My 1 and only Probuilt motor

-
Kim - what does the rod journal/bearing look like? Is the block damaged. Not much selection when it comes to 383 pistons, is there.

Looks like the bearing is burned out. Were the other rods OK?

Looks like it cooked the rod bearing, which is likely the root cause of the actual “failure”.
What caused the bearing to fail? That’s another question.

My 383, which had nice heavy TRW flat tops, stock rods, and a cast crank out of a 400...... got about 114 pulls on the dyno(not a typo)......most to 7K, and about 200 passes in the car.

Still looked basically perfect when I took it apart.
It made about 485hp with unported 906’s.

Kim - what does the rod journal/bearing look like? Is the block damaged. Not much selection when it comes to 383 pistons, is there.
From what I remember It bent a couple of valves. Not sure about the crank. Not sure if the rod caught the block or not. I still have it. It is stored away. I haven’t seen it since then. I must of thought it is salvageable if I kept it. Kim

From what I remember It bent a couple of valves. Not sure about the crank. Not sure if the rod caught the block or not. I still have it. It is stored away. I haven’t seen it since then. I must of thought it is salvageable if I kept it. Kim

I see, this must have happened a while ago.

Some left over trash in the oiling system probably made that rod bearing crap out.

I think durability and attention to detail are just two of the reasons that you would choose a professional motor Builder. There was a time when a person's reputation was based on his integrity and standing behind his work. To say s*** brakes doesn't cut it! I'm not paying you to build s*** how can a factory motor with so-called crap Pistons and sub performance parts leave its drive shaft in the middle of the road floated valves numerous times suffer through a hundred thousand miles of torture and still be running strong like many of our original Motors did, then a so-called high performance motor shitz itself within the first week and you're going to tell me that's the way the cookie crumbles? There was a time you better be ready to duck after a statement like that or maybe just get in a line of work that you can satisfy your customers and guarantee your work. I have seen engine builders eat a lot of the cost going back through I motor under circumstances similar to that that's if any things even salvageable . That customer will still lose out big time even if the motor Builder Works to make it right.

I think durability and attention to detail are just two of the reasons that you would choose a professional motor Builder. There was a time when a person's reputation was based on his integrity and standing behind his work. To say s*** brakes doesn't cut it! I'm not paying you to build s*** how can a factory motor with so-called crap Pistons and sub performance parts leave its drive shaft in the middle of the road floated valves numerous times suffer through a hundred thousand miles of torture and still be running strong like many of our original Motors did, then a so-called high performance motor shitz itself within the first week and you're going to tell me that's the way the cookie crumbles? There was a time you better be ready to duck after a statement like that or maybe just get in a line of work that you can satisfy your customers and guarantee your work. I have seen engine builders eat a lot of the cost going back through I motor under circumstances similar to that that's if any things even salvageable . That customer will still lose out big time even if the motor Builder Works to make it right.
Wouldnt even take a look at it. I got a good lesson that’s for sure. 1 I won’t ever forget. Kim

Curious...... where did the pistons come from?
The 2293’s were out of production looooong before 2004/2005.

Way back in 04/05 I had a Pro build a 383 .030 over with TRW pistons. I have 1 Prized momento of it. Well I guess I have 2 momento’s. 1 burn out, 1 run down the track. Next time in the burn out box I kinda thought something may be wrong. I slowly drove down the track to the return road. As soon as I took my foot off the gas it just quit. Never to run again. Kim

View attachment 1715543451

View attachment 1715543452

View attachment 1715543453

View attachment 1715543454

View attachment 1715543455

View attachment 1715543456

View attachment 1715543457

View attachment 1715543458
Must've been a 383 Chevy stroker in mopar clothes

No it didn’t have any coolant in it. 6500 rpm. It was broken in on the Dyno. The Pro told me the piston was hammering the head. The three bolts came loose on the cam and broke the pin off. He said: I guess thats racing. That sometimes happens. No warranty. Other 7 pistons and rods are good. Only 1 run down the track. Kim
By the looks of that piston, it doesn't look like it was hammering the head & if it was why the he'll didnt he check the clearance. I'd go kick his *** oldkimmer, a real good 1.
That makes me mad for you

No other piston has any marks on them. There is a bit of a mark on that 1 I think it may have slammed the head when the rod broke on the up swing. Yes I say it’s his fault. He is still in business today. Kim

I don't know how these guys can do such terrible work and still stay in business.the guy who did our machine work for 20 years started collecting cans.and I'm not the only one with a horror story.if I put the roof on your house and the first time it rains your ceiling falls on your bed.i wouldnt get away with a oh well sorry

No other piston has any marks on them. There is a bit of a mark on that 1 I think it may have slammed the head when the rod broke on the up swing. Yes I say it’s his fault. He is still in business today. Kim

I didnt catch all these posts , but it sounds like something went thru the engine and blew it out .
A dropped valve will usually get more than one cyl. , but something may not if it went thru the intake .------------??

The piston wasn’t likely hitting the head till the rod bearing was wasted........ then there’s a lot more bearing clearance...... then the piston starts whacking the head.

If the motor was built with fairly tight piston to head clearance(near zero deck), and a rod bearing fails...... unless it is caught very early on....... the piston usually ends up hitting the head.

-
Back