Mounting 63 Dart to rotisserie

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I am getting ready to mount my dart onto my rotisserie so I can rotate it for easy access to the underside to clean and paint it. No rust repair as the car is a dry Nevada car. Original paint so nothing is hidden.

Question I have is, my plan is to mount it by using the original bumper mount holes. On the front I see this as ideal as they run along the side of the frame rail so really good support there. In the rear I don't see any other really good option. I know the car was lifted by this point by the bumper Jack to change tires back in the day so that point should be sufficient to hold it. Has anyone used a different location to mount the body?

The motor and transmission are out along with all interior and rear glass as well. I don't plan to pull the rear diff or the front suspension. My mounts are more than heavy enough as it's my rotisserie. Built it myself and built it heavy.

From others whom have done this already, any tips or things I should look out for when mounting it.

Suggestions are welcome.

Attached is a photo of the rotisserie I plan to use. I have seen a dart mounted to a rotisserie the same way I plan to and it actually looks complete so I figure I should be good to go.

The mounts on the rotisserie were generic ones I made when building it. I am currently building new ones to match the car mounting points specifically

20190113_160316.jpg

I would pull the rear end. Centre of gravity is way off with it under the car. In my opinion well worth the effort. I dropped mine, springs and all as it only takes a few minutes.
I would bring car in friday, set it up and work on weekend.monday put diff back under and roll it back into storage. Less than an hour to set it up or tear it down.

Nice rotisserie, btw.
I used bumper mounting points on my 65 barracuda,back was weak, so made brackets to go along frame and tied inside of bumper mounts.

I would pull the rear end. Centre of gravity is way off with it under the car. In my opinion well worth the effort. I dropped mine, springs and all as it only takes a few minutes.
I would bring car in friday, set it up and work on weekend.monday put diff back under and roll it back into storage. Less than an hour to set it up or tear it down.

I am considering this as well. Will see how it goes. Car doesn't need to be on long as all it needs is too be wire wheeled, sealed and then painted. Underside is super clean other than a bit of surface rust where original paint chipped off from driving in the desert conditions.

20190427_153911.jpg

20190427_153952.jpg

Pull the rear axle . the front bumper brackets are a good place . Rear I used where the brackets mount to the frame . You may have to make plates U-shaped to make the connection . check the balance before you rotate the car . Iput the center line of the rotisserie just below the wiper motor for a start .

I did my 66 this way. but it needs to go lower (because it a convertible and the balance point was even lower than I got it) hardtops would be okay with this mounting point rear was bumper mounts. front was even with the frame rails and bolted to them.
-0005.JPG
-0003.JPG
and yeah it turned over too!
-0161.JPG

One step closer to getting the car mounted. Over the weekend I picked up some steel from a yard that sells steel at scrap prices. Most is new, just leftovers from worksites ect. Great selection and saved a bundle. Got all the steel I needed to make the mounts for just $20. Did the same when I built the rotisserie. Only thing is sometimes it has surface rust from being outside. A lot doesn't but you just have to clean it up before welding or painting.

ANY way...built my new mounts. As I originally planned and others have suggested, rear will go to the bumper mount location and same for the front. Just going to throw a splash of paint on them so they don't rust on me if I ever have to put body outside for a day or 2 for any reason. That and my OCD on making it pretty...lol

rotisserie mount 1.jpg

rotisserie mount 2.jpg

rotisserie mount 3.jpg

rotisserie mount 4.jpg

-
Back