Mopars brought back from the dead?

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
Any members on here bring their car back, or in the process of bringing their car back from the dead? I mean a car that you had to tow home for whatever reason? I drug my Swinger out of a field in 1993 , the trans was out of it, driveshaft in the back seat. i had to go to another location with a trailer to pick up other parts that came with the car. It has been a long road with this car, but i am starting to get it together. I am interested in similar stories, my car was so beat up, my friends thought I was crazy. One said"piece of ****" the other said"damn, not a straight panel on it" i must add, it was rust free though.:) If anyone has similar story, please tell.

Any members on here bring their car back, or in the process of bringing their car back from the dead? I mean a car that you had to tow home for whatever reason? I drug my Swinger out of a field in 1993 , the trans was out of it, driveshaft in the back seat. i had to go to another location with a trailer to pick up other parts that came with the car. It has been a long road with this car, but i am starting to get it together. I am interested in similar stories, my car was so beat up, my friends thought I was crazy. One said"piece of ****" the other said"damn, not a straight panel on it" i must add, it was rust free though.:) If anyone has similar story, please tell.
lots of them here

Members Restorations

And then you can see the polara I drug out of the mud on a hill here:
1964 polara (440)

Went to buy a 8 3/4 off CL up in the mountains last Jan and found it was still connected to this POS...
No front clip, filled with crap , front suspension all hacked up.

Figured if I removed the rear end it would get scrapped ! So I bought the whole thing for 1200$ with title...
340 4sp 69 R4 Swinger !
20170101_105625.jpg
20170101_105657.jpg
IMG_20170801_121304.jpg

Here it is a few months ago... just have some bodywork and paint left... engine will be done soon .. then assembly
IMG_20171106_202529.jpg

Cool, last Jan? you work fast :) I will have to dig some of my pics out. Spend time working on them when you can, I never seem to have time anymore, but that's going to change :)

lots of them here

Members Restorations

And then you can see the polara I drug out of the mud on a hill here:
1964 polara (440)

I know some people buy their cars running, and if I had the chance to do it over again, well.. its difficult to say. Doing the full restoration thing just about makes you an expert on these cars, and that is worth it to me. I have learned alot and still am learning from my experience. The body and paint work is what excites me as it isn't my strong point, I am better with a wrench than a paint gun. :)

The ‘76 dart sport i had almost 30 years ago. Took the wife to the hospital to have our first child with that car.
Gave it up shortly after that.
Went hunting for a diff for the barracuda,and guy gave it back to me.so its next on my resto list.

I doubt many people would have bothered with my 75 slant 6 Duster rustbucket. In hindsight it wasn't even much of a parts car. lol. But after I had it nearly 10 years it's back on the road. Build thread in my signature...
IMG_0096.jpg

I doubt many people would have bothered with my 75 slant 6 Duster rustbucket. In hindsight it wasn't even much of a parts car. lol. But after I had it nearly 10 years it's back on the road. Build thread in my signature...
View attachment 1715167194
whoa whoa whoa, it took you 10 years??! And all this time you've been giving me a hard time about my dart taking about 4 now?! :poke::lol:

whoa whoa whoa, it took you 10 years??! And all this time you've been giving me a hard time about my dart taking about 4 now?! :poke::lol:
Not about how long it takes. You jump all over and don't seem to get anything done.

Not about how long it takes. You jump all over and don't seem to get anything done.
nah, I just don't post everything I do. I guess I should probably update my build thread :lol:

I know all about that, and when ya own mutiple vehicles... I wish I had a brand new daily commuter and all was fine with the house and the only thing I have to work on is my Dart :)

Lots of them. These 3 are the latest in the last 5 years. 63 Belvedere, 64 Dart, 68 Valiant.All 3 barely ran. No brakes,just clunkers all left for dead.The best thing was they were all complete down to the wheel covers.Hunting for body parts is a killer and expensive. The Dart and Valiant turned out to be great drivers.Everything under the skin new or rebuilt. Still working on the Belvedere.

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_6744.JPG

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

I know all about that, and when ya own mutiple vehicles... I wish I had a brand new daily commuter and all was fine with the house and the only thing I have to work on is my Dart :)
I had other projects and other vehicles, but only the one project vehicle...

Not my A body. It was pretty clean when I bought it and just needed a bunch of mechanical work. My B-Body,.... now that is a different story. I bought it back in 1987 and after blowing the motor as a stupid kid, it sat on the family farm for years! Finally, years later,.... here's a couple picture of it being torn down, and where it is now being rebuilt (metal work complete).

Start 1.jpg

IMG_0559.JPG

7069.jpeg

7071.jpeg

My 66 I played hell getting it winched on the trailer as it was torn mostly apart and left with even the steering unhooked. My 65 was drug of of a field with no floors and life growing up through it. The 66 I had driveable until I spun a main. The 65 is getting there I do have the floors replaced but still need to do the trunk floor.

The 68 Fastback in my avatar was pulled out of a field. As a rolling shell... no interior.. no drivetrain...

Went to buy my dart from a guy that knew a guy that knows a guy that had an old dodge. We showed up with a truck and trailer and some cash. Made a deal, aired up the couple tires that would and pushed and shoved it on the trailer. The guy went into the house to get the title and his wife AKA Mama said he couldn't sell the family project vehicle. He couldn't talk mama out of it so we unstrapped from it and drove the trailer out from under it and left pretty mad.

Buddy of mine had a rusty lightly wrecked triumph spitfire parts car. We pulled off anything usable from it and ended up trading the body and some cash for the dart about a month later. I guess mama loved the thought of the top down and wind in her hair with the spitfire. We loaded up the dart hauled it home and did a complete brake overhaul on the manual 9" drums, put a battery and fuel in it and drove it around town while making it reliable and then I daily drove the old slant 6 dart for 3 years before doing a V8 swap last year. Luckily it didn't break anything when I dumped it off the trailer.
IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG1423.jpg

20171222_203557.jpg

View attachment 1715167355 Top is a pic from just before I tore it down for restoration. It was a running driven car, state inspected and all...same pic in my avatar, I will post more. I may have to scan some of the "old" ones. I have a pic of it sitting in the field the way I found it. Middle is at some point in the paint strip process, I bought a pair of rust free doors, door skins werent available at the time (not that I can remember). Bottom is more recent. This is the first coat of 2K primer, about a year ago.

Dart resized.jpg

dart resto2 026.jpg

Dart 2K Primer.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back