MP 1.6 aluminum rockers

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 1.5s now on my 470 stroker. To go to 1.6 would that mean a push rod change also? What about valve aprings? As long as I have enough piston to valve clearance am I good to go? Will the sweep pattern on the valves be out of whack? Thanks. Kim. Much appreciated

It would be more dependent on switching brands/types of rocker than the ratio itself. If the adj. screws have the same end(ball vs cup), You shouldn't need to change the
pushrods, but here's a couple of things to keep in mind;
1)the stress on the pushrod goes up some w/the higher ratio, say 30# on a spring that's 300# over the nose
2)the pushrod will move closer to the block/heads, if You're using something beefy it likely will need clearance made
3)valve to piston clearance priority #1, retainer to valve seal/guide height #2, are the springs You're using barely getting the job done now & how far from coil bind #3
4)the sweep will change slightly wider even if both rocker geometries are spot on due to more travel(lift), again more to do with brand/design change than ratio itself.

The whole idea of going to a bigger ratio rocker is to trick the cam into thinking its actually bigger. Case in point, a cam with .560 lift with a 1.5 rocker has a .373 lobe. Go to a 1.6 rocker that cam is now a .597 lift

FWIW,

Making the change to 1.6 rockers mellowed out the lopey idle of cam on my BB.
But does make power quicker now. IMO

I have 1.5s now on my 470 stroker. To go to 1.6 would that mean a push rod change also? What about valve aprings? As long as I have enough piston to valve clearance am I good to go? Will the sweep pattern on the valves be out of whack? Thanks. Kim. Much appreciated
Oh, & congrats on the purchase, I had to really talk Myself out of those 'cause the low-deck project target for them is waaaay down on My priority list right now.....:)

I havent bought any yet , but am seriously considering them if I do not need to do head work I have the blue mp rockers in 1.5. I thought I could maybe make these work without too much trouble. Thanks for the advice guys. Kim

-
Back