Mr Norms Paxton Supercharged 340 Demon

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Just sold at Mecum for $165,000 :eek:
Now this obviously isn't your everyday run of the mill Craigslist A body, that's for sure.
I say congrats to the seller, and A body's getting some mad respect. This subject gets kicked around here from time to time, I'm glad our A bodies are going up in value and respect.
What say you FABO ?

IMG_20221115_142205506~3.jpg

The rarity is what gives it the value. Congrats to the seller, but I doubt that will have much effect on the value of the typical A body.

Just sold at Mecum for $165,000 :eek:
Now this obviously isn't your everyday run of the mill Craigslist A body, that's for sure.
I say congrats to the seller, and A body's getting some mad respect. This subject gets kicked around here from time to time, I'm glad our A bodies are going up in value and respect.
What say you FABO ?

View attachment 1716011662
Sorry, but I don't believe it's worth the 165k paid for it. Some people have more money than they know what to do with it. It's a cool car though

My car is numbers matching and it still either retains most of the OEM stuff or I have it packed away..... So I should be excited about the values increasing. But I'm not.

I didn't get into the hobby for the sake of a dollar. And luckily so many of the cars I have owned in the past were purchased from owners just like me. So yeah, it's not something that thrills me. But I want someone young just like I was to grab the dream of owning a muscle car. But time moves on and this is how times are now. And the reality is for the average working person it's no longer realistic....

JW

71GSSDemon own's one. It was his Dad's car that was raced back then. He has it on display at the Mr Norm display at MCACN this weekend.

71GSSDemon.jpg

My car is numbers matching and it still either retains most of the OEM stuff or I have it packed away..... So I should be excited about the values increasing. But I'm not.

I didn't get into the hobby for the sake of a dollar. And luckily so many of the cars I have owned in the past were purchased from owners just like me. So yeah, it's not something that thrills me. But I want someone young just like I was to grab the dream of owning a muscle car. But time moves on and this is how times are now. And the reality is for the average working person it's no longer realistic....

JW
If the prices don't come down soon I see our hobby dropping off even more. A good friend of mine just bought his first mopar a couple of years ago and it's a hemi challenger. He's always had Chevys because they were more affordable to buy and build.

JW
I don't think any of us got into Mopars for the dollar. That goes without saying. But it sounds like you are pretty proud of your car, why wouldn't you want it to be of the highest value ?

If the prices don't come down soon I see our hobby dropping off even more. A good friend of mine just bought his first mopar a couple of years ago and it's a hemi challenger. He's always had Chevys because they were more affordable to buy and build.
Prices dropping in this cycle of inflation would indicate a very unhealthy state of the hobby. It would illustrate very low or negative demand, which would cause the aftermarket to stop offering products that support it.

I don't think any of us got into Mopars for the dollar. That goes without saying. But it sounds like you are pretty proud of your car, why wouldn't you want it to be of the highest value ?
Only proud because my Dad's owned it from 1980 until I took ownership of it 5 years ago.... That's my only interest in it now.... But it has most of the OEM with it. I lived in an era when these cars were readily available and a previous owner was glad to see it go to a young enthusiast and would cut a kid some slack on the purchase.....

Good times and that's all history....

JW

Prices dropping in this cycle of inflation would indicate a very unhealthy state of the hobby. It would illustrate very low or negative demand, which would cause the aftermarket to stop offering products that support it.
Were mopar guys, what is this aftermarket support you speak off?

When I was negotiating for my Demon project, the guy argued that it would be a 30k car when I was done........Unfortunately, I'm 38k in and it's not painted. :wtf:

I meant prices for everything

When I was negotiating for my Demon project, the guy argued that it would be a 30k car when I was done........Unfortunately, I'm 38k in and it's not painted. :wtf:
You make a race car out of it? A normal restoration wouldn't cost that much

About 10 year's ago, a guy did a totally correct restoration of a 1971 340 duster 4 speed, he claimed to have done most of the work himself and he said that he would have to get like 40k to break even. I know that alot are not going to agree with me on this, but it cost a lot more money to restore a mopar. There's not as much parts available like there is for Ford and Chevy

About 10 year's ago, a guy did a totally correct restoration of a 1971 340 duster 4 speed, he claimed to have done most of the work himself and he said that he would have to get like 40k to break even. I know that alot are not going to agree with me on this, but it cost a lot more money to restore a mopar. There's not as much parts available like there is for Ford and Chevy
That's insane... 10 years ago, it wasn't this bad with prices or parts.....sounds like he was full of it.

That's insane... 10 years ago, it wasn't this bad with prices or parts.....sounds like he was full of it.
I figured the same thing. Back then people were trying to get big money for a body mopars. There's a 1969 dart with a 273, ps,ac,pb. The seats need to be recovered as they are blue and the interior is black and also the right sail panel is wavy and I don't know if it can be pulled tight again or if the headliner would have to be replaced as it's a one piece, asking price is $19500 and I don't know if the car is worth that

It's always been that way. Especially Chevy has been cheap to build. But just parts. Labor and materials cost the same regardless what brand.

That must be a Gorgeous Ride Man....
Nope, just had to re-build or replace absolutely everything in this car......Plus, re-buying stuff that I bought that turned out to be crap when it got here. (Not from FABO). It is a '71 H-Code with original mechanicals and build sheet.

-
Back