More cam?

keep the current cam or go more aggressive?

• current cam is good to go!

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • go more aggressive!

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
-

snailpower

Reaction score
I have my engine out to do a torque converter swap and some other things. It got me thinking, should I consider a more aggressive cam while I am in there with more power in mind?

Current cam:
Hughes 110LSA, 222/226 duration @ .050", magnum 1.6 rockers = .549 / .555

My setup: 72 scamp, 360 Magnum, EQ heads w/ light port and a shave to bring up compression, matching springs, edelbrock air gap, stock magnum bottom end rebuilt, currently AVS2 carb but looking for next carb option. **Has power brakes, and AC. dougs headers, 2.5" exhaust, flow master 40s.

Trans: 904, shift kit etc, going to get a new converter from dynamic or PTC likely.

Rear: 3.55 8 3/4

Tires: 275 MT drag radials

I would just be looking for some more power but retaining use of power brakes. Is the expense of a new cam worth the power gain? Just thinking I went too conservative this go around.... with the new converter I am expecting it to wake up though

2226ALN10.jpg

Last edited:
More cowbell

Blue Oyster Cult - Don’t fear the reaper - More Cowbell

Last edited:
Cam duration is the rpm band.

As I see what you have now, you’ll find more power in air flow. Start with porting the head further. You didn’t say what you did for exhaust. A 1-3/4 header is what you can step up to for an edge in performance.

If you like the rpm range in which your car performs in and the gas mileage is OK, leave the cam alone. If you don’t mind stepping up in rpm range performance and maybe loose some mileage, increase the cam duration.

I looked at your build, very nice car! I would think your cam is a great pick. A 3500 might be a bit much. Call the company you want to get the convertor from and tell the the truth about you set up. They will know. I do think from the looks of your build you just need a looser convertor though. Damn nice car! :thumbsup:

Cam duration is the rpm band.

As I see what you have now, you’ll find more power in air flow. Start with porting the head further. You didn’t say what you did for exhaust. A 1-3/4 header is what you can step up to for an edge in performance.

If you like the rpm range in which your car performs in and the gas mileage is OK, leave the cam alone. If you don’t mind stepping up in rpm range performance and maybe loose some mileage, increase the cam duration.

Good advice, yeah gas mileage is definitely so-so for Hwy at around 10mpg but thats not exactly babying it haha.

Im running dougs headers and 2.5" exhaust with flow master 40s out the rear. will put that in the original post too, good call.

Dynamic has a 4200 stall that is supposed to be tight and streetable! It can be another option to the typical 3500 stall.

Good advice, yeah gas mileage is definitely so-so for Hwy at around 10mpg but thats not exactly babying it haha.

Im running dougs headers and 2.5" exhaust with flow master 40s out the rear. will put that in the original post too, good call.
IF! I was in your socks, and money is not the problem... LMAO!

I would fully port the heads, add 1.6 rockers to the next cam size up (228-ish @050) Add the new converter.

I ran a 228 hughs roller cam in my 410 stroker and have just recently change it to the next size up 234 @ 50 thou. It now idles smoother and has the same vacuum 14 inches at 775rpm. I used to run try y headers 1 5/8 to inch 11/16 to 2.5 collectors and exhaust. I have changed to larger headers 1 3/4 to 2 inch and 3 inch collectors and exhaust. Old set up ran 11.4 in 3300lb car and are hoping for a low eleven with these imorovements. by the way last year on a run it got 21mpg going down south with a 3.91 diff ratio but a five speed manual box.

I really like the cam that's in it now.
At 222 @050, it is a good all around duration. In the wife’s ride, I have a Hyd. roller at 224 @.050 & 3.55 gears. Her M/T tires are smaller at 26 inches though. You mash the gas and it just takes off. No fuss no muss just GO!

The cam I recommended is as large as I would go with the given set up. With the fully ported heads it will extend the rpm band a bit and the engine will perform really well in the 2500 - 6000+ rpm range.
I think this is a great street set up.

