Morale Problem

-

TinyValiant74

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a problem. actually it's more of a morale problem. I've been pulling stuff out of my old 74 Valiant Brougham and everyone I tell about it says the same thing.
"why the hell would you want to do that to a piece of S**t car like that?"
or
"The Valiant was a P.O.S."

it didn't bug me at first, but honestly it's been getting me down after a month of hearing the same thing. I really do want to work on this car, and make it shine better than new. But i've been doing my research and nobody has parts for the damn thing. And i'm wondering if it's really worth it to restore my Valiant. and to add insult to injury, I live across the street from an auto salvage yard that has all kinds of old goodies (Dusters, Monte Carlos, Turenos, Checkers...the list goes on.) I think it's cool but is it really worth it to spend upwards of $10K on this baby?

I'm sorry I don't mean to be a downer, I guess what i'm really after are some success stories from other valiant projects. maybe with some pictues.

thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Well, that's a hard question to answer because I don't know the answer to the first question; "What do you think of this car?"
If, in your mind's eye, you can picture this body style all dolled up and looking sweet, then I say, tell your naysayers to go take a long walk on a short pier. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Other than Mopars, I'm into classic bikes, and I can tell you that the price of some of the old bikes that people probably gave away has skyrocketed as of late, some more than 1000%. For example, a particular bike that sold new in 1961 for less than $500.00 is now worth approximately $11,000.00 restored. This is a bike that, ten years ago, might jave been found on a trash heap or been sold for around $25.00, providing the engine turned over.
So,to answer your question, if you love the car and really want to turn it as a project, don't let anyone else influence your decision. Everyone's opinion of what is cool or valuable is different. A cousin of mine buys and restores Studebakers......at a HUGE profit......because he loves the cars for what they are, and there are thousands of people out there like him. Not everyone has a jones for a hemi 'cuda. Be true to your own heart and tell everyone else where to go, if that's where your interest lies.
And I'm sure you'll find plenty of people out there, as well as on this forum, who agree with your point of view. :thumbup:

You will not be happy if you try to make others happy about what you have. If you like the car, build it. There is a whole site here dedicated to people who love their rides and don't care what anybody thinks of them. Get a vision, and persue it. Pics of other's cars will only go so far. Forget the naysayers, what do you want? If you can't justify spending the dough and time on the car, find someone who can and will. If you don't like it, don't look for justification from others not to build it, go with what you want. But realize, these A-bodies are disappearing fast.

If you are building it for profit only, and have no real interest in it, be careful on how far you go. This can be very difficult to do, especially in a short amount of time.

Right now I am doing the opposite. I am building a ride because others like them more than I, but I see a chance to profit from it. It's a '71 big block El Camino. I have to be careful that I don't get so much dough in it that it will take years to get out of it. Eventually , though, I will have the dough to jump on a car of my dreams like a '63 Polara or '64 Sport Fury. Time will tell. Now the Polara is not the biggest attention getter on the planet, but I love 'em, and I don't care what anybody says about them. I will build it the way I want and never mind what my friends and neighbors may say.

Hope this helps some how. It really always will come down to you. Do you want it?

Hey TV,

If the Valiant is the car you wanted, stick with it. And tell these so-called buddies to stick it to. There are lots of Valiants on this board. There are even some Red Headed Stepson Scamps. They are all cool cars. Some are hopped up and some aren't, it doesn't matter. What matters is what the owners of them think of them.
As far as parts, most of the mechanical parts are interchangable from one A-body to another and just mention that you are looking for something and you usually will get a response from somebody that has what you are looking for.

Jack

Don't fret about it. If you like the car it dosen't mean squat what others think. I've heard the same comments from people for years and most times they would start to think that pos Mopar is cool after all. I remember one new Plymouth that sat on a Chrysler Plymouth Dealers Lot in Lebanon Tn. for over two years. Nobody would buy it. All the car guys would look at it and say things like "who would ever drive an ugly pos like that". Oh yea that Plymouth was a Superbird.
What ever you decide just be sure to have fun with your project.
Later Bob

You can get almost all, if not all the parts, to restore your 74 Valiant Brougham. I've got a '75 Scamp and have bought all new weatherstripping for it and many other parts. Just need to know what parts are interchangable. You can use front sheetmetal (fenders, hood, grille, etc) off a '73 & up Dusters. Trim aft of the front fenders off ~'73 & up Darts fit as well. Interior bits are the same from from '73 to '76 Darts, Scamps and forward of the front seats, Dusters and Dart Sports. Mechanically, you can use parts off '70 to '76 Darts, Valiants, Dart Sports, Demons, Dusters etc. The front suspension changed a little in '73 and the wheelbases were different depending on body style so if you're not looking for front brakes, and drive shafts, then you've got 7 years worth of parts cars to look from.

I've got a spreadsheet of parts that I bought for mine (vendor & price); it took a bit of searching but it's helping me budget the project, track what I have and what I still need. All the parts are available but not if you ask for parts for a '74 Brougham.

