Muffler-can keep kinda quiet sounds off at rpm

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this has been beato death
I need to select mufflers for my 70 Dart
360 mag with 340 and magnum manifolds 2 1/2 run the length of the car exiting at the bumper
I’m really wanting mufflers that I can keep fairly quiet but that sound off when thrashing the car
I’m looking at ultra flow welded
Any ideas

Then buy Ultra Flow welded. They will work fine and that'll save a lot of stupid internet arguin.

We just put Flow master 44's on a 72 Duster 340 4 speed car with an X pipe. It has a nice mellow exhaust note at idle & sounds good under power. There isn't any drone at highway speeds & the customer is extremely happy.

The ultra Flow is a good muffler with a good design. The Pypes Race Pro is the same exact design as the Ultra Flow. It's stainless and it has a lifetime warranty. PM me if you want a special member price.

Chris

The ultra Flow is a good muffler with a good design. The Pypes Race Pro is the same exact design as the Ultra Flow. It's stainless and it has a lifetime warranty. PM me if you want a special member price.

Chris
I use these Race Pro's from Pypes.. quiet at idle... bark when you want them too.

I use these Race Pro's from Pypes.. quiet at idle... bark when you want them too.
Thanks for the post I’m going to get some mufflers from Chris at cold case they’re more than Summit but I’m definitely into supporting small businesses that are getting their throats cut by mega corporations.

I have Hooker Aero Chambers on my 340 dart. TTI headers and 2.5"exhaust to the bumper. Sounds good and not too loud.

Chris
I would love to see a video comparing the Ultra Flo and Pypes Race Pro! I can't find anything where they are compared for sound.

Stay away from Dynomax Super Turbos. Sound great but terrible drone.

Do those dead-head tubes do anything to help with this, or just cancel drone?

No drone with my Dynamax Super Turbos. The Flowmaster 40's dronned horribly.

Here's a 5.9 Magnum with dynamax super turbos.

A lot is due to the engines compression and cam along with the pipes length. What drones on your car will be silent on another. The wife’s Dynomax on a tti exhaust will drone in a certain low rpm range only for a few hundred rpm. That’s it. A very small window of annoyance.
Do those dead-head tubes do anything to help with this, or just cancel drone?
Helm-hurtz or some spelling like that do work but there is a bit of science involved to solving the issue.
Do a YouTube search.

I use those and don’t get any droning at all 2 1/2from header collector right through the back . Nice and not loud but when you get on the loud peddle it barks .

Don't forget that our A-bodies have natural tendency to create a resonance at between 55 and 60 mph that cannot be tuned out; and it's worse with the windows open. Don't believe it? just tow your car in that speedzone with the engine shut off.
If your engine rpm or exhaust system, excites that resonance, there ya go; instant drone. IMO, the fastback bodystyle is a lil better than big-trunk cars.

Don't forget that our A-bodies have natural tendency to create a resonance at between 55 and 60 mph that cannot be tuned out; and it's worse with the windows open. Don't believe it? just tow your car in that speedzone with the engine shut off.
If your engine rpm or exhaust system, excites that resonance, there ya go; instant drone. IMO, the fastback bodystyle is a lil better than big-trunk cars.

My fastback is super sweet at all speeds windows open or closed .
Dougs headers and 2 1/2 all the way back. The Dart with 3" is another story but I think I can tune some of that out .

My 67 fastback was so loud with exhaust resonance that we couldn't talk while at cruise speed windows down or up. Tried two difference muffs and added resonators. Didn't help. Finally put the Helmholtz resonators on and the drone was gone, I could hear the wife no problem. Damn! :lol:

I went from a 2" full system with cheap muffler shop turbo mufflers to a full 3" system with Dynomax super turbo mufflers. Difference was night and day, both in noise reduction and low end grunt. The small system droned horribly, and the 3 inch was far quieter in the car, but had a good bark under WOT. Car was a 70 Dart, mild 360 auto, tti headers.

My 67 fastback was so loud with exhaust resonance that we couldn't talk while at cruise speed windows down or up. Tried two difference muffs and added resonators. Didn't help. Finally put the Helmholtz resonators on and the drone was gone, I could hear the wife no problem. Damn! :lol:
Careful what you wish for!
:rofl:

-
Back