Mopars at Englishtown R.I.P.

-

tonysrt

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just checked the schedule at E town and no listing of a Mopar event in August. I've been going there for years when it was started by Jack's Auto Parts in the 80's. The first year was the best with all the big vendors in attendance. The IRS came in that first year and none of the vendors returned. It was on life support after that, but continued with a very modest attendance. I've sold parts there the last few years and was looking forward to getting rid of the rest of my B engine parts, but I guess that's not going to happen. I went to Carlisle this year and was a little disappointed at the decrease in major vendor attendance. Thought of going to Nats in Columbus but a 500 mile trip for more disappointment. Now I'll just wait for sales and free shipping and order on line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the schedule at E town and no listing of a Mopar event in August. I've been going there for years when it was started by Jack's Auto Parts in the 80's. The first year was the best with all the big vendors in attendance. The IRS came in that first year and none of the vendors returned. It was on life support after that, but continued with a very modest attendance. I've sold parts there the last few years and was looking forward to getting rid of the rest of my B engine parts, but I guess that's not going to happen. I went to Carlisle this year and was a little disappointed at the decrease in major vendor attendance. Thought of going to Nats in Columbus but a 500 mile trip for more disappointment. Now I'll just wait for sales and free shipping and order on line.
I attended the car show and swap meet this past wknd in Elkhorn, WI. Talkedvto a few guys and saw a lot of vendors who were selling out. Seems the internet is doing damage to swap meet and car corral sales at these events. I fear that in a few short years the smaller events will be gone.

In case you've been under a rock, ETown ceased drag racing activities earlier this year. Mopars at ETown had been in decline for a long time, last few years were pretty pathetic. Pretty certain keeping that show alive was not at the top of their priority list.

Apparently some of the larger vendors like Mancini have been skipping Carlisle because of the tax situation. Still an awesome event, always have a great time.

Mopars at The Valley is in the fall, that's a great time and a little bit better swap meet than Etown.

In case you've been under a rock, ETown ceased drag racing activities earlier this year. Mopars at ETown had been in decline for a long time, last few years were pretty pathetic. Pretty certain keeping that show alive was not at the top of their priority list.

Apparently some of the larger vendors like Mancini have been skipping Carlisle because of the tax situation. Still an awesome event, always have a great time.

Mopars at The Valley is in the fall, that's a great time and a little bit better swap meet than Etown.

What tax situation would that be?

They have a Mopar show at Maple Grove Raceway... August 26th I think.. Also spring and fall swapmeets they have also...

The tax situation was that vendors for the most part were not collecting tax on sold items and would not report it to the state of New Jersey. Since I don't drag race, I only went there for the NHRA races and the swap meets. The way they built up around Etown, it was just a matter of time before the racing was a thing of the past. One day we'll read about the track being a thing of the past when a builder offers the owner the right price.

My wife and I attended and sold parts @ E-town from the second year . At one year , I can't remember when , the New Jersey Department of Revenue was at the gate when vendors arrived , they assessed my inventory ,made me get a tax number , and issued me a bill for $200.40 for the sales tax on my inventory . I asked them what if I didn't sell all my inventory ? They informed me to apply for a rebate which could take several months . I was just a guy working out of his garage on a part time basis . The sad part is that the tax person spoke with a foreign accent . The same thing happened to me in Taxachusetts @ their big swap in Mansfield . Again, the Mass. Dept of Revenue agent wasn't even a citizen . We then vended at Mopars @Carlisle , same deal , the tax man . After 13 years of dealing with these leaches we threw in the towel .

I enjoyed watching all the 440 six pack roadrunners run each other. First and last time I went 15 years ago

Mancini does not go to Carlisle because it cost to much(I understand it does), I asked them last year at Columbus. So I said to them why do you sell in the midway spots or what ever thats called (Its stupid money for those spots) you should move to normal swap spots. If that is still to much then bring a smaller set up. Bring your top selling items and take orders on the rest and mail out when you get back. They are loosing out big time.

Mancini does not go to Carlisle because it cost to much(I understand it does), I asked them last year at Columbus. So I said to them why do you sell in the midway spots or what ever thats called (Its stupid money for those spots) you should move to normal swap spots. If that is still to much then bring a smaller set up. Bring your top selling items and take orders on the rest and mail out when you get back. They are loosing out big time.
I hear that from some vendors at the NATS as well. Manufacturers Row is very spendy from what I understand. There are a lot of commercial/repop vendors that set up shop in the regular swap meet areas. We have a spot next to Stephens Performance in the first row next to the Vendor parking lot. Ted told me they are moving to the main road for more visibility and I imagine the cost is the same.

What tax situation would that be?

I could be mistaken but it was my understanding that Carlisle Events started 'cracking down' on the larger vendors because they weren't charging PA sales tax at the show, I guess after that it wasn't worthwhile for them to make the trip anymore?

Mancini was never at ETown as far as I can remember so I was just commenting on Carlisle.

-
Back