My 340 completed and dyno test run!

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
Thanks to all those who gave advice and pointers on my engine build! After 3+ long years it's finally complete!

20160205_132237.jpg

And Video: [ame]https://youtu.be/VV4rKY79Oc8[/ame]

Build details:
'70 340 bored .040 over, 10.1:1 comp.
Speed pro pistons L2316F cut for zero deck height
Edelbrock rpm heads (closed chamber) bought bare and had done with Ferrea valves and comp cams springs. Milled to 58.5cc.
Dove aluminum roller rockers 1.5 with Hughes Engine shafts.
Eddy RPM intake cut to fit engine and port matched to heads
4778 700cfm Holley 71&81 jets
MSD 8534 mech adv dizzy
Comp cams hyd roller cam XR280HR-10
(Lift .541/.537 Duration 230/236 Lobe Sep 106)
Lunati retro fit roller lifters

411 hp @ 5800
430 ft-lbs @ 4200

Build was kept in check for a street car (my '71 Scamp) and to have some low rpm street manners. This should be fun though in such a light car. But now I need to focus on getting the body of the car done right...that's a whole 'nother adventure.

Nice! Would you happen to have a graph/chart?

Thank you!

Not yet. I have the numbers of one pull but not a graph yet. Of course I could put one together since I have the figures.

Sweet little engine, it should be a blast.

On those Lunati lifters, what part number did you use and did it take any modifications or wall grinding to fit?

It was a mix of parts I bought and gave to my builder and parts he bought direct. The lifters he bought and I don't have the p/n. From my understanding, these being retro fit no modification was required. I'll ask him when I pick up the motor.

I do know he was going with comp cam lifters too but they were on backorder for six months. So he went to lunati instead.

I bet they are Lunati 72337-16.

EDIT: I'm almost certain those have the be the lifters. They are the only street performance retrofit hydraulic roller lifters I can find that Lunati offers for SBM. Plus the price matches up pretty close to what I paid, and my builder gave me a fairly detailed breakdown on all labor costs and there's no charge for modifying the lifter bores or lifters. I also recall talking to him about this and the retrofit are supposed to be made for "drop-in and go", in most cases.

I remember dyno day with my 340. Motor started after one crank. My numbers were less than yours but I was using stock 2.02 J heads and an 800cfm eddy performer. Still cranked out 390hp at 410lbs of tq. With an A904 transgo shift kit and Hughes 3200 stall converter it is down right fun in my 69 Dart. The 800cfm carb helps at the end of the 1/4 mile. I wonder if this would make it faster...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/5418421305.html

Nice. What times were you achieving in the 1/4?

I remember dyno day with my 340. Motor started after one crank. My numbers were less than yours but I was using stock 2.02 J heads and an 800cfm eddy performer. Still cranked out 390hp at 410lbs of tq. With an A904 transgo shift kit and Hughes 3200 stall converter it is down right fun in my 69 Dart. The 800cfm carb helps at the end of the 1/4 mile. I wonder if this would make it faster...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/5418421305.html

Nice. What times were you achieving in the 1/4?

At Fontana(sea level) on Drag Radials@19lbs, 5 gallons of gas, no spare tire or jack I got these runs in:(with the help of some old timers)
12:50@107 This was with 30lbs of air in the drag radials and the spare tire and jack still in the trunk.(This is where two older bearded men, one with a club foot, true pit rats suggested what became the 12:20@108 run).
12:95@95 This run was after I emptied out the trunk and dropped the air pressure of the rear tires. I backed out of it because it felt 'weird', like I was starting to drift to the center of the track
12:20@108 This run made me feel good. My reaction time wasn't very good. Also I have a Lokar kickdown system and found out that I have to have my right foot higher up on the gas pedal for the carburetor to be full throttle.
12:02@110 This was the best run of the day for me. I was satisfied. Adjusted my shift points to 5800rpm. I was shifting at 5500 before. I Launched at 2200 RPM.
11:98@113 This run was achieved with my friend driving my car and is all she's got. He has a small block Nova and has lots of experience in drag racing. He was so impressed with that ET he started rethinking his 350 build in his Nova. He did two things before the run. Lowered the rear tire pressure to 18lbs, added air pressure to the front tires to 34lbs, and did a better burn out than I did all day. He came back to the pits with a big smile. My car weighs 3053 lbs with me NOT in it.

It was fun. I'm 56 now and last time I was on a dragstrip was in the early 80's at Terminal Island. I was super nervous at first but I've been back three times. I have cutouts but are not allowed to use them at this track unless I attend bracket racing events. My car wasn't built for that. Just an occasional trip to the track. People are cool. Just like the old days. Everyone is always willing to help and there are always old gearheads there with no cars but lots of history. I was happy with my runs and didn't quite expect those ETs. But I did my homework on building the car hoping for 12 seconds and that's what I got.

Nice build nice 1/4 mile...sounds like a fun street strip car. I'm almost ready to assemble my 412 stroker short block can't wait

Looks impressive. You should have a lot of fun with that.

Outstanding. If I'm just deep into the 12's...I'll be a happy abody owner. :)

At Fontana(sea level) on Drag Radials@19lbs, 5 gallons of gas, no spare tire or jack I got these runs in:(with the help of some old timers)
12:50@107 This was with 30lbs of air in the drag radials and the spare tire and jack still in the trunk.(This is where two older bearded men, one with a club foot, true pit rats suggested what became the 12:20@108 run).
12:95@95 This run was after I emptied out the trunk and dropped the air pressure of the rear tires. I backed out of it because it felt 'weird', like I was starting to drift to the center of the track
12:20@108 This run made me feel good. My reaction time wasn't very good. Also I have a Lokar kickdown system and found out that I have to have my right foot higher up on the gas pedal for the carburetor to be full throttle.
12:02@110 This was the best run of the day for me. I was satisfied. Adjusted my shift points to 5800rpm. I was shifting at 5500 before. I Launched at 2200 RPM.
11:98@113 This run was achieved with my friend driving my car and is all she's got. He has a small block Nova and has lots of experience in drag racing. He was so impressed with that ET he started rethinking his 350 build in his Nova. He did two things before the run. Lowered the rear tire pressure to 18lbs, added air pressure to the front tires to 34lbs, and did a better burn out than I did all day. He came back to the pits with a big smile. My car weighs 3053 lbs with me NOT in it.

-
Back