muncie behind 440

-
a guy just has to ask................

why.jpg

it will be behind a 440, cause the chevy its bolted to wont be able to keep up with the mopar the 440 is in,,,:violent1:

truth fully,,i dont know why,,,but you could probably get a bell housing/scatter shield from QUICK TIME to make that combination,,

it will be behind a 440, cause the chevy its bolted to wont be able to keep up with the mopar the 440 is in,,,:violent1:

truth fully,,i dont know why,,,but you could probably get a bell housing/scatter shield from QUICK TIME to make that combination,,
If Quick Time does not have one listed, call them. They built me one that was not listed on there web site....

Muncie transmissions are really good trannys. These were used behind the L-88 Vettes (M-21), the LS-6 Chevelle (450HP, M-22 "Rock Crusher"), and the Buick GSX (510LB of TQ, M-22 "Rock Crusher"). I've never had a problem with my M-22 (no its not for sale). Now I'm not saying there better or worst then the 833, I'm just saying they are good strong trannys.

I think the best way would be to place it back in the chevy from whence it came and never look back

I would also ask why……..

The 833 is stronger, costs less and is easier to find. I see zero advantages in running a muncie in a mopar.

Muncie transmissions are really good trannys. These were used behind the L-88 Vettes (M-21), the LS-6 Chevelle (450HP, M-22 "Rock Crusher"), and the Buick GSX (510LB of TQ, M-22 "Rock Crusher"). I've never had a problem with my M-22 (no its not for sale). Now I'm not saying there better or worst then the 833, I'm just saying they are good strong trannys.

You forgot the M20.

I know a guy with an El Camino 400 4 speed. Forget what Munci he had but from what he told me parts were hard to find for it.

It's true. They are hard to come by especially if you don't wanna give 800 bucks for one. They are good transmissions, but when 833s are a bolt in swap and probably cheaper, I gotta wonder why, too. Weight would be the only thing I could come up with because the muncies do have an aluminum case. I'd still want the 833.

direction connection use t ooffer an over the counter aluminum case as a race piece,,, some of the factory over drive tranys came with an aluminum case,

now i think you can get an aluminum case thru passion

In my day('70's) it was always the other way around.....the Chevy boys were jealous of our 833's...we could beat the hell out of em w/ no failures.....I've seen plenty of split cases on the Muncie's.....and most shifted like school buses.....Mopar was smart to couple the Husrt shifters to our 833's'(elstocko)

The Chevy and Mopar mix idea isnt totally out of the question, but in this case I can only see that maybe the user wants the 2.20 low (Tall?) first gear ratio that the 833 cannot match.
Years ago while just out of high school, I was into Chevies and Camaros in particular. I really wanted a Charger but since my very first car was a 69 Dart with a worn out front suspension, I wanted to do a Camaro subframe install in a 69 Charger. Now I own a 70 Charger R/T clone and cant imagine replacing the far superior Mopar design for a heavier design with the less than ideal weight distribution.

I thought it was strange too but thats what he said.

I thought they had aluminum cases for the 833?

"They" do, but as pointed out, they are an expensive aftermarket alternative, or if you're lucky enough to have an 833OD with aluminum case. I don't understand the the reasoning behind that arguement. The difference in weight is great, but to me, I would much rather have the cast iron case for strength and lose weight elsewhere.

several articles I've read (years ago) said the factory alumium case used (around75-'76) in the 833OD for cars like the Feather Duster (yeah..right) had problems..primarily with the bearing supports

In my day('70's) it was always the other way around.....the Chevy boys were jealous of our 833's...we could beat the hell out of em w/ no failures.....I've seen plenty of split cases on the Muncie's.....and most shifted like school buses.....Mopar was smart to couple the Husrt shifters to our 833's'(elstocko)

"In my day" if the chivvy boys wanted a good strong transmission, they found a Ford top loader, an easy swap because of the input shaft

At least the Muncie was better than the lowly Saginaw. Our
neighbor guy had a '70 Camaro with the 307/Saginaw combo.
He replaced the 307 with a mildly built 396 and was driving
(get that? driving; not pulling a holeshot), let off the gas for
a moment and floored it. He pushed the cluster gear right out
of the bottom of the case!

Having owned a couple of trouble-free M-21's behind small blocks
I nonetheless would never want anything but an A833 after seeing
the relentless beating they take without a whimper. I don't care
which case material or which input spline......You know who I'm
talking about (besides yourself)......don't you Denny?

-
Back