MRL Performance

-
Jim, the gist of the rules were:
Indy X heads, Rockett 93, best HP/CI?
No rpm limits? No averaging? No cost considerations?
Stock blocks?

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

In Morton, IL we were pulling the 273 to 8,000 rpm on that dyno. Maybe it was only 460+ horsepower, I cannot remember, it was like a billion years ago. The engine belonged to a Chenoweth customer so to protect the engine we pulled out. In retrospect, the engine was sound enough we could have fired the engine, made the three qualifying pulls without shutting the engine down and kept going with the three scored pulls and won the contest.

Here is another description of the contest by Mopar Muscle....

https://www.rockettbrand.com/downloads/articles/Engine Challenge Small Block Part 1-Mopar Muscle Feb 2011.pdf

Looks like MRL built a 470hp 340 that used unported RHS x-heads and he used a solid flat tappet cam while all the other seem to have solid rollers.
Was porting allowed on the heads in that competition?

Yes porting was allowed. Chenoweth built the shortblock and we did the cylinder heads. Those heads, when repaired and touched up, went onto a 360/424 stroker that eventually made 629 HP on 91 octane pump gas. We had four of those heads and the same exhaust port was thin in the same spot. I think it was the #2-7 exhaust port.

Is 426ci 360 a small block?

Last edited:
There are some hotshots here that have never shown it when given it.
I'll not cast in this pond anymore.
Sadly, the world we live in. It’s why I rarely post outside the coffee shop thread on here.

In retrospect, the engine was sound enough we could have fired the engine, made the three qualifying pulls without shutting the engine down and kept going with the three scored pulls and won the contest.

That was kinda what I was thinking.

Just add it to the list of stuff you’d do different if you had a “do over”.

Gotta say all else aside mrl's entry was pretty basic, looks to be mostly all off the shelf stuff. Don't have enough info to have an opinion one way or another on him but at first glance pretty decent numbers for the sum of the parts.

That didn't last long..

Most annoying and lame'o thing to call a basic build....

'Classic cruiser 360'

Liken to a douchebag with a mustache and a trucker hat wearing flip flops.

I spit beer when I 1st read it.

I'm old, but I still welcome fresh ideas from the next generation. Bitterness has no part of my life. Keep the ideas coming, please. An old dog can learn new tricks.

I bought an unused 340 stroker short block several years ago from a guy over in Detroit. MRL built it for him. Guy got his hemi done and used that. Came with paperwork.

It is now in my Dart. I was gonna just run it. Glad I didn’t.
Took it to a Mopar shop I know very well near me to have then look it over and freshen the Eddie heads that had been on my 360
Glad I did. Nothing but issue after issue.
Lifter bores were too big on the bottoms, ( had to bush lifter bores)main and rod clearances way off, freeze plugs buggered up... zero deck flattops 17 out of the deck... Yada, Yada
Live and learn
Not a good situation

I’d be really curious to know how he got that kind of power out of a stock stroke and standard bore 360.
I'm not saying mine is making that but I'm suspecting it's not that hard with the right build. Specs on my build are much the same as seen in this example except I have a solid mechanical cam:

I'm not saying mine is making that but I'm suspecting it's not that hard with the right build. Specs on my build are much the same as seen in this example except I have a solid mechanical cam:

Ive been fallowing you on Instagram, you got a nice ride.

-
Back