My 2 Year Old $2500 Compressor Just Died

-
Might be worth asking the motor guy what kind of PM (preventative maintenance) you can do too. A cheap clamp-on meter would allow you to check amps occasionally so that you can hopefully spot a problem before the smoke comes out. A few spare motor capacitors (if so equipped) might not be a bad idea either. I'm no motor expert, but know that those two things can go a long way toward preventing downtime.
Thanks for the idea. I am wondering if 45 minutes on and 10 or 15 off would help. I'll ask the motor repair guy when I pick the new motor up from him after I have him tweak it.

I was lucky when I got my compressor. It was manufactured locally by Ingersol Rand and was used for a quality audit where it was run for a few hours. A friend’s father was a head engineer there and I got it for $500. Two stage 5hp 60 gallon 220 volt single phase.

I was lucky when I got my compressor. It was manufactured locally by Ingersol Rand and was used for a quality audit where it was run for a few hours. A friend’s father was a head engineer there and I got it for $500. Two stage 5hp 60 gallon 220 volt single phase.
That`s what my old compressor is. This thing went through an abusive life., service station rig. Hard telling how many motors it`s been through, but currently has a USA made Dayton. I traded a buddy for a relatively new craftsman 5hp gas portable, which he said didn`t last very long. It has given me a few issues but I learned to rectify them my self, just cleaning a valve out every few years. Early 70`s model that I`ve had now for about 29 years. I`ll nurse it till a rod blows, I can`t find zero parts for it.

My cousin has a big mechanical state inspection and tire shop and he was having compressor issues. My Dad was an electrician so after he died I brought all of his old stock home so I gave my cousin one of the small 110 volt fans I had. As far as I know everything is fine now
83F79239-6410-4773-80B4-7C91BC8B1972.jpeg

The "Chinese" make what the manufacturer specifies.

Your beef is not with them or with TP tools.

It is with Champion.

They must know they are selling you a crapshoot motor or the warranty would be the same as the compressor.
Ill not totally on board with that. IDK if TP specified the "winding coating thickness" or other minutia involving an electric motor build contract. They probably just requested "2.5HP, 120/230V 1 or 3 phase and frame size...and a 1 yr warranty" in a low bid contract. They got what they wanted. Even old GOOD motors are available cheap on Craigs. Id expect to buy another GOOD used motor for that compressor before TP gets through with you. Bummer.

{Just read #37, good for you! Sometimes being nice but firm in your stance makes all the difference}

Does new motor come with warranty? Maybe chk and see what you or they can do to extend it? If possible.

i dont know about TP specifically, but it seems to be common practice around here to maintain the warranty on the replacement part from the original purchase date...so in this case, the replacement motor would allready be out of warranty

Anyone getting a good deal on a car these days, new or used is doing something right.
Glad that things worked out for the OP.
That’s doing something right.

did i tell you yall about when i bought my wife a new winterbeater a few months ago?

i found a guy who buys them at police auctions and then recivlizes them

he had a couple on the lot and the one i liked best actually had decent miles and a fair price
so going out there, i allready knew i was willing to pay sticker because it was fair, but being Dutch you know i had to try and haggle

so i told the guy, will you take $500 less for it?
and he said, no, i know what i got and its a fair price
i told him i couldnt argue with him on that, but with me being Dutch, my mom would get mad if i didnt at least try

he said, well, just tell her you ran into another stubborn Dutchman
so i said, hold on, are you telling me you really are Dutch...or just Dutch descendant?
he said, well, my name is DeVries, so i am Dutch

i said OK, in dat geval gaan we nu dit hele verhaal nog een keer doen, maar dan in het Nederlands
dus, doen we der nog een keer $500 vanaf?

the look on his face was priceless and he said: yeah OK, i can knock 200 off for that trick

I've used the line- "come on, give me $100 off so I feel like I got a good deal".

Amazing how often that works.

Thanks for the idea. I am wondering if 45 minutes on and 10 or 15 off would help. I'll ask the motor repair guy when I pick the new motor up from him after I have him tweak it.
I never saw a electric motor broken in during my 20 plus years in power gen other than running for several minutes with no load while a electrician checked it and even that on board the ship, mechanics replaced a motor, did the coupling alignment while the electrician wired it, started it, checked for proper rotation and than on line.....Motors are checked before they are run.
The amount of use your compressor gets would dictate how HD a motor and pump you have......A hour indicator would help .....I think in the end you got a crap motor and had the bad luck of it failing
What I did see in large industrial motors was waiting a specific time after shutting one down before starting again......Its the starts and stops and the load of course

That`s what my old compressor is. This thing went through an abusive life., service station rig. Hard telling how many motors it`s been through, but currently has a USA made Dayton. I traded a buddy for a relatively new craftsman 5hp gas portable, which he said didn`t last very long. It has given me a few issues but I learned to rectify them my self, just cleaning a valve out every few years. Early 70`s model that I`ve had now for about 29 years. I`ll nurse it till a rod blows, I can`t find zero parts for it.
I have an emglo 5hp gas powered compressor, was a twin "hot dog"tank style, tanks sprung leaks, in 1 tank, got tired of chasing them with the mig, I found a burnt up 30 gallon crapsman oilless compressor on CL really cheap. I cut the motor mount plate off the leaky hot dog tank set and welded it to the oilless compressor tank and have been using it as my backup for over 10 years. Right now my son is borrowing it til he can find a deal on a 80 gallon upright like mine.
I did put a different 5hp Briggs onto it about 5 years ago when the original one from 79 blew up on me.
That thing has been so handy to toss in the back of my truck and take it along for roadside repairs.

I'd be surprised if the new motor came with any warranty since you didn't have to pay for it & they didn't have to give it to you.
That being said, I spent 38yrs as the head of maintenance in a textile factory and over the years have bought many motors of all sizes. Baldor motors are not what they used to be. They just don't seem to last anymore.
I've had good luck with Dayton & Leeson motors. They are better built and work well in harsh conditions. [dust & heat]

-
Back