Mopar Dizzy w/Mallory Guts – Setting Advance

-

pntastar69

Reaction score
Circa 2002 – restored the Dart and bought the mopar dizzy kit w/orange ECU and Harness. Mild 360 at the time, didn’t pay too much attention to the timing, ran well, no issues w/performance at that time.
Moving ahead 15 years and several mods, latest one comp XE268 hyd flat tappet, comp pro roller rockers, KB 107’s bring comp up to 9.4:1. Broke in the cam and found that It’ll run ok w/10* init, 40* mech and total 50*. The plan was to set it at 16* init, 18* mech all in at 34* around 2400 rpm. Its is a street car, 355 gears, 4 speed, MSD 6AL, stock crank n rods, stock heads mildly ported, Eddy perf RPM intake, holley 670.

So I saw that Don at FBO has the advance limiter disk so I ordered it to bring in the timing where it should be. Tore the dizzy apart only to find out it has Mallory guts and the disk won’t work. Seems I can adjust the slot openings but I have no reference point with out the Mallory Advance Curve kit with the plastic sticks to set the mech advance. Without the plastic inserts, does anyone have a ballpark slot opening I can dial in my timing with little effort?

I do have the old dizzy that I can install Don’s disk making it a little easier instead of trial and error dialing in the Mallory unit.

Should I go w/the old dizzy w/Don’s disk or try sorting out the right slot opening in the Mallory unit.

Thanks,

Circa 2002 – restored the Dart and bought the mopar dizzy kit w/orange ECU and Harness. Mild 360 at the time, didn’t pay too much attention to the timing, ran well, no issues w/performance at that time.
Moving ahead 15 years and several mods, latest one comp XE268 hyd flat tappet, comp pro roller rockers, KB 107’s bring comp up to 9.4:1. Broke in the cam and found that It’ll run ok w/10* init, 40* mech and total 50*. The plan was to set it at 16* init, 18* mech all in at 34* around 2400 rpm. Its is a street car, 355 gears, 4 speed, MSD 6AL, stock crank n rods, stock heads mildly ported, Eddy perf RPM intake, holley 670.

So I saw that Don at FBO has the advance limiter disk so I ordered it to bring in the timing where it should be. Tore the dizzy apart only to find out it has Mallory guts and the disk won’t work. Seems I can adjust the slot openings but I have no reference point with out the Mallory Advance Curve kit with the plastic sticks to set the mech advance. Without the plastic inserts, does anyone have a ballpark slot opening I can dial in my timing with little effort?

I do have the old dizzy that I can install Don’s disk making it a little easier instead of trial and error dialing in the Mallory unit.

Should I go w/the old dizzy w/Don’s disk or try sorting out the right slot opening in the Mallory unit.

Thanks,
Check with Ray......Hailfaxhops.... @halifaxhops

Thanks,

If the Mallory gut use anything but a magnetic trigger, toss them. Nothing wrong with a well-adjusted stock Mopar electronic dizzy.

not sure if this is what you need. ignore if its wrong.

Summit Racing® YH and YT Series Advance Curve Kits SUM-850535-1
sum-850535-1_xl.jpg

If you can get what's in post 4 get it.
Setting the curve on the Mallory is easy. Once you get it close if you don't like it you don't have to pull the distributor out of the car to change it.

Get ahold of "Crackedback" I believe. He had some measurements (drill sizes) to take the place of that expensive gauge kit

According to my calipers...

14 = .130"
16 = .147"
18 = .165"
20 = .183"
22 = .202"
24 = .220"
26 = .238"
28 = .257"

You're welcome.

The nice thing about that advance unit is once you get it close you can make small changes that are finer that what the keys are by using key stock and filing (or milling it down) to inbetween sizes. Or is drill bits that are the in between sizes.

Got it to come in at 34* with trial and error, had to pull the dizzy a few times. Had to close up the slots more than .165". Still need to tweak the initial.
Those sticks in the photo all look the same. Must be the angle.

Yes they do. I don't even have a set I just do them on the machine, prob will buy one at that price. Pretty sure that is distrib advance not engine advance, have to measure the next time when I set one up. I do like the mallories have one on my car.

Do you know the number on the distributor curious if it is a MP unit.

I'll check later. As mentioned above, I bought the mopar kit back in early 2000, dizzy, orange ECU and wiring harness.

Trying to figure out when MP went to that style the earlier ones are pretty much normal distribs with a different curve and springs
dizzy sheet 1.PNG
dizzy sheet 2.PNG
dizzy sheet 3.PNG

-
Back