MORE!! Must have more OUTBOARDS!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
LOL Yesterday morning went up N of here just a few miles and bought about a 55 10HP and 5 1/2. Just got in from tearing the 10 partway down. Mag needs "the usual" new coils and condensers and maybe points, "we'll see" about plug wires. Carb looks great for having been stored many years, and it has decent compression which may get better as oil gets back to the rings.

Lower unit was drained, but no sign of residual water

242742657_6156541284419065_1161496524121961844_n.jpg

242973640_6156619474411246_1668534844928353816_n.jpg

Yeah really. I can see it now. "Del's Junky Old Outboards And Annoying Stories" lol

I’ve got a 1957 Johnson Sea Horse 7.5 hp I would give you if you were closer!!

That is a LOT of shipping LOL. I don't know why I buy more. I've got enough projects around here for 40 years, and at 73, how long can "that" go? Thanks for the offer. Why don't you fix it?

Just got in from looking over the 5 1/2. It still had "looked like clean" lube in the gearbox which makes me think someone recently put it in there. Mag is full of DIRT, but no bit ultra problems. I don't fix the gearboxes if they will "run awhile," rather, check compression, tune it up and run it and see how the gearbox does. So it needs coils for sure, maybe condensers, maybe points, maybe plug wires. Clean carb and new carb gasket, plus fuel hose, and "see what we have"

The big "owies:"

Gearbox seals leak, people don't drain them, they can freeze and break and corrode the internal parts. They likely need water pumps. On the smaller, older engines, you must remove the powerhead and burn a powerhead to lower unit gasket.

If people aren't careful, you can get water into the power head. The exhaust and water going into the lower leg can communicate water into the exhaust ports IF it's laid down. Then into the cylinders, through the intake ports,and now you have water in the crankcase. The crank, rods, needle rod bearings all rust, you are DONE, and of course cylinder liners and rings same deal

If people lay them on their back, they can get rain/ water down through the carb, ruin the reed plate, and into the crankcase

And...............unpredictably, the top or bottom crank seals can fail AND THOSE ARE A real PITA Many of them require a special expensive puller to change them. I don't have one "yet."

Last edited:
I think it will run. Has compression and I put new coils in it. Maybe this spring!

we had an outboard repair shop behind our old shop. Heard them running in barrels 6 hours a day.

!!!LOL!!! I just watched that tonight!!!

I got the 10 fired up late last night but the temp was already down into the 40's and it was getting dark fast. I had other things today. Next couple days I hope to "ring it out" a bit.

I know it’s cold up there but I hope we don’t have to wait until next spring to see some of these outboards out on the lake. I really enjoy your boating and outboard posts!

That is not terribly likely although you never know LOL. "Early spring" maybe

Well today I got a BUNCH of "free" stuff. I say "free" because it all involves WORK!!! Went up to Sandpoint, visited my old neighbor and had a burger, then drove on up to LaClede. This guy was helping his aging dad, who I narrowly missed having as a teacher, as he came to our high school just after I graduated, and started the schools auto shop classes along with other stuff. Nice guy, but he's starting to fail--dementia. He for sure would be a VERY interesting guy if he was full on

GMCbed1.JPG

View down into the bed, mostly all kinds of useable parts and some good ones. There is a 9 1/2 powerhead that is supposed to be good and "I just happen" to have a similar 9 1/2 worn out engine. On the far left not visible is about a "cute little" nice shape, 55 Evinrude 5 1/2. It is not all beat up and will make a really cool little gal.

On top is ?? 12hp or so and not visible underneath is an 18 partial engine (no lower unit)
GMCbed2.JPG

Below is 50hp power tilt which needs some work but fixable. I had already removed a decent appearing little SeaKing 5hp made by OMC (Gale) which has a gravity tank. It will be cool if I get it fixed This is a VRO engine but I'll probably just run mixed fuel like all the rest I have
short50pwrTilt.JPG

COOL. I have a few Johnsons in that range, somewhere from 49-ish to 50?? and one later about ? 60 I think.