I think the 275 M/T’s are to tall if there like a 275/60/15.

This is what I run in the 340 in my Duster, along with 9.8:1 compression, ported 308 heads flowing 264 cfm @.500, Eddy air gap intake with a Holley 750 double pumper, Doug's into 2.5", 833 4 speed and 3.55 gears, and 26.1 tall rear tires
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 9.41.57 AM.png

It's a really fun cam, BUT, as a daily driver on the street it's a little too much. I'm not changing it or anything, but if I was going to do it over I'd go a step down from this. Above 3k rpm it's a monster, but it can be a little soft below 2k rpm, and driving it around in stop and go traffic can be a little trying. It really needs 3.91's or better in the back, but I need freeway speeds for extended run times so 3.55's are all I can manage at the moment. It only pulls about 10 inches of vacuum at idle, so power brakes would likely be an issue. I run manual brakes so I couldn't tell you. I really like the cam, but the bottom line is it's not a good choice for a daily or frequent driver.

I actually think the cam you have now is a good choice. If you really want to upgrade, I'd only go one more step up from that at the most. Otherwise you're going to start having to tweak things with regard to your power brakes, gearing, etc. You might try working on your tuning, especially if you're only getting 10 mpg with your current set up. I routinely pull 12 mpg with mine, and I've managed as much as 15 on long trips where I stay out of WOT. You may be able to play with your carb tuning and timing and get some more power. I tuned mine with a A/F gauge, it helps a lot.

Ooooo, nice cam. For me, the way I see it and like things, at 230 @.050 is the start of the street strip cam since it does require a bit more converter than I like for a true daily driver. Depending on the
lobe, it can even be a couple of degrees smaller and be a bit over done.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Interesting input, thanks guys. Sounds like I'm not too far off, maybe just a slight step up. I like what you just posted @rumblefish360 , 230 as a "line in the sand" that is.

A couple things to add:

- 275/40/17 tires = 26" diameter. pushing it for 3.55s and freeway, at about 3500 around 70mph IIRC
- has magnum 1.6 rockers
- Ive been using my Wideband O2 to tune and continually playing with timing and rods / jets. I have managed 12mpg a few times but just depends on how easy I go on it. If I wanted I could prob get up to 14, but Id have to be in the slow lane and retune whenever I go to the strip.
- Its not a daily, commute is 60 miles a day and in LA traffic, id go broke in gas expenses and keeps it fun driving it less.

IMG_2491 (1).jpg

275/40/17! WoW! Slap me good on that one.

“MY” city commute is 50 one way and yup, I try to NOT to do that.

Do you run a MSD?
Are you tuned lean for the Hwy.?

That 230@050 is my line. Truly owner/operator dependent issue.

275/40/17! WoW! Slap me good on that one.

“MY” city commute is 50 one way and yup, I try to NOT to do that.

Do you run a MSD?
Are you tuned lean for the Hwy.?

That 230@050 is my line. Truly owner/operator dependent issue.

ha... yeah you got it worse on the mileage, I can relate though.

Currently running HEI through stock recurved distrib and e coil.

Well, I have to ask when somebody is looking for a little more ummph, are getting all what your current combo has to offer? Have you had it to the track?

Well, I have to ask when somebody is looking for a little more ummph, are getting all what your current combo has to offer? Have you had it to the track?

yeah, I have been working on that for the last 8 months or so, tuning at the track when possible.

Best run so far is 8.44 at ~84mph in the 1/8th (around 13.1 / 13.2 I guess in the quarter?). The big limiting factor for me has been the converter at around 2000 rpm stall so thats why its coming out. Track prep at the place I go to isn't great either so getting a good launch is few and far between, been doing like 1.9-2.0 60's on drag radials.

next season going to try to run a different track a few times and see if she hooks better. My goal would be into the 12s, lower the better haha...

If you could knock a couple of tenths off at the line that would be awesome. More converter and you’ll be good I think.
I’m running a tight 2400. You think it was a stock converter.

Good hunting!

-
Back