Mopar SS leaf springs

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone got pics of a 67-72 Dart with SS Springs ? Im particulaty interested in cars that have the higher arched spring installed on both sides.

I had them on the silver swinger but not two RH springs.

Just an FYI that is going to make it sit level, but high AF... There are better options out there.

Make it sit level and incorrect for the race track. It'll be harder to tune to go straight.

Make it sit level and incorrect for the race track. It'll be harder to tune to go straight.

Is that really true though? I've never tried running two RH or two LH. I run stock style springs, which are identical side to side. They sit level and work fine at the track.

Is that really true though? I've never tried running two RH or two LH. I run stock style springs, which are identical side to side. They sit level and work fine at the track.
Is what true? That using two of the same springs will make it sit level? Yes.

Or that using the springs as designed will cause the car to launch straight? Yes.

Or that using two same part numbers will make it more difficult to tune a good launch? Yes.

Take your pick. lol

For a car that sees track time, all one needs to do is read the MP suspension book, install some SS springs, set it up like the book says and it'll fall in place. Nothing like having instructions, but people still try to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
SS springs are designed to be different side to side.People that install like springs on both sides do it for convenience (or bragging rights). If you have a light car and a lot of horsepower under the hood you may need a lot more tire, slicks, SS springs, Cal Tracks, or ladder bar suspension and a drag strip for it all to work and hook.

SS springs are designed to be different side to side.People that install like springs on both sides do it for convenience (or bragging rights). If you have a light car and a lot of horsepower under the hood you may need a lot more tire, slicks, SS springs, Cal Tracks, or ladder bar suspension and a drag strip for it all to work and hook.
Every car I've ever had with SS springs hooked and lanuched straight as a ****. They flat out WORK.

Every car I've ever had with SS springs hooked and lanuched straight as a ****. They flat out WORK.
Yes, Look at all the Super Stock Mopars with big wedges and Hemi's. Nothing more than SS springs and a adjustable snubber.

This thread kind of reminds me of the "I have a 65 Barracuda with a 8 3/4 rear diff, 3.55 posi, A833 "hemi" 4 speed, and 10" tire."
thread. :rofl::rofl::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

All the footage I see of Mopars launching ,the left front tire pulls up at a minimum, now Herb Mcandlesse's modified Demon did a wheel stand, but Im talking about you and me strip built a bodies the left front comes up, which would mean the right rear is digging in and taking all the weight...so which SS spring goes on the right rear?

some friends were using stock spring set up on a 64 Savoy wagon with a Max wedge running in stock eliminator and it always pulled one wheel a lot higher than the other. They installed a complete Cal Tracs system and the car launched absolutely flat, and when they got it back to the shop the pinion was sticking way up in the air. Careful inspection showed the spiral cracks in the rear housing paint where the better hook up had twisted both axle tubes:lol:. Can you say Dana?

All the footage I see of Mopars launching ,the left front tire pulls up at a minimum, now Herb Mcandlesse's modified Demon did a wheel stand, but Im talking about you and me strip built a bodies the left front comes up, which would mean the right rear is digging in and taking all the weight...so which SS spring goes on the right rear?

THe SS spring that has more arch. But they are labeled R and L

It seems it would be a little dependent on how much tire and horsepower you were putting to the ground. On a moderate output 400 horsepower setup I'm sure you would probably see no ill effects of running the same spring on both sides especially for a car that sees 95% of its time on the street. But power and torque go up it would be definite advantage of running a heavier spring on one side.

so is it a stiffer ride or softer than stock? I would think softer...

Depends on the car weight you choose. they are sold based on the cars race weight. I found going one step under was best all around. That didn't yield a rough ride.

But.. You will notice a difference in how the car handles when turning right or left. The car will handle better turning left.

this is me in my old car( blue duster, 422W5 deal) dialed 9.85, racing a 9.92 car, he went red
Serious SS/AH type wheelstand

002/003 leafs, no snubber, CE 3 ways all around, tripping beams with the backs

Wouldn't tripping the beams with the rear tires kill your R/T? unless you left super early?

Wouldn't tripping the beams with the rear tires kill your R/T? unless you left super early?
Yes it does. But the light at the other end is the only one that counts. I put limiters on the front suspension. I only had about 1” of front end travel.

Yes it does. But the light at the other end is the only one that counts. I put limiters on the front suspension. I only had about 1” of front end travel.

Well, unless it's heads up, your R/T matters.

-
Back