Motor angle

-

oldmodlover

Reaction score
Collecting parts / pieces / material to build a test / run in stand.
Thinking best to mount motor "flat".
Meaning 0* front to rear and side to side measured at the carb to intake mounting surface.
Your thoughts...?

If you have a good level surface, I would think a level on the carb base would suffice. Level front to rear, level left/right.

If you have a good level surface, I would think a level on the carb base would suffice. Level front to rear, level left/right.

Coming from a guy who claims to be "half a bubble off".......
Go figure.

Sorry man. Just had to bust on ya.

Actually I was wondering at what angle ( if any) they are mounted at the factory they are

Collecting parts / pieces / material to build a test / run in stand.
Thinking best to mount motor "flat".
Meaning 0* front to rear and side to side measured at the carb to intake mounting surface.
Your thoughts...?
Basically.....Yes, the carb is close to level both directions, and that standard would certainly be suitable for Your test stand..........

If you ar wondering how to mount the block to an engine stand and get the correct angle for a 'normal' orientation. I mount mine as shown in the pics. this mounts the engine lower so it isn't so clumsy moving things around.
Stand1.jpg

Stand2.jpg

If you ar wondering how to mount the block to an engine stand and get the correct angle for a 'normal' orientation. I mount mine as shown in the pics. this mounts the engine lower so it isn't so clumsy moving things around.
View attachment 1715355936
View attachment 1715355937

Thank you. Very good pics.
I have mine just "kinda thrown on there" on the engine stand for now. Just a temporary situation for the time being.
I had it in my mind all along to mount the carb base "level"
I just wanted to throw the angle thing out there to see what others thought.
I raced inline 6 (250+ c.i.d.) Chevy motors for years.
Built several "roll / move around" stands for them.
They are quite low. Oil pan only about 3" off floor.
But the way they are made l can also bolt a clutch, bellhousing and tranny to them also if l choose.
Gonna build one, some , a few or whatever for the slants l have as well.
Plus a test / run in stand as the initial post stated.
Thanks again.

Funny story when I got my first slant six car after high school, I took it to auto zone and the guy there checked my motor out and said "hey buddy I think you motor mounts are going out, she's tilting to the side"

Funny story when I got my first slant six car after high school, I took it to auto zone and the guy there checked my motor out and said "hey buddy I think you motor mounts are going out, she's tilting to the side"
Hahaha. Yeah. Good one.
I have been toying with the idea of standing one straight up.
With a little oil pan and pickup tube work and a 30 degree wedge adapter between the carb and intake......... Hummmmmmmmmm?

Hahaha. Yeah. Good one.
I have been toying with the idea of standing one straight up.
With a little oil pan and pickup tube work and a 30 degree wedge adapter between the carb and intake......... Hummmmmmmmmm?
Hahha good luck with all the linkages etc would look cool.

-
Back