Mopar Performance Lifters

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
A customer came in today that owns a machine shop and was buying a set of factory lifters for a 454. (I manage the Parts Department at a GM dealer)

We got to talking about lifter quality and.he said the factory stuff is the only ones worth a darn anymore. I told him I was surprised they were still available from GM. He said that they just did a 340 and Mopar still offers them.

I haven't called down to our local dealer yet to confirm but found this part no. online. P4006767AB

Anybody have any experience with the "factory flat tappet lifters"

He also said most guys complain about the cams and in his experience it's the lifters. He also uses Ken at Oregon cams exclusively.

My understanding is these are a different vender than the
old days and NOT the American Johnson Sourced stuff from the old days.
I see they are about $30. each on E bay.

Rick Eherenburg has a set reasonably priced on eBay at his store Ricks Mopars. He doesn’t sell junk.

312C9FBE-2A88-44B7-AB54-B97241BB9D5F.png

3324CDF8-C36C-4F6E-A98E-F9CE3606901D.png

Clay Smith - has [USA] made [LA] hyd lifters, help support those remaining companies that actually care about preserving their reputation.

I have been using their products since the 1960's
I will be racing heads up their 340 Cuda @ about
12:30 PST in E/SA andit will be televised I believe on NHRA
TV if anyone gets it! The race should be with a couple
inches at finish if the Drivers both do their Jobs today!

I have been using their products since the 1960's
I will be racing heads up their 340 Cuda @ about
12:30 PST in E/SA andit will be televised I believe on NHRA
TV if anyone gets it! The race should be with a couple
inches at finish if the Drivers both do their Jobs today!
Get er Done! Good Luck!

There' not one thing "high performance" about those TINY wire clips holding the plungers in. No way would I use those. You have at it.
Are those clips any worse than any other clips you have seen on aftermarket lifters?

How many clip failure are there? Especially compared to worn off cam lobes.

Are those clips any worse than any other clips you have seen on aftermarket lifters?
If lifters have those tiny wire clips, I don't use them, regardless of the brand. This is what I look for in any style lifter. These are Lunati Micro Trol lifters.
MICRO TROL.jpg

How many clip failure are there? Especially compared to worn off cam lobes.
Rusty Rat Rod knows what he is talking about!

I have seen dozens of them over the years on Race cars (Not mine after the first time
on my car)!

If you are intent on using inferior lifters = Replace the clips with true arc clips
of the right size. While you are at it, shim some of the useless extra travel out of them
with washers.

Last edited:
I just had 2 Lunati Micro Trols go bad on me and wiped out 2 cam lobes. I thought they were the top of the line. Didnt even have 50 miles on them. They must have been defective, they had huge chunks chipped off. Never seen them do that before. And yes, the cam was broken in right

I run only the early American made Johnson Lifters with the
above modifications
Our stockers routinely see 7500 thru the lights!!

According to Mike Jones [ aka Camking, Speedtalk moderator ], there is only one company in the US making FT lifters......& they are expensive. The rest are made elsewhere...
The Lunati lifters may well be the cheapie lifters with a 5c circlip fitted. None of the cam companies make their own lifters.

Contact M. Jones on SpeedTalk. Do not know if he has Mopar lifters.

I just had a Micro trol lifter wipe out a lobe for me . Bought a vodoo cam and lifter kit 3yrs ago. The lifters that came in the kit bled down. So , I put in the Micro trol . Not as bad but still bled down when sitting , sometimes for only 10 min . Has worked good when running for 2,1/2 years ,then today came a little noise from valve gear . One rocker was loose (adjustable) So , off with the rockershaft and out with the lifter and , yes , a bowl in the lifter and damaged lobe . Really need to get the best now . Good thread .

I just had a Micro trol lifter wipe out a lobe for me . Bought a vodoo cam and lifter kit 3yrs ago. The lifters that came in the kit bled down. So , I put in the Micro trol . Not as bad but still bled down when sitting , sometimes for only 10 min . Has worked good when running for 2,1/2 years ,then today came a little noise from valve gear . One rocker was loose (adjustable) So , off with the rockershaft and out with the lifter and , yes , a bowl in the lifter and damaged lobe . Really need to get the best now . Good thread .
Not good to hear, they`re what I have.
My ride sets a week at a time and I`ll get about a 1sec. rattle.:realcrazy:

Let me know if I'm wrong but it seems like these things are so crappy they're not even lasting that long... in other words I hope you're good man
I don`t like it. My b-cuda`s 340 was built back at the turn of the century, with a Crane cam and who knows whos lifters, sets a week at a time and it doesn`t rattle on cold start.
The micro-trols were not cheapo`s imo. Again, I don`t like it, I could see setting a month or so, but it gets started weekly year round and run up to temp at least.:(

I had two Micro Trols go bad. Called Lunati and the first thing they said was only two things will wipe out a cam lobe, not enough zddp and to much spring pressure. I told them I took out the inner spring and added a zinc additive. He said send it in and we will look at it. Im going to bet they say it was my fault. Oh well, it only cost $10 to send it to them. alot of people are getting bad lifters

-
Back