More concrete...

-

Jim Lusk

Reaction score
Got the RV parking and the rest of the driveway poured today. 20 yards total...Probably order lumber next week...I love it when a plan comes together...
Image00001.jpg
Image00003.jpg
Image00014.jpg
Image00017.jpg
Image00018.jpg
Image00022.jpg
Image00032.jpg
Image00046.jpg
Image00049.jpg
Image00094.jpg

Congrats Jim! I was hoping to start on extension this year, but with paperwork/fees $$ itll be too late in the year to pour. Yeah....I'm jealous!:thumbsup:

Haven't seen a jitterbug used in a long time.

One issue I see is, no reinforcement, unless you used cat hair- fiberglass

Your going to need more projects to fill up all that additional space! I'm sure you already know how this works! Lol 65'

Don't want to rain on your parade, but this may help others down the road.

I too noticed the lack of rebar, support blocks to keep the steel off the ground (to prevent rusting) and inside the pour, and the lack of compacted base rock as a base.

Was this job done by a concrete contractor? I hope you don't have the issues the above mentioned components are designed to help prevent, namely cracking, settling and failure of the pad, especially with a heavy vehicle like an RV using it as a storage area.

I just had my driveway widened and they used all those features and added some color to the concrete to make it look like it's been there for years.

I too noticed the lack of rebar, support blocks to keep the steel off the ground (to prevent rusting) and inside the pour, and the lack of compacted base rock as a base

One issue I see is, no reinforcement, unless you used cat hair- fiberglass

Its in California.

I can not say i have ever seen a driveway yet with rebar or mesh. I grewup and lived there for 45 years. I have poured and finished many a yard of concreete there. The soil is not expansive as it is here in CO, and no freeze thaw cycles like in other places.

Heck my driveway here in CO doesn't have reinforcement, it might be on crushed rock but i dont know that for sure.

Not to mention, the job is done, what help is it to say these things now.

I had / have a bad habit of seeing what is not good about things, friend gets a new car... I point out all that is wrong with it, friend stopped showing me his new cars!

Is that a DHS bus out front?

No, it is California, the population percentages lean the skilled work force in one direction. Just like in other parts of the country it leans it in other directions

Nothing really wrong with concrete with no reinforcement, as long as you don't put a ton of stress on it.
The fact that they used a jitterbug will help strengthen it some.

I pour concrete as well.

I had / have a bad habit of seeing what is not good about things, friend gets a new car... I point out all that is wrong with it, friend stopped showing me his new cars!

I understand the moral of your experience and you make a wise and good point.

To be clear though, I am pointing it out for those planning to do concrete in their future projects. Using compacted base rock, tied rebar and welded wire mesh all suspended off the base rock with dado's is the "proper way" to pour concrete that will have vehicles driving on it.

Using fiber reinforced 6 sack concrete is stronger yet, but not too good if you plan to lay down and work on it.

It all depends on what the local codes require. Around here flatwork, except sidewalks, require #4 bar on 2' centers as a minimum. Foundations for a building is another whole story. Contractors don't like fiber as it is darn near impossible to get a slick finish with all the hair sticking up. But long term, the fibers break off and aren't a problem. OR, if you are impatient, a floor buffer with a scrubbing disc makes short work of them.

Wow! you've been busy. It's a joke. :rolleyes:

No, it is California, the population percentages lean the skilled work force in one direction. Just like in other parts of the country it leans it in other directions
Its in California.

I can not say i have ever seen a driveway yet with rebar or mesh. I grewup and lived there for 45 years. I have poured and finished many a yard of concreete there. The soil is not expansive as it is here in CO, and no freeze thaw cycles like in other places.

Heck my driveway here in CO doesn't have reinforcement, it might be on crushed rock but i dont know that for sure.

Wow! you've been busy. It's a joke. :rolleyes:
I got the joke, I just get tired or people seeing Hispanic laborers and assuming they are illegals. (I'm a libertarian leaning conservative, and in now way to be confused with a bleeding heart liberal)

I understand the moral of your experience and you make a wise and good point.

To be clear though, I am pointing it out for those planning to do concrete in their future projects. Using compacted base rock, tied rebar and welded wire mesh all suspended off the base rock with dado's is the "proper way" to pour concrete that will have vehicles driving on it.

Using fiber reinforced 6 sack concrete is stronger yet, but not too good if you plan to lay down and work on it.
Here's how we have to do it in Northern Ontario......No supports for the mesh, but I was in there with a hook during the whole pour. We have a lot more to deal with clay soil and freeze/thaw cycles up here.......Crazy prep work if you want it to last the test of time. I would suspect Cali would not be so demanding. Your job looks awesome:thumbsup:

new pictures from camera 013.jpg

new pictures from camera 015.jpg

Methods vary by low temps and types of soil. Also the load expected to go on it. In the country we have no codes, we just do it with common sense.\
Back in SW Mo. I had a concrete pad in a barn with no gravel for a base, no wire or bar, no fiberglass. 4-5 inches thick at most....it got a 1 ton dodge dually on it ever so often and never a crack or problem! But all that was done by me, a redneck. Go figure.

I got the joke, I just get tired or people seeing Hispanic laborers and assuming they are illegals. (I'm a libertarian leaning conservative, and in now way to be confused with a bleeding heart liberal)
lmao, I was waiting for the fact check notification from ya!!!! I don't care !!:rofl::rofl:

-
Back