Mopar 9 1/4 narrowing

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Why don't more guys do this? Seems like a cheap alternative to the more popular rears..and did I tell you it was cheap? Guys name is Alex out of Tallahassee, Florida. Building a magnum Valiant with alot of build videos and even a Thermoquad vid.

Close to Dana 60 strength with less parasitic loss and weight, too. LPW makes a girdle with a tube brace set that looks like it would make it nearly indestructible. Going to measure out the next truck 8-1/4 I come across to see if it can be modified in the same manner.

My thoughts Pishta-

parts available for it. I’ve never looked into building but parts availability is typically why you decide not too.
Just my opinion.

You'll lose some strength going from the 30 to 29 spline axles unless someone is making 30 or 35 spline side gears or spools for these axles. I've always seen a lot more other parts let go before an axle snaps, a Ratech high strength crush sleeve or solid crush sleeve eliminator would be a good plan if using any Chry-Co crush sleeve rear axle.

I have a completely different issue. I demand a 3rd member rear, period. So this pretty much leaves me 8 3/4 or Ford 9. I have parts and pieces (one under the car) of 3 Versailles 9" which were factory disc. If I had to do this over, I'd not use the Versailles disk setup, but I have them, so......

U.S. Strange, Yukon, Moser all have special order capability, or just send a set of the right set of B, E, C body or truck axles to Moser engineering or your favorite machine fabrication shop to get them cut and new splines cut.

Truck 60s can be picked up pretty cheap. I can't see saving much by going to a 9.25. Sure , if it already has a limited slip,but how many do?

More than you would think, pretty common in older power wagons and power rams and even some vans. Less weight and parasitic drag than a 60, nearly unbreakable for street usage. I've picked a housing up out of a '79 Power Wagon from a junkyard once for $30 that someone else had bought the axles and brakes out of and it still had the 3.55 gears and a sure-grip in it.

More than you would think, pretty common in older power wagons and power rams and even some vans. Less weight and parasitic drag than a 60, nearly unbreakable for street usage. I've picked a housing up out of a '79 Power Wagon from a junkyard once for $30 that someone else had bought the axles and brakes out of and it still had the 3.55 gears and a sure-grip in it.

If the 9.25 has a higher pinion than the D60 for less parasitic loss, that means it's harder to get the car lower.

That's one complaint about the D60 over the 9 inch. The pinion is higher and it's hard to get the car low enough without a bunch of work.

If the 9.25 has a higher pinion than the D60 for less parasitic loss, that means it's harder to get the car lower.

That's one complaint about the D60 over the 9 inch. The pinion is higher and it's hard to get the car low enough without a bunch of work.
Damn you getting those direct connection catalogs!

I always thought gear selection was the reason the 9 1/4 was overlooked.

Damn you getting those direct connection catalogs!

Whew! I got lucky finding those buggars.

I'm trying to find one copy of every year. I'm well on my way and now I have to look at what I have, add the two new ones and be on the lookout for the rest.

I want a complete set for my library.

The available ratios are still a weak point for drag racing being that 4.88 is the lowest gear available. I had erroneously mentioned 29 spline axles (probably had new style 8-1/4 on the brain), they are actually 31 spline axles. It's still available as an aftermarket axle. It's been a while since I've seen the exact dimensions on the aforementioned 8-3/4 axles shafts, but I'm thinking it's going to have a rear axle narrower than a standard A body to go far enough up the shaft for the 31 spline diameter.

-
Back