Mopar Guys and Titles

-

Willyrd

Reaction score
As I scour through my local Craigslist I've noticed that mopar guys don't really like to keep track of titles, has anyone else noticed?

Not just us.

All makes, after a full paragraph about how much they "have in it" and 20 photos of the door jambs but none of the entire car or the full quarter panels, at the end of the description right after "no low ballers", is "asking 5000 firm" and "no title".

3 or the 4 old Mopar’s I’ve bought didn’t have titles. I got the cars cheap and it’s not hard to legally get a title.

3 or the 4 old Mopar’s I’ve bought didn’t have titles. I got the cars cheap and it’s not hard to legally get a title.
Depends on your state!!!! Some states recognize paper from 'NON title states like Ga, Al. just need bill of sale, not even notorized. BUT is the grand state (republic) of Texas, no title means I can purchase a bond for a bonded title, Long story to explain!
NO title many times means some one found an old car is a cow pasture and drug it home, thus on CL with all the BS!!!!!

If the untitled car is fond in your state, heck with DMV there and see what in needed for title. Sometimes if it is titled in your state, "someone" can apply for a lost title mailed to your address. and run with it.

It is super hard to get a title for a vehicle here in WV if it has never been put in your name.
It can be done, but it will be issued a WV vin number.

Scrap yards will not even take a car without a title, when the price of junk was high a few years ago, low-lifes were taking broke down cars from along side the road, and hauling them in for scrap.
After an alarming number of cars were coming up stolen, the state required any car being sold for scrap metal have a title.

There are a number of states that do not keep record of cars built before a certain year. Kicker is IF your state recognizes this and accepts their billod=f sale or registration to give you a title. Sometimes as Tx does, a bonded title issued by the court. If I was in WV and they would give the car their VIN I would NOT buy a car there without a clear title!!
Do a search and there are tons of threads here on TITLES!

I've had to do it in MN very time consuming. They want you to try to make contact with the previous owners. I spent hours on the phone tracing owners back, all the way to dealerships. Once you hit a dead end I had to send certified letters to the last known owner in hopes they either have the title or willing to sign something saying they sold you the car. Once the letter was sent there was a waiting period. Then after all that you can make a court date to get a title through a judge. At that time it cost me about $150 for the court, then the title cost, but not counting my time to do all the leg work.

In VT anything over 15 years old does not require a title to be registered, just a bill of sale signed by the seller (no notary required). I've done this many times. I suppose there is a process that involves red tape if you actually want to get a title, but I've never bothered with it. If your planning to have a daily driver or a car you intend on keeping it's easy to get it legally registered. Many times I actually seek out the "non title" vehicles for this reason.

Back in Missouri, before I moved to Tx. I could walk in the DMV with a bill of sale from Joe IN Ga. (non title state on before '84 cars), if it was not registered in MO, get an ID/OD and send for title. If it was registered in Mo. just needed the bill of sale.
I still own land in Mo. and I have a buddy that is getting me ID/OD on my Tx bought Duster ( no b/s), they are his buds and will write it for him , in my name, and I can send off to Mo. with that and Ga b/s for MO. title.
NO, don't ask........

In VT anything over 15 years old does not require a title to be registered, just a bill of sale signed by the seller (no notary required). I've done this many times. I suppose there is a process that involves red tape if you actually want to get a title, but I've never bothered with it. If your planning to have a daily driver or a car you intend on keeping it's easy to get it legally registered. Many times I actually seek out the "non title" vehicles for this reason.

Yes and they look up a "book price" for what it is worth an charge you sales tax based on that!!!! Their prices are NUTS!!!!!
And IF I had that Vt. title, and transfer it to Tx then Tx charges me a $100 to transfer that title to TX title so I can get a antique Tx tag, that has to be renewed every friggin yer. Mo. issues a antique tag good forever!!!!! Such is the world! ha

Yes and they look up a "book price" for what it is worth an charge you sales tax based on that!!!! Their prices are NUTS!!!!!
And IF I had that Vt. title, and transfer it to Tx then Tx charges me a $100 to transfer that title to TX title so I can get a antique Tx tag, that has to be renewed every friggin yer. Mo. issues a antique tag good forever!!!!! Such is the world! ha

If it's a project car you can get a licensed appraiser to sign off on actual value so you don't pay sales tax on blue book, but you are right about the sales tax charge on a project vehicle being crazy vs actual value if you don't take this route.
Sounds like a good reason to hold onto your MO land...

WA state is like MN, you need to try and track down the last registered owner, send a registered letter, wait 14 days, if no answer you take proof of all this to the Hwy patrol and they issue you a temp title good for 3 years, if no one comes forward in 3 years a permanent title is issued. Not impossible but a PIA, main reason I will not entertain a vehicle without a title unless its just for parts.

There are a number of states that do not keep record of cars built before a certain year. Kicker is IF your state recognizes this and accepts their billod=f sale or registration to give you a title. Sometimes as Tx does, a bonded title issued by the court. If I was in WV and they would give the car their VIN I would NOT buy a car there without a clear title!!
Do a search and there are tons of threads here on TITLES!

That is why I would never buy a car without a title in WV, too much of a headache.

I lost a 71 Cuda one time, because I did not title it in my name, really nice running and driving car.
The title was in my house, and my house burnt down, good-bye title.
I ended up parting a real nice car out, because it became a paperwork nightmare.

That is why I would never buy a car without a title in WV, too much of a headache.

I lost a 71 Cuda one time, because I did not title it in my name, really nice running and driving car.
The title was in my house, and my house burnt down, good-bye title.
I ended up parting a real nice car out, because it became a paperwork nightmare.

apply for lost title!??????

why not just buy a vin plate with a title and rivet that to the dash?

stir.gif

Yup. Registered my Duster in Vermont. Ran it like that for about a year, took the VT paperwork into the Ky dmv and got a Ky title in my name.

It is super hard to get a title for a vehicle here in WV if it has never been put in your name.
It can be done, but it will be issued a WV vin number.

Scrap yards will not even take a car without a title, when the price of junk was high a few years ago, low-lifes were taking broke down cars from along side the road, and hauling them in for scrap.
After an alarming number of cars were coming up stolen, the state required any car being sold for scrap metal have a title.
Same here.

Come to Georgia and get a title on a car that's been registered without one. You cannot. Ain't happenin.

Antique plates are good for 5 years in Texas and require no inspection except first time if titling from out of state.

Antique plates are good for 5 years in Texas and require no inspection except first time if titling from out of state.
Thanks. Good to know. I thought state sent me a notice and said antique I got last yr had expired. I said screw it, and did not renew! Just drive it anyway.

FIRST question I ask...."does it has paperwork and a clean title? "
I don't need the hassle. ....

Jeff

It was no problem back in Mo. getting titles thru Ga. so I always LOOKED for good cars with NO title. Prices reflected that.

Tx. is a different duck with the cost of a bonded title and waiting 3 years for a "real" title'.

The hassle depends on your state.

-
Back