MSD 6 vs. MSD 7

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I currently run an MSD Digital 6 and have for 20 years. There is nothing wrong with it, but my father is building a new car and he needs an ignition. He'll pay me half the retail cost of mine and it would allow me to upgrade to a 7 series for a very low cost.

Wondering for those of you who have run both series, or have run a 7 series if you think it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm not at all interested in opinions on MSD products. So if you're an MSD hater or think a chrome box is better, move on by Tex.

Last edited:
I currently run an MSD Digital 6 and have for 20 years. There is nothing wrong with it, but my father is building a new car and he needs an ignition. He'll pay me half the retail cost of mine and it would allow me to upgrade to a 7 series for a very low cost.

Wondering for those of you who have run both series, or have run a 7 series if you think it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm not at all interested in opinions on MSD products. So if you're an MSD hater or think a chrome box is better, move on by Tex.

Yes, you need to upgrade. You can’t have too much ignition. Once you go to a 7 you will never use a 6 again.

I have run a msd 6al and msd 7al-3 in the same car....no difference in performance.....in fact I went back to the 6al in our 71 Duster

I ran the 6al for years when I raised the compression developed a miss went to 7al problem fixed. Needed a stronger spark for more pressure. Changed compression from 12.5 to1 to 14

-
Back