.
Just sayin’

And, FYI, knowing what I know now, you can assemble your bearing separator under the much wider first gear and use that to apply upward force to the bearing.

THis is so easy you're gonna say "why didn't I think of that?"
Empty the main case and if it has the same size bearing hole in the front as you have on the mainshaft, then just thread the the assy into there from the inside, and then put the big outer snap-ring on from the input. Then flip the whole thing up so the tail is up, and you are all set-up to push or beat it out.
But if the front is too small then use the big hole, except you will have to fabricate a bearing support big enough to not fall into the hole. I torched out a little circle about 6 or 7 inches in diameter, from about 3/16 steel plate (whatever fit inbetween there). Then torched out a center hole. Then torched out a slot to make a sort of horseshoe deal. I just slip this horseshoe between the bearing and first gear, then set the assy onto/into the back hole, and she's all set up again.

Thick flat bars work too, but under first gear, taking them both off at the same time.

-
Back