Del, I think what you have is what we call in Canada O.A.S. Outboard Acquisition Syndrome. You'll be able to start a museum pretty soon.:)

It’s an addiction, I have a few, including a 59 35 horse Merc on a 58 12ft Crestliner Jetstreak

Jetstreak is a cool little boat. For me, tho, unpractical. I have a 12' 53 "Commander" (I guess) and a 15 foot I think 57 Voyager. The only thing I don't like about the Voyager is that it has two side seats which I guess were designed for storage. (Don't have the original seats). But they are quite low, there is no backrest, and too small for much real storage

The rear seat / spashwell "I thought" was going to be great---spashwell protects boat greatly from swamping, but makes engine access a (an actual) pain for me. Plus the coaming around the back is really too small for some of the larger engines--not enough room to properly tilt them.

I had a 58 "Flying Crest" 16 foot and the rear well was worse. The 75 that was on there could not tilt far enough to lock without crashing the engine into the bottom of the well.

Regardless these are cool old boats

Impractical for me yes, but sure looks great behind my 59 Sweptside…….. Fins on both
Jetstreak is a cool little boat. For me, tho, unpractical. I have a 12' 53 "Commander" (I guess) and a 15 foot I think 57 Voyager. The only thing I don't like about the Voyager is that it has two side seats which I guess were designed for storage. (Don't have the original seats). But they are quite low, there is no backrest, and too small for much real storage

The rear seat / spashwell "I thought" was going to be great---spashwell protects boat greatly from swamping, but makes engine access a (an actual) pain for me. Plus the coaming around the back is really too small for some of the larger engines--not enough room to properly tilt them.

I had a 58 "Flying Crest" 16 foot and the rear well was worse. The 75 that was on there could not tilt far enough to lock without crashing the engine into the bottom of the well.

Regardless these are cool old boats

Got the 55 Evinrude 10hp running. Needed both coils and condensers. I took carb apart--it was clean--and shot some cleaner through the passages for good measure. This is the old pressure tank fed (twin line) system, and for testing I'm just gravity feeding fuel from a tank on the shed roof LOL. The surging is because the prop is cavitating in the test tank.

Tank is the big 'ol stainless food processing tank I spent way too much money on, but it's better'n a barrel!!!! I had hoped to install a big pressure treated wood "fence" around the back and sides, and build a splash shield but the lumber spike slowed that down.

It's only about 45F here this morn in N Idaho when this is filmed

Just got done with Lunch and Gunsmoke, it's 2PM. Before I came in for lunch I took the tractor and hung this big 50 with power tilt on the wrong side of the tank. This is so I can check the lower unit for water/ leaks, see if it has spark and "how bad" it might be. This was a VRO (oil injection) but I plan to run it (if it can be fixed) with traditional oil mix. This is short shaft, (EDIT NO NO NO!!!! IT IS LONG SHAFT!!!! LOL It's just that the huge gearbox, lower unit and prop makes it "look" more stubby!!!) the other 50 is longshaft, plus this has power tilt. This will make a great engine for the 15' Voyager if I can get it "right"

IMG_3071cs.JPG

short50pwrTilt.JPG

Well the 50 is likely a "parts motor." Gearbox had about 1/2 cup of water, but is not split. It is likely I could fix that, but the big issue is the top cylinder is 90psi against 125 psi for the bottom. I did get it to fire on starting fluid a few seconds so it would run. I'm sure the carbs might need gone through. I have the other 50 I may "see" if I can get this tilt unit adapted to it

Last edited:
I don't want to go off topic but seeing we are not discussing cars but old boats & motors. I have a snowmobile that was sitting there when we bought our farm (1976) and it's never been outside the barn and I used to start it as a kid but now after close to 50 yrs I wonder if I could ever get it running again.... The thing I loved on it was it used to say (you still see it but really faded away) 440 (but cc) and when I bought my first car a few yrs later (440 6bbl Cuda) I used to think they looked cool together, no idea back then about the Orange colour but thought it would be nice to have both painted orange... Little did I know about originality (barely 16 yrs old)
Anyhow I will try to take some pics when I go up again...And let you guys see it.
It's not a boat as I mentioned but it's a snowmobile made by Harley Davidson... You don't see many. In fact I never seen one. We have Yamaha, ski doos, etc but never a Harley. Everyone uses one up there come winter as there are no streets after we get a good deal of snow. We always enjoyed the ski doo but never thought of repairing the "old one" but I'm starting to see old pick ups are getting up in price and value maybe the snowmobiles will follow ....
Aside from that one at our place I never seen a H.D snowmobile. I'm going to do some Google research see if I can learn anything more about the oldgal, that's what I called her.

-
Back