MSD with OEM Electronic Distributor

-

nearpar

Reaction score
Can I use an OEM Mopar electronic 74 up distributor with an MSD 6AL and a blaster 2 coil?
What would I need to make this work?

Thank you

Can I use an OEM Mopar electronic 74 up distributor with an MSD 6AL and a blaster 2 coil?

Thank you
As I remember (oh boy!) my MSD distributor kit had all the necessary wires to make that a plug and play...

You will need to either change the distributor plug to the msd style or splice in an original style to the msd harness to match.

You will need to either change the distributor plug to the msd style or splice in an original style to the msd harness to match.
That's what it was! Doesn't the MSD give you their plug though so you can do that without having to go buy anything else?

As I remember (oh boy!) my MSD distributor kit had all the necessary wires to make that a plug and play...
Was it a 6C? Those came with a connector that mated right to the Chrysler ECU connector.

Might need some ring ring terminals and connector for the magnetic pickup.
The MSD's distributor pickup wires use a different type of connector. Somehow you need to splice on or convert.

Power leads:
1 Ring terminal for the MSD's power to connect to the battery or alternator. Alt output stud is prob better but the solenoid stud will work.
1 Ring terminal for the MSD ground wire to the block or head.

For the coil hookup, you may need some smaller ring terminals. The 6A and 6T used to come with that, along with two short insulated terminal strip. This made it easy to revert to the stock system as a back up.

But the concept is pretty easy to execute. The MSD has an internal on/off relay. Wire the MSD on/off relay to the car's ignition 'run' wire. When the key is in Run or Start, the MSD's internal relay will switch on, and the MSD will operate using power drawn from the heavy red wire.

Wire the MSD's coil wires to the coil. Remove the original ignition run wire. You can connect the MSD red on/off wire to it if that's convenient. Just be sure to insulate/isolate from touching grounds or other wires.

upload_2019-10-16_15-49-20.png

This is an older set of instructions.

That's what it was! Doesn't the MSD give you their plug though so you can do that without having to go buy anything else?
IIRC at one time they did supply an extra connector which could be splice in either as a junction or replacement. That's what I was using for a long time. I just don't recall if it came in the kit. I guess I could pull the instructions out of the file...

Can we say at the end of the day MSD has you covered and generally has all the little connections and simple instructions and follow along with pictures?..

Was it a 6C? Those came with a connector that mated right to the Chrysler ECU connector.

Might need some ring ring terminals and connector for the magnetic pickup.
The MSD's distributor pickup wires use a different type of connector. Somehow you need to splice on or convert.

Power leads:
1 Ring terminal for the MSD's power to connect to the battery or alternator. Alt output stud is prob better but the solenoid stud will work.
1 Ring terminal for the MSD ground wire to the block or head.

For the coil hookup, you may need some smaller ring terminals. The 6A and 6T used to come with that, along with two short insulated terminal strip. This made it easy to revert to the stock system as a back up.

But the concept is pretty easy to execute. The MSD has an internal on/off relay. Wire the MSD on/off relay to the car's ignition 'run' wire. When the key is in Run or Start, the MSD's internal relay will switch on, and the MSD will operate using power drawn from the heavy red wire.

Wire the MSD's coil wires to the coil. Remove the original ignition run wire. You can connect the MSD red on/off wire to it if that's convenient. Just be sure to insulate/isolate from touching grounds or other wires.

View attachment 1715409292
This is an older set of instructions.
Thank you !

Does anyone here happen to have a Used stock OEM electronic small block distributor they would like to sell me?

Again Thank you for all the replies.

Not on the part list. I think I bought an extra 8860 cable and snipped it. Then spliced it onto th edistributor with the cheapo squeeze connectors. They do sell the connectors to match their cable. MSD 8824.
upload_2019-10-16_16-15-7.png

I've not found a source for the correct connector for the Chrysler distributors. Well I did - its called salvage. LOL
So now I have it with a Chrysler connector at the end of the cable. Makes it easier changing distributors and no more junky squeeze splices.

Can we say at the end of the day MSD has you covered and generally has all the little connections and simple instructions and follow along with pictures?..
It seems they made it more complicated in recent years with less less stuff in the box and less specific instructions.

