Msd 6a wiring help

-

BUCKEYE FAN

Reaction score
So here is my situation. For my 1969 dart I bought a new msd Iginiton, coil and distributor from summit. Wired it up, hooked small red wire to all wires (3) on ballast resistor on drivers side firewall. Started car and melted wire going to what I believe is the voltage regulator small box on driver side firewall just below washed hose grommet.

1. What’s the correct wiring for the small red wire?
2. What do you do with the voltage regulator and it’s wire?
3. Why did that wire melt? Could I have fried anything else of importance?

So here is my situation. For my 1969 dart I bought a new msd Iginiton, coil and distributor from summit. Wired it up, hooked small red wire to all wires (3) on ballast resistor on drivers side firewall. Started car and melted wire going to what I believe is the voltage regulator small box on driver side firewall just below washed hose grommet.

1. What’s the correct wiring for the small red wire?
2. What do you do with the voltage regulator and it’s wire?
3. Why did that wire melt? Could I have fried anything else of importance?
wiring-diagram-coil-problem-msd-ignition-wiring-diagram-mon-of-msd-ignition-wiring-diagram.jpg

What did you do with the old coil + wire?

It may be unrelated or coincidential

The small red is a "trigger" wire like a relay coil. I would think it would work fine where you connected it. Can you elaborate on what model distributor and exactly how you hooked everything up?

Msd 8534 distributor, blaster 2 coil, msd 6a ignition box. All the msd components are plug and play, except the ignition box. That was hooked to the three wires at the ballast resistor and the resistor removed.

Msd 8534 distributor, blaster 2 coil, msd 6a ignition box. All the msd components are plug and play, except the ignition box. That was hooked to the three wires at the ballast resistor and the resistor removed.
no ballast resistor w/ MSD 6A , FIND AN MSD WIRING DIAGRAM FROM MSD !

-
Back