Mopar 'HEI' Drop in distributors.

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
well, more like an "Electronic drop in distributor".....wanna know what makes them tick? A Bosch 4 pin ignition module. Thats about it. Just a module that reads the VR signal of the flying rotor and then drives a coil.
remember to use a heat sink compound and a metal bolt/ground from the bolt boss as that is the ground
IMG_20170401_190358164_HDR.jpg

modulewiring.gif

Last edited:
I prefer taking a good old dizzy from Ma Mopar with a hidden HEI unit under it using the Designed to Drive adapter. Less intrusive, and HEI modules grow on trees...

-Kurt

Use the 5 pin version and get yourself a built in 10 degree retard via a ground switch. Wire it to your starter relay via a relay to ground and you got a cheap starter saver.

Regarding "HEI" there ain't but one real HEI and that ain't it.

Just picked up one of those drop in distributors for my 1 ton 318. Initial results are very good. Timing is solid and truck runs like a champ. Far better than it did with points.

sb

The Bosch BIM024 module appears to also be a variable dwell ignition module that is similar to the 4-pin HEI module. If you already have an electronic ignition distributor, it is straight forward to replace the Mopar ignition module with a 4-pin HEI or BIM024. I think GM parts are much easier to find in junkyards, which is where I got everything for my own HEI upgrade.

Just FYI what the modules are just signal amplifiers. No magic there they take a small dc pulse and magnify it to a usable amount kind of like a set of points do but with a pickup and a reluctor. IE no variations at different speeds like point do when they float. Nice clean/crisp signal.

I prefer the GM 8-pin HEI, which was the last version (85-95 trucks, 85-93 V-8 cars). A GM cable connects it to the GM "external coil", so grab all that, plus the pickup connector. It has sealed connectors (Metripak type). Triggers fine from a Mopar e-distributor (~1971+). The timing can be commanded from a modern engine controller (Holley Commander 950, Megasquirt, ...). To go further, grab the GM knock sensor and module, which the Holley can use. The knock sensor can screw into your block drain.

-
Back