Motor oil weight.

-

moparmarks

zippindippintie
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi gang.
I have a 2002 5.9 in my Dart. Don't know much about the motor. Bought it from a customer after I took it out of a 71 Cuda. Seems to be around 350 hp.
What weight oil are you running in your HP Magnum motor? In my 60-70's motors I run 15-40 Rotella but have been running 5-30 in my stock Magnums trucks and have over 300k on them. I was thinking maybe 5-40 in the Dart.

10/30 anything in a Magnum. It's a roller cam engine so you don't need a lot of zddp

10 PSI per 1000 RPM is a good rule of thumb. If you are significantly away from that, try lighter or heavier based on the number after the W, which represents the grade when fully warmed up.

Right on with all answers, I'm partial to an upgrade from 5-30 to 10-30 after 50,000 miles or for high performance applications. A blue bottle of STP won't hurt anything in this instance if you want a little extra insurance, but isn't mandatory. I've always been a pretty big proponent of "Stay Together, Please" myself, though.

Not high performance, but I've always ran 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter on all my magnums. No issues ever, most high mileage including my ram now at 280,***

I don't know where all the flurry of "use a different weight to get a different pressure" comments are comin from all of a sudden, but this is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. If you're shuffling around different oil weights to try and change your oil pressure, you gotta PROBLEM somewhere else.

-
Back