My grandmother bought the Scamp new, kept everything for it (orginal bill of sale, sales brochure, dealership key chain, warranty cards, etc) and it only has 60,000 miles on it. Yeah it's only got a 318 and it's not a 340 Duster/Demon or '70-'72 Dart but that's not important to me. I don't live to please others or live to have what most others want... that would be a never ending project.

onehellofadart said:
Ricky Nelson said it a long time ago, "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself!"

LOL! "Garden Party"! Man, that's a blast from the past, but he's absolutely right. If you have a vision and and your not trying to turn a profit, go for it. The hell with everyone else. I'm building a '74 Ramcharger right now, and it's truly a labor of love. I will never make a profit on this beast, but it will suit my needs perfectly for far less than I can buy a new truck. It will tow the fiance's race car to the track, tow the my A-Body of choice when I finally get one, and take me fishing and camping here in Colorado in places that "Fake 4WD" could never go. I'll have about 8 grand in it including the purchase price ($400) and I'd be lucky to get $3500 when it's done.
But...I'll get 100,000 miles out of it, and it will be done exactly the way I want it with no compromises.

F what everyone else thinks. If this Valiant will suit your needs and give you that "Super Fine Riding Feeling" when it's done and you're cruising, stick with it and see it out till the end. Be paitent, it takes time to do good work. If you truly have doubts (and I mean you, not your "friends") sell it now then decide what you want. Don't build what you don't want unless there's some money in it for you.

Maybe this will perk you up! Here's a pic of my Ramcharger progress, Just got the engine in!

sideview.JPG

You have a great car Tiny!!
I am looking for a good deal on one know!!
You may have some friends around you that can not see past there own noses.
Some people are not happy with there own car so they try to make others feel the same way about there car.
Make your self happy and have a good time doing your 74 Valiant.

74.jpg

A couple of things; I used to get ragged on all of the time by people because before I has a Mopar guy I was a Buick guy. I heard it all, grandma's car, mom's car, etc all it did was modivate me more to show them they were wrong and I did. I build a Buick that ran low 12's in the early 80's and handed their asses to them daily. Also there is nothing wrong with a Valiant it has a pretty cool heritage. The early Barracudas were Valiants before they became their own line in '67. A Duster is also a technically a Valiant, look at any factory literature. So fix that thing up they way you want it and let them whine.

Chuck

I agree, build it for yourself, an oddball car like that will never be worth what you put into it. If you don't like the car, then why do it, there are other ways to throw away money. If you sink tons of money into the car without it being what you want, it does not make any sense since you can buy a car in better condition for less that you will spend to get it in the same condition.

Sounds to me that you are talking to the wrong people. Freinds are supposed to give encouragement, Maybe you should tell your freinds how you really feel about there negative comments. Let them know your serious about rebuilding your car. If they still rag you then just don't include them in that part of your life. Man, Just look at all of the positive feedback here!
Sometimes people want to see you fail just so it makes them feel better about their failures.
I say, If you really see this as something you want to do then the hell with everyone else. Build that car just as you envision it. It may not be easy and there may be road block after road block but, In the end you will be proud of your accomplishments and have something nobody else does.

good luck with your car which ever way it turns out. If not the Valiant.....maybe something else.

In short, i have real philosophical answer to the naysayer's comments: F--- them!! Besides, think of it this way; if all of us Mopar guys really wanted to get up together and badmouth other makes of cars in unison, just as the other brand loyalists do, they would feel the same why. But i like to think us Mopar mavens are much better than that and let our works of art and racing prowess speak for itself. They are just mouthing off crap without any real facts. If they want talk crud, they should have factual information behind it in a perfect world. But they dont. If i or anyone else really felt like it, we could call Ford out for there 10 second 0-60 MPH mid 70's Mustangs or the late 70's Chevy Corvette, which ran high 15's only( even though its quick, not quick by Vette standards) and got beat out for fastest American car in 1978 by our Lil Red Express truck with a 360. But i just keep quiet and smile to myself, knowing the true facts behind their assnine comments. Not only that, i respect cars in general. So build that Brougham and show me your bad ride when your done. DO IT YOUR WAY!! lol...

My first Mopar was a 74 valiant 4 door.

It was dark gold metallic, almost beige with black interior.

It had a built 318 with a non sure grip rear, but sounded great with duals and glass packs.

I put a set of keystone classics on it that I got for free, and fixed the quarter panel rust and touched up the paint with auto parts store rattle can rustoleum.

I was 19 Y/O and all my buddies thought it was the coolest car to cruise in, and would shred the (tire) at will, and we never had any problems spanking the brand X guys in a 4 door valiant.

I used to get thumbs up all the time from guys on the street, and I wish I still had it.

Sure, there are alot more desirable muscle cars out there, but it's your money and time.

Believe me, my 67 barracuda is probably just as hard to find parts for as your valiant is.

I've seen some pretty wicked Valiants out there, I say go for it.
Be different.

