MSD Distributor Install

Big Block A body Tech

1. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:53 PM
    I have a 1968 440 in my 70 Duster.......I am upgrading the entire ignition system and I have a few questions on a installing a full MSD system.

MSD 6AL box
    MSD 32739 wires
    MSD 8202 coil
    MSD Pro Billet 8546 distributor
    Champion RJ12YC plugs

Tips or tricks on the distributor install? Never installed one on a 440 and its been a long long time since I last had to mess with one......

Where is the best place to mount the coil?

What gap should the plugs initially be set at?

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:53 PM
    All Mopar V8's have a screwdrive like slot/ tang drive, so if you don't crank the engine when you pull the old one, just look and see at what plug tower the rotor points. Better yet, before you yank the old one, bump the engine around until the timing marks are "where you want" initial timing, AKA 15BTC or whatever. Now look at the rotor, it will be coming "to" either no1 or no6.

Just stick the new one in with the rotor in that position. The drive tang on the new one MAY NOT be referenced exactly to the old one so you will still have to adjust timing

On the MSD box the "big red" goes to a "heavy" 12V source such as the starter relay big stud. I would fuse/ breaker that wire. The "big black" goes to a good ground

The "small red" is the trigger/ switch wire, and it goes to your old ignition feed. Just bypass the coil resistor, take the old coil+ wire and connect that to the small red on the box.

The rest of it follow MSD destructions

The white MSD box wire, you can run into an unobtrusive toggle switch to ground, and it makes a simple not very obvious anti theft device. Don't forget to turn the switch OFF when attempting to start the car!!!

3. famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
    Other than the box hook up , and eliminating the stupid ballast resister , aint no diff than any other one . I run 44 thou on my plugs-------------
    My coil is laying down on the fender close as possible to the dist. , been that way for about 10ish yrs. , The new msd box will come w/ instructiuons that will cover it ..

4. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Be particularly careful with trigger wire routing and keep it "down near" a ground plane, IE engine block. It is helpful to keep that short. There is instances of the MSD plug wires SELF TRIGGERING the MSD box causing misfires

This is in part because the MSD spark is so powerful

5. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the good info on the distributor install.....sounds like a somewhat straightforward swap with the old unit

Should the MSD 8202 coil be installed vertical ?

Where is a good mounting location for the MSD box?

6. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Old plugs are out..........with headers it was a tad more challenging than a normal R&R

It was so tight up against the inner fenders I had to use a wrench for a few, and not a spark plug socket

7. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I assume the groove in the MSD distributor is for an oring???

I didn't come with one......can anyone verify if it's needs one for the install?

The old distributor I removed from the motor didn't have an gasket or an oring

8. famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
    Mine in the past have had o-rings -------------

9. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    MSD recommends mounting the Blaster 2 Coil in the vertical position so that the internal winding is completely covered with oil. Mounting the coil horizontally does not allow the oil within the coil to sufficiently transfer the heat out of the coil.

10. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I can lengthen the MSD 6AL wiring as needed, correct?

Looks like I will also need to get some spark plug wiring heat protectors...........the headers are a close fit

11. KOZ45

KOZ45 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Can anyone confirm if Felpro #6464 kit will fit and work on the MSD distributor?

This kit looks to come with a flat gasket and also an o-ring

12. famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
    Hasnt been a problem on any of my cars over the years !

13. Joeycurl

Joeycurl Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    how critical is having the coil in vert position? mine has been in horz position and i haven't noticed anything odd

14. SuperStock426

SuperStock426 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    6:53 PM
    My coil is mounted upright on the right side of the engine bay closest to the distributor . .My 6AL box is mounted inside the car on the passenger side up under the dash where the foot well meets the firewall..High enough to where it's almost not seen.What type of cylinder heads are you running?Because as far as spark plugs I'd go with the AR3911 Autolites..With MSD I gap my plugs at .040 I've never been much of a Champion fan..

View attachment 1715593006

View attachment 1715593021

Screenshot_20200910-180318~2.png

20200912_142720.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  15. beanhead

beanhead Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Funny, the only coil I've ever had leak, on any car, was an MSD blaster mounted vertically, per their instructions...go figure! Never had a problem mounting one horizontal like the factory did.

16. SuperStock426

SuperStock426 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    6:53 PM
    I can't remember ever having but a couple or so factory coils leak because the ceramic material at the tower part of the coil cracked. I've had a few factory coils go bad after many years of use. I've used MSD coils for many years and haven't had but maybe a couple go bad after years of racing. But I guess you can get a lemon in anything from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.