Mopar gods are smiling today!!! super six found

-

player1up

Reaction score
I was tooling around a yard today and just about to leave when a metallic blue front fender caught my eye.. upon further inspection it was a sweet 79 volare ( only thing I found wrong was a broken grill). I tried popping the hood and almost gave up when I saw the broken latch... after a few minutes the hood sprung free.........

Thats when I saw it..... un molested super six....!!!!

HOWEVER I was supposed to be "just looking" so with no tools, no cash and no time, I slammed the hood in hopes that would dicourage any would be scavengers, I went to the front to see what it would cost me.....

The mopar gods smiled once again when the dude behind the counter said...

$65 for the carb, both manifolds and the air cleaner....

OK OK now on to my question...

What all do I need to get?

here is what I know I need:
carb
intake and exhaust manifolds
air cleaner.

IMG00045 (Small).jpg

IMG00047 (Small).jpg

Thanks,
The guy also said that the thing ran like a champ when it came in,..

The owner is a 50's-60's chrysler fan.

looks like I'm playing hookie from work on monday to pick it up :)

awesome. that should fetch a pretty penny once restored. I would even get the master cylinder if it is aluminum and in good shape.

daves66valiant said:
awesome. that should fetch a pretty penny once restored. I would even get the master cylinder if it is aluminum and in good shape.

Iv seen just the kickdown linkage on ebay go for 45-65 bucks!

I've gathered my tools and am taking monday afternoon off work :)
Yeah it seemed like a good deal, but I'm getting it for the daily driver. It is burried treasure but, I'm keeping it!!
I'm getting anything that will fit my car..
Should I get the power brake booster to convert my car later?
I have non-power disc brakes - is it even worth it to upgrade? I have driven both power and non power and it seems that I can hardly tell the difference.. don't even know what is involved for the swap.

Make Sure Before You Go To All The Trouble Of Pulling That Stuff
Off,that You Pull The Carb First.pull The Carb And Make Sure The
Floor Of The Manifold Is Not Cracked.i Had Found One At U-pull-it
And Didn't Discover The Crack Until I Got It Home.i Have Heard That
This Is Common On The Aluminum Manifolds.i Guess Thats Why
New York Telephone Co. Used To Buy Them From Me 3 At A Time,
Back In The Day.

Were the blocks on these super sixes made of Aluminum? Not up on my /6's, but I thought they made a model with those lite blocks. I heard they were very "pourous" and leaked antifreeze after a few years. Might be worth it to snag the engine also if it is a lightweight block.

I think the only year for the aluminum block /6 was 62. A friend of mine had a 62 Lancer GT with the aluminum block. It had no problems and was never touched. He had another 62 Lancer sedan with the same engine and it too was a gem. They weren't as bad as you think. I guess it all depends on how it's maintained.

-
Back