TV, I have to chime in. I'm building a 73 duster with a /6.... that's right. no plans to move to a V8. I've heard it all, when I walk into the auto parts store and ask for plug wires, the guy gives a noticable awwww when he finds out its a slant..(not to mention my brother that has the quad cab with a hemi and all the crap I get from him). but ya know what I LOVE MY CAR I'm building it to drive every day! I'll be crusin in the /6 with A/C tinted windows and cool buckets with kickin tunes in a car I built MY way.....

My poor opininion of ricers doesn't keep them from putting a 4 foot wing on the back of THEIR car....

BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!! :salute:

and to all the other guys out there that have helped me keep the faith :salute:

so wait a second here???
MY VALIANT ISN'T COOL???!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock:

but really truthfully, IT'S YOUR RIDE, YOUR CHOICE, YOUR LIFE.....(*not shouting, more for effect...)

as a PROUD owner of a "aww, he looks so sad, having to drive that thing" 1970 Valiant
(*when the reality of it couldn't be further from the truth) , i find the fact that i have seen 1 of my cars since i have been daily driving it....ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

Small people behave as tho YOUR choices affect them, it's YOUR life. What do YOU think of your car???
here's a really important thing YOU need to think about....do YOU see it as YOURS? IF so MAKE IT YOURS!!!

and in all seriousness, SOMEONE will love your Valiant, maybe it could be YOU!
in this site you WILL BE HELPED, and there's a definate light at the end of the tunnel....BUT you will have to invest in YOUR baby....in the long run, they don't make 'em anymore, and the ride isn't perfect, that's where YOU come in...

now, WHAT SAY YOU???

blind :glasses1:

P.S. there's LOADS of places to find what you need....this is a GREAT site, and SO much information to be gleaned here, just got to make the leap of faith....

P.S.S. this is to your your friends....:stfu: already.

Hey Tiny, long ago my buddy had a 396 Chevelle..Red and really nice 4 speed. I had my 67 cuda and later a 70 340 duster. Guess what we talk about when we get together now. The Duster would run head to head with his 350 horse chebby. He never got over that. Get it together and blow some of their doors off at the track!

EF"EM! Who cares what they think. You do what you wanna do. If your looking for an easy to do resto, you'll need to spend more money. Play with what makes you happy.

Another member of the grandma's valiant club. All ready have twice of the cars price when new in to it.

Hey man cheer up. I have a 73 Dart and I get ragged all the time. I am the only Mopar man in my Auto Class.

I got my Dart 2 years ago on my 16th birthday. Yea I thought the only thing I could do with it then would make it a drag car since they are light. Well over those 2 years I have learned a hell of alot. I personally love my 73, sure it has frame rot, body rot, and is torn apart waiting to get rebuilt. But I love to go home and work on it, cuss at it, kick the tire when something dont wanna come off haha.

I always get yelled at by some friends saying, YOU BOUGHT ANOTHER CAR? Yea I did, so what? I got a werid collection going on, a 73 Dart, 70 300, 63 300, 79 D-200 P/U, and hopefully soon a 73 Charger. What can I say, I love the small cars cause they are fast and the big cars cause of the ride.

Go with your dreams and make them real. Thats all most of us are doing, and loving every busted kunckle, scrap, cut and what ever else we get on the way to glory.

Pardon my language but **** them!!!
Build what you want the way you want!!! If it wern't for guys like you doing what you wanted to whatever you wanted there would be no Barris, Roth, Winfeild, Foose, ect.
Build something to make you happy not them and if they cry about your choice of car tell them to goto hell. I was on the ferryboat in my 73 Scamp and some guy walked up and started to talk **** on my car "too bad you waisted that motor and sidepipes on an A-body." I asked him what kind of car he had and he said that he USED to have a E-body Roadrunner when he was in highschool....yeah screw him. Don't listen to them and when it's done I bet they will all want to go for a ride and check out under the hood!

I have a 73 dart swinger here, and I get some things from people who don't realize the potential. They say its a POS or not worth the money, exspecially with the slant six. But I don't really care because when its done it will be the nicest car out of all of my friends car. So I say frig them all and just go with it!

heres what I want my car to look like cept on my '73

build it and they will come...

As you can see you have all the support a guy could ask for, you will find everything you need hear in these forums. If you can't find it someone will gladly show you where to look. Don't sweat it get a vision in your mind and follow that dream.

By the way what kind of cars are your so called buddies fixing up?

Let us know what you plan on doing with your car we would love to hear your dream.

Wow! Looks like you really struck a mopar nerve!!!
What an incredible sleaper she would make! You can hide alot of performance under a Valiant skin. Just imagine the satisfaction of blowing the doors off many other high end cars and making them eat their words! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Chevy Avalanche, Honda Element, Nash Metropolitan... know what I mean? The title "Valiant" is at the heart of all A-Bodys: Valiant Barracuda, Valiant Duster... I used to own a '65 Barracuda and I always listed it as a '65 Valiant on my registration. I thought it would draw less attention and possibly give me lower insurance and it is technically in the VIN number.
V is for Valiant!
I used (and use) this same logic when I would go looking for parts. When the guys at the salvage yards asked "what parts are you looking for". Instead of proudly saying 1965 Barracuda ($$$) I would say 1965 Valiant :) :toothy7:

-
Back