Mopar Brakes Go To Guy

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK everyone, I have been reading a lot of questions about Mopar brakes here lately, where to get parts, what is correct, etc. etc. I think it's time to offer up a little information about a gentleman who I consider the go to guy when it comes to Mopar brakes. His name is Craig Studnick (aka. Americas Auto Parts King) He is out of New Jersey and he knows Mopar brakes like no other I have found. He is a wealth of information, he has all of the rare and hard to find parts from the 40's right up through the 80's and he is most entertaining to deal with. He is completely off the board technology wise and the only way to get a hold of him is by telephone, or if you happen to find him at the larger Mopar shows. He personally packs every set up he puts together complete with the part numbers of every item in the box written on the outside. If you need any of the hard to find stuff, call him at (516)485-1935. About the only thing I ever heard him say that could not be had was the Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers, which have been out of production so long that nobody has them any more. Everything else I've ever needed, like brake drums for the small bolt 8 3/4, rotors for K-H brakes, and every other part I've needed has been available through him, complete with a thorough explanation of every aspect of the braking setup on my project in question. Give him a call for all your braking needs, he really knows his brakes, and suspension too. Just a little FYI, Geof

OK everyone, I have been reading a lot of questions about Mopar brakes here lately, where to get parts, what is correct, etc. etc. I think it's time to offer up a little information about a gentleman who I consider the go to guy when it comes to Mopar brakes. His name is Craig Studnick (aka. Americas Auto Parts King) He is out of New Jersey and he knows Mopar brakes like no other I have found. He is a wealth of information, he has all of the rare and hard to find parts from the 40's right up through the 80's and he is most entertaining to deal with. He is completely off the board technology wise and the only way to get a hold of him is by telephone, or if you happen to find him at the larger Mopar shows. He personally packs every set up he puts together complete with the part numbers of every item in the box written on the outside. If you need any of the hard to find stuff, call him at (516)485-1935. About the only thing I ever heard him say that could not be had was the Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers, which have been out of production so long that nobody has them any more. Everything else I've ever needed, like brake drums for the small bolt 8 3/4, rotors for K-H brakes, and every other part I've needed has been available through him, complete with a thorough explanation of every aspect of the braking setup on my project in question. Give him a call for all your braking needs, he really knows his brakes, and suspension too. Just a little FYI, Geof

Thanks for the heads-up and the contact info.!

The K-H calipers are available in rebuilt form, from numerous sources, and the parts are available if anyone is inclined to do it themselves - rebuild these
calipers. Check out Rock Auto, Partstrain and others for info.

If I were you I would not ever do business with this Guy Craig Studnick from Mobile Parts. He screwed me over big time. If you can find some else I suggest you do. He sent me parts to a car that were wrong and then after several attempts to reach him he finally answered the phone and said "I thought you would be a man and just go away" Now what kind of person does that? He screwed me out of close to $500.00. STAY AWAY

Read post #2 first, but suspicious since coming from a guy w/ just that single post.

If drum brakes, there isn't much Mopar about it. Looks like standard Bendix design you see in most U.S. cars. I would think any competent brake shop could work on it or get parts. The drums are the more uniquely Mopar part (bolt pattern, etc.).

As mentioned, the K-H calipers are widely available. You just have to eat the core charge if you don't have used ones, but shipping them back is almost as much. 1973+ disk parts are easy and can buy a whole new setup w/ spindles on ebay. Can get new power booster w/ MC for $140 on ebay.

Well gang, a lot has changed for the K-H brake setup since my initial post, 6 years ago now! The parts are now available through other sources than just Craig, but I still contend that he knows his brakes inside and out, and personally can't believe he would send somebody the wrong parts if provided accurate info as to what was needed! A guy that can recite part numbers from memory can usually provide the correct items every time! Now, as stated above, his demeanor is a little rough, but I can't believe he would send anybody away with that kind of comment!!

