MP perch locating pin issue

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my car and have a MP relo kit. The stupid perch locating hole is HUGE compared to the pin. Maybe it's just me, but if you buy a relo kit for an a-body or whatever, the perches should work with stock springs. Are the SS locating pins larger? I don't recall.

Anybody have a quick and easy fix that doesn't require drilling/milling/lathe work to get it right? I need a bushing to take up the extra area. Are these sold by anyone or do I need to make them?

TIA

Here's what I'm trying to stuff under the car, 30x11.50's
Relo5.jpg

Relo3.jpg

Hey CB,

I thought MP would have fixed this by now but I always remember that the ID on the MP perches was 5/8" when it needed to be 1/2" (this is from memory - I may have the sizes backwards). It was either open them up or use another perch with the correct 1/2" ID (like Moroso). I can't believe that they haven't put a fix on this.

This is actually a kit I've had for about two years.

Correct, the pin is .500, perch .625. I they actually made the perches at .500, you could open them up if need be. Going the other way is a tad more difficult

I may just buy the moroso perches and not look for a bushing which would take a ton of time.

Just cut piece of a 1/2" id pipe and weld it into the perch. Depening on the wall thickness of the pipe you use, you might have to drill the perch out a little. I seen this done somewhere a long time ago.

Just cut piece of a 1/2" id pipe and weld it into the perch. Depening on the wall thickness of the pipe you use, you might have to drill the perch out a little. I seen this done somewhere a long time ago.

That's what I did (it was in a mag a few years ago). Got a threaded pipe nipple, wedged it in the hole, weld it in place, bore it out to the correct diameter, grind it smooth. Works fine.

That's what i did with mine.
Why would they make the hole so big makes no sense!

To put a close tolerence fit together can be time consuming and agravaiting.
If there is no need for a close fit a horseshoe to stake fit is good on the assembly line. Throw it together and send it on.

Running a 28" tire might be ok for sloppy tolerances. I don't think I want to chance it on 30" tire where I need to move the rear back for clearance. The tire is very tight in the well already and I'd like to minimize slop.

If it was my daily driver and not a 10 second car, the slop would be more palatable as well.

I do agree that sometimes things get "over"-engineered.

-
Back