When Autotronics still made them, it came with everything but the connector mentioned above.
The insulated terminal strips and 45* tabs went on the coil like this.
upload_2019-10-16_16-22-4.png

But the original Chrysler connection to the neg of the coil is not needed. Nor is the white wire from the MSD box.
Neither is used by the MSD. Just make sure they don't touch anything that is being used.
Red to the original coil positive feed, or any place on the run circuits.
Orange and black as to coil as shown.
Heavy red and black direct to battery should not be taken literally (see earlier post).
upload_2019-10-16_16-41-29.png

To revert, disconnect the 4 wires and install a jumper on each side of the coil and the Chrysler ECU was back in action.
The whole MSD unit could be disconnected and removed or not.
upload_2019-10-16_16-33-58.png

The 6C (c for chrysler) was the old msd box that had the mopar ecu connector on it. The only wiring required was the big power and ground wire to battery and jumping out the ballast.
Im getting ready to install one in one of my darts tomorrow.
Call Summit Racing, the MSD connector should be available and not expensive. I do seem to recall the 6al coming with a connector but I may be wrong.
I think I have bought the oem connector in the help section before. Its been a while so not sure if its something you can find now.
Last time I needed one I stole it off an old lean burn distributor.

Last edited:
Does anyone here happen to have a Used stock OEM electronic small block distributor they would like to sell me? Again Thank you for all the replies.
Hello nearpar
You can reach out to fello FABO member "halifaxhops"
He is the FABO site guru on all Mopar distributor rebuilds, repairs, and sales.
@halifaxhops
Hope this helps.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

Hello nearpar
You can reach out to fello FABO member "halifaxhops"
He is the FABO site guru on all Mopar distributor rebuilds, repairs, and sales.
@halifaxhops
Hope this helps.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.
Thanks Aaron. What are you looking for a core? Rebuilt, curved have them all if needed.

Not on the part list. I think I bought an extra 8860 cable and snipped it. Then spliced it onto th edistributor with the cheapo squeeze connectors. They do sell the connectors to match their cable. MSD 8824.
View attachment 1715409301
I've not found a source for the correct connector for the Chrysler distributors. Well I did - its called salvage. LOL
So now I have it with a Chrysler connector at the end of the cable. Makes it easier changing distributors and no more junky squeeze splices.

It seems they made it more complicated in recent years with less less stuff in the box and less specific instructions.

When Autotronics still made them, it came with everything but the connector mentioned above.
The insulated terminal strips and 45* tabs went on the coil like this.
View attachment 1715409305

But the original Chrysler connection to the neg of the coil is not needed. Nor is the white wire from the MSD box.
Neither is used by the MSD. Just make sure they don't touch anything that is being used.
Red to the original coil positive feed, or any place on the run circuits.
Orange and black as to coil as shown.
Heavy red and black direct to battery should not be taken literally (see earlier post).
View attachment 1715409308

To revert, disconnect the 4 wires and install a jumper on each side of the coil and the Chrysler ECU was back in action.
The whole MSD unit could be disconnected and removed or not.
View attachment 1715409307
had to throw my hat in on this thread , thank you all for the info

Yeah that looks right. I order stuff from del city. I buy a lot of the crimp type battery connectors to use with my hydraulic crimper. They have decent prices on their stuff.

If you get a chance, see if it is.
The trailer type connectors I've bought are too short.
upload_2019-10-17_21-37-39.png

They'll work in a pinch...
upload_2019-10-17_21-39-11.png

I know the mopar distributor is not the only place the bigger ones were used. Its not rare, just different. :rolleyes:

I have plenty of pigtails I have cut off of pickups if needed just the ride.

The 6C (c for chrysler) was the old msd box that had the mopar ecu connector on it. The only wiring required was the big power and ground wire to battery and jumping out the ballast.
Im getting ready to install one in one of my darts tomorrow.
Call Summit Racing, the MSD connector should be available and not expensive. I do seem to recall the 6al coming with a connector but I may be wrong.
I think I have bought the oem connector in the help section before. Its been a while so not sure if its something you can find now.
Last time I needed one I stole it off an old lean burn distributor.
Yep
74 Cuda
I got one when they first came out. Sometime in the eighties. It's still working. Only mod I remember doing was jumpering out the ballast resister.

-
Back