Sorry that my first post is about a POS vendor. I just wanted to warn my fellow restorers about this guy. A little back ground on me. I've been in the car business since 1982. Been racing all makes and models since I was 16 years old. Restored hundreds of cars. I was just trying to make sure this guy doesn't have an opportunity to screw anyone else.

Read post #2 first, but suspicious since coming from a guy w/ just that single post.

If drum brakes, there isn't much Mopar about it. Looks like standard Bendix design you see in most U.S. cars. I would think any competent brake shop could work on it or get parts. The drums are the more uniquely Mopar part (bolt pattern, etc.).

As mentioned, the K-H calipers are widely available. You just have to eat the core charge if you don't have used ones, but shipping them back is almost as much. 1973+ disk parts are easy and can buy a whole new setup w/ spindles on ebay. Can get new power booster w/ MC for $140 on ebay.

Well believe it. I'm not questioning his knowledge. Your right he is very knowledgeable. You guys don't know me from a load of wood. I can understand you skepticism. I told him what I had, he said he had what I needed, he sent it, it was wrong. We all make mistakes. The problem is he's not doing business the right way. I've been in the car business since 1982, restored hundreds of cars. I think I know what I'm doing. If I'm wrong then I step up and make it right. I sent the guy pictures with the measurements of what he sent so that he could see that the parts were wrong. Still this guy does nothing. Is he knowledgeable, Yep. Does he do good business. Nope. Just giving a heads up.

Thanks Geof. Also not to be counted out is our very own hemi71X. Jim has probably forgotten more about Mopar suspension and brakes than anyone will ever know. That guy is sharp......even if he doesn't like me and has me on ignore.

I thought rustang k h disc calipers were the same?

L
Well believe it. I'm not questioning his knowledge. Your right he is very knowledgeable. You guys don't know me from a load of wood. I can understand you skepticism. I told him what I had, he said he had what I needed, he sent it, it was wrong. We all make mistakes. The problem is he's not doing business the right way. I've been in the car business since 1982, restored hundreds of cars. I think I know what I'm doing. If I'm wrong then I step up and make it right. I sent the guy pictures with the measurements of what he sent so that he could see that the parts were wrong. Still this guy does nothing. Is he knowledgeable, Yep. Does he do good business. Nope. Just giving a heads up.

I'm not doubting you have a problem with Craig, and I'm not saying that he isn't abrasive, crass, and not a good business man! I've seen how he works, he rides from large show to large show in a 1980's Chevy Van, stuffed full of parts! He answers questions at the shows with the same abrasive, crass attitude, but he knows his stuff! Why he got your order wrong is something I can't speak to, and once again my initial post was 6 years ago, but I still see him at every show, and I have gotten the correct parts every time!! You're one guy, bashing him in a public forum, and you joined here just to bash him on a thread that's 6 years old and bring nothing else to the site???

Are there more dissatisfied customers of his?? No doubt there are, as with any business, not every customer is a happy customer! But how many satisfied customers does he have when he deals with 100's of people a day at the large shows?? Should he try to make it right with you?? Of course, but I'll bet his story is totally different, as are ours!! Let's just leave it at that!!

Just happened to come upon this thread -- and figured I would respond to all who would like to read it.....
This is Craig, Mobile Parts, Long Island, New York --- and I have serviced EVERYONE like I care -- because I DO....
I give you all the information you need to know, I share my knowledge with you, I have some INCREDIBLE N.O.S. Parts that I have
spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for through the course of time -- and try and bring everyone a reasonable price, at the far end, too......

That Terry Hancock from Missouri -- he wanted to modify a PERFECT/ Original MOPAR part -- and wanted me to pay for his modification --
I offered him a FULL refund even -- and that wasn't good enough.............

I have NEVER taken advantage of ANYONE in my entire life and will not (my wife passed way too young -- and I AM going to heaven to see
her again.....)

-
Back