More cam?

keep the current cam or go more aggressive?

• current cam is good to go!

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • go more aggressive!

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
-
yeah, I have been working on that for the last 8 months or so, tuning at the track when possible.

Best run so far is 8.44 at ~84mph in the 1/8th (around 13.1 / 13.2 I guess in the quarter?). The big limiting factor for me has been the converter at around 2000 rpm stall so thats why its coming out. Track prep at the place I go to isn't great either so getting a good launch is few and far between, been doing like 1.9-2.0 60's on drag radials.

next season going to try to run a different track a few times and see if she hooks better. My goal would be into the 12s, lower the better haha...
Assuming your not over 1000 ft in elevation, yeah, you have a lot more in it. That's behind what it should be doing. I'd fix the problem (s) and see if your happy with the power then.

I think that 8.44 should be about 7.9's with that combo. Trust me, you'd feel a half a second by the seat of your pants.

I have my engine out to do a torque converter swap and some other things. It got me thinking, should I consider a more aggressive cam while I am in there with more power in mind?

Current cam:
Hughes 110LSA, 222/226 duration @ .050", magnum 1.6 rockers = .549 / .555

My setup: 72 scamp, 360 Magnum, EQ heads w/ light port and a shave to bring up compression, matching springs, edelbrock air gap, stock magnum bottom end rebuilt, currently AVS2 carb but looking for next carb option. **Has power brakes, and AC. dougs headers, 2.5" exhaust, flow master 40s.

Trans: 904, shift kit etc, going to get a new converter from dynamic or PTC likely.

Rear: 3.55 8 3/4

Tires: 275 MT drag radials

I would just be looking for some more power but retaining use of power brakes. Is the expense of a new cam worth the power gain? Just thinking I went too conservative this go around.... with the new converter I am expecting it to wake up though

View attachment 1715276129

How did the open pressure change on the same spring at same open and installed height for 1.5 ratio vs 1.6 ratio rockers ? Is that lobe lift or valve lift?

If you are putting a better converter in you can retard the timing of the current cam timing a few degrees. A holley type DP carb will 60' better, if you keep your foot out of it you can also get good mpg.

If you are putting a better converter in you can retard the timing of the current cam timing a few degrees. A holley type DP carb will 60' better, if you keep your foot out of it you can also get good mpg.

Yup, this is next on my list when I get it back together. Will be cool to demo the current Ede carb with new setup then do a Holley to see the diff. Getting that 60' down is my priority, its pretty bad right now haha...

I agree, the double pumper is what I'd be running

I would go to a larger carb 750 ish
I agree, bigger carb - especially on a dual plane intake

The factory engineers weren't stupid. It's no coincidence all the factory muscle car cams were "around" 220* duration @ .050". Now before all you yahoos pile on with Max Wedge and Race Hemi stuff, I said Muscle cars, not factory race cars. Big difference. One you drive everyday or a "lot". the other not so much. Those engineers figured out early on "about" what the limit was for everyday spirited driving in a car that had more power than "stock". Sticking close to that recipe will yield good results. Listen up to 72bluNblu and rumblefish. Both make the same point while saying differently. One says the cam he has now, while it pulls like gangbusters on one end, is a touch soft down low. The other says more duration moves the power band up in RPM. THey are both correct. You simply have to decide if your off idle torque monster is what you want, or if you "can stand" losing a little of that for power a little higher in the RPM band. I know what I would do. Spend the money and trouble somewhere else! People routinely spun stock 340s up to and past 7K. If those "tiny" camshafts will do that and keep pulling, yours is about the same size. Do you really think you need more RPM, or do you want more rumble? Be careful how you make your decision is all I'm saying. You don't want to end up losing character on the bottom end just to achieve more character while at idle.

Thanks RRR. Just let those little cams breath easy and power picks right the heck up.

Oh! Then... heritic? Wacky nutz-a-ball wac-a-do zipper head, ding dong stupid ***????....no wait, I was called that yesterday.

Never mind....

The factory engineers weren't stupid. It's no coincidence all the factory muscle car cams were "around" 220* duration @ .050". Now before all you yahoos pile on with Max Wedge and Race Hemi stuff, I said Muscle cars, not factory race cars. Big difference. One you drive everyday or a "lot". the other not so much. Those engineers figured out early on "about" what the limit was for everyday spirited driving in a car that had more power than "stock". Sticking close to that recipe will yield good results. Listen up to 72bluNblu and rumblefish. Both make the same point while saying differently. One says the cam he has now, while it pulls like gangbusters on one end, is a touch soft down low. The other says more duration moves the power band up in RPM. THey are both correct. You simply have to decide if your off idle torque monster is what you want, or if you "can stand" losing a little of that for power a little higher in the RPM band. I know what I would do. Spend the money and trouble somewhere else! People routinely spun stock 340s up to and past 7K. If those "tiny" camshafts will do that and keep pulling, yours is about the same size. Do you really think you need more RPM, or do you want more rumble? Be careful how you make your decision is all I'm saying. You don't want to end up losing character on the bottom end just to achieve more character while at idle.
Spoken eloquently Rusty! Toolman's tip? "Don't over cam"

-
Back