My $210.00 3 Inch Exhaust System

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
Well I decided that with the new 418 stroker a 2 1/4" exhaust just wasn't gonna cut it. So my buddy Larry found a $159.00 kit on Ebay that included every turn and straight piece we needed. Couple that with a couple of Summit 2 chamber mufflers at $29.95 each and you've got yourself a KILLER sounding exhaust. It pretty much took from noon on Saturday to 3 AM on Sunday to complete but it turned out very nice. The system is tucked up under the car as close as you can get it and I was able to keep my original exhaust tips by cutting the ends off (as it turns out they are 3" after the reducer) and using the 2 pieces of the expanded sections from the kit to slip over the tips and pipe. I love the sound deep and bassy but now I've got an oil leak to chase down and it looks like it could be the main bearing seal ARRRRGH Here are the pictures.

IMG_20180617_024608259-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180617_024618275-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180617_024624091-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180617_024627976-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180617_024651144-800x600.jpg

Not bad at all! I am gonna do my truck the same way.

your pipes are bigger than your driveshaft! :D
post the link to the exhaust kit

Not bad at all! I am gonna do my truck the same way.

Yeah it takes a little time, me and my buddy Larry were dead on our feet but if you don't mind putting in the time then the price is right. The only hard part was pie cutting the pipes to bend them as we didn't have anything to bend 3" pipe so we just took a pie cut out of the pipe, bent it and welded it back together. Time consuming but it really does sound awesome.

Ive done pipes like that too, take a cut and bend, stitch it back up.

The pie cut is the way to do it.
I built a chair with 1”x2” rectangle tubing. Cut a slot every 3/16” to make radius bends. Took endless hours. A series of slots can smooth the bends, just have to figure the amount of cuts. Pie cuts are quicker and take less welding.

Nice job. Will be looking for a similar kit to do mine.

Cool ! I just bought a 3" Summit system for my Dart.
The mufflers arent bad. How do they sound in the car ? Any droning ?

Looks good. I bought the 2 1/2 kit from summit for my 68. It had enough bends to do it without any pie cutting, and it came with mufflers and hangars. A lift would have been nice...

Cool ! I just bought a 3" Summit system for my Dart.
The mufflers arent bad. How do they sound in the car ? Any droning ?
No drone and most of the noise out of the rear of the car but I did insulate the floor with home depot roll foil coated insulation (cheap) when I installed the engine.

Nicely done and what a great sound! And on a budget too.

That sounds badass!
Thanks RRR. You were kinda following my build thread and you know the pain I've been through. Now I just have to find the oil leak that's coming out of the bell housing, I praying it's not the main deal. I was thinking that it might be due to the 5W -30 synthetic oil I am using getting past the seal. We'll see

Looks good. I bought the 2 1/2 kit from summit for my 68. It had enough bends to do it without any pie cutting, and it came with mufflers and hangars. A lift would have been nice...
Yeah a lift definitely helps. I'm not sure how well it would have turned out if we had to lay on the floor with the car on jack stands. That would require a WHOLE NEW level of patience. My buddy Larry deserves way more credit for the way this turned out. He is one of those guys who doesn't accept that it can't be done and his fab skills are incredible. Good to have someone like that on my side. Even with the lift it took us from 12:00 PM on Saturday till 3:00 AM on Sunday to complete and then I had to wait until Sunday afternoon to start it for obvious reasons LOL

I just did a kegs 3" kit, nice to do it yourself.

Real close the driveline and yolk, probably the pic angle.
I have not seen a kit that puts the pipes under the gas tank and around the center of the rear end either, kinda strange but hey.... Painted it all too, never thought of doing that.

I run a similar solid roller, the 2 1/2 was holding back with mine, really woke up with 3" and some dynomax ultra flows, pulls further up in the R's , probably extended the rpm 400 or so, definitely had to go up 1 jet size in the primary with the demon 750 aka 780cfm dbl pump.

Good job for doing it yourself, hope it works out on the road.

-
Back