My 1 and only Probuilt motor

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Way back in 04/05 I had a Pro build a 383 .030 over with TRW pistons. I have 1 Prized momento of it. Well I guess I have 2 momento’s. 1 burn out, 1 run down the track. Next time in the burn out box I kinda thought something may be wrong. I slowly drove down the track to the return road. As soon as I took my foot off the gas it just quit. Never to run again. Kim

64ED273E-D67C-44C0-A59F-23B52997E392.jpeg

7B97EF63-019B-4AB3-B835-C031E3878F8F.jpeg

D461DD38-BD0F-487F-BE81-1A838F2342AF.jpeg

1D59CB1C-EB36-4575-B512-54F7878B98BB.jpeg

1BE9F54E-BC3E-42CB-8D74-E37CBEBF29BD.jpeg

0DCB00DD-68C3-4D7B-8E0F-3A385B8A1410.jpeg

BF1C4BEF-5A31-489D-AB7E-A04125D63D9A.jpeg

F6E7D3F3-9810-4B5E-B1BB-9FBDCCFD1F19.jpeg

What was the upper rpm range of the 383. How many runs do you figure.
2005 is a long time ago spinning those heavy TRW's.
I spun a 383 with custom light weight pistons on a standard rod 7000-7500 hundreds of runs, got lucky never threw a rod.
Of course it helped freshening it up every winter. lol

No it didn’t have any coolant in it. 6500 rpm. It was broken in on the Dyno. The Pro told me the piston was hammering the head. The three bolts came loose on the cam and broke the pin off. He said: I guess thats racing. That sometimes happens. No warranty. Other 7 pistons and rods are good. Only 1 run down the track. Kim

Looks like the bearing is burned out. Were the other rods OK?

Hammering the head, that'll do it every time.
What other goodies were in the engine, heads ?

I know how you feel,I also got two passes on a pro built 416 and the same response from the so called professional.

THIS , my friends is exactly why u build ur own engines , if it breaks , it ur fault ,

And its exactly this ^^^^ why I prefer to machine and have the customer assemble. Especially when the customer is adamant on using stuff like 30 year old connecting rods and ancient heavy *** pistons like TRW's in bores that are worn out but "just need a hone" .
I can tell trouble is on the horizon when the customer knows more than me. J.Rob

Im no engine builder by any means,nor do i get into the high performance end of things. But i do prefer to assemble engine myself this way its all on me.

it sucks you didnt get more runs out of the motor.

I don't understand the root cause of the failure, what happened during assembly, one connecting rod was not torqued/tightened?

And its exactly this ^^^^ why I prefer to machine and have the customer assemble. Especially when the customer is adamant on using stuff like 30 year old connecting rods and ancient heavy *** pistons like TRW's in bores that are worn out but "just need a hone" .
I can tell trouble is on the horizon when the customer knows more than me. J.Rob
This was new pistons with a fresh bore job by him. He rebuilt the rods to his liking. He assembled it and ran it on the Dyno. All I did was install it. In fact he recommended and supplied every part he put it. This was supposed to make an easy 450 hp with race gas. Which I used 110. Kim

This was new pistons with a fresh bore job by him. He rebuilt the rods to his liking. He assembled it and ran it on the Dyno. All I did was install it. In fact he recommended and supplied every part he put it. This was supposed to make an easy 450 hp with race gas. Which I used 110. Kim

So what did it make on the Dyno and at what RPM? You seem to imply that it didn't make the goal of 450hp or maybe you just didn't have the seat time to confirm?

You didn't mention what budget you imposed on him. If you said he had the freedom ($$) to use better components then he is a fool. If not then he did the best he could with what he had to work with. Besides all of this--There is no such thing as warranty on race stuff. Most true and experienced racers acknowledge this and resign themselves to the fact that **** breaks when pushed beyond their limits. J.Rob

This post should be made a sticky.

So what did it make on the Dyno and at what RPM? You seem to imply that it didn't make the goal of 450hp or maybe you just didn't have the seat time to confirm?

You didn't mention what budget you imposed on him. If you said he had the freedom ($$) to use better components then he is a fool. If not then he did the best he could with what he had to work with. Besides all of this--There is no such thing as warranty on race stuff. Most true and experienced racers acknowledge this and resign themselves to the fact that **** breaks when pushed beyond their limits. J.Rob
I’m going by memory here as I have moved and the paperwork was lost. It did make his numbers or close to it. 6500 was the rpm. Like I said b4 1 run down the track shifting at 6000. Ran 12.7. 74 duster 3350 with driver. 4.30 gears 27 inch slicks. He had free rein to do as he seen fit. His bill was just less than $5000.00 Canadian. I do realize the non warranty implications. I was hoping to run this combo for a few years as I only get to the track 2 or 3 times each year. I wouldn’t think that the 3 bolts on the camshaft coming out should be my problem. I think that should be on him. I think he should of been willIng to help out some instead of blowing me off. Kim

I’m going by memory here as I have moved and the paperwork was lost. It did make his numbers or close to it. 6500 was the rpm. Like I said b4 1 run down the track shifting at 6000. Ran 12.7. 74 duster 3350 with driver. 4.30 gears 27 inch slicks. He had free rein to do as he seen fit. His bill was just less than $5000.00 Canadian. I do realize the non warranty implications. I was hoping to run this combo for a few years as I only get to the track 2 or 3 times each year. I wouldn’t think that the 3 bolts on the camshaft coming out should be my problem. I think that should be on him. I think he should of been willIng to help out some instead of blowing me off. Kim

Well he definitely did not handle it properly if that was the case. I don't offer warranty per se but I won't leave my customers high and dry either. You still didn't mention the budget that you discussed with the builder. Surely it wasn't carte blanche. J.Rob

The budget was his bill. The only thing is I wanted to use my mildly ported heads. He still went over them which I was fine with. He told me that straight up that he doesnt trust anyone’s work. Kim

-
Back