..my 50th B-day gift is a dirty primered time machine!

-

Fgill

Reaction score
Ive been gone a long time, none of you will remember me. Very long stort short, I was able to make a 25yr dream come true. Im back in an a-body sports coupe!!
1971 Demon original B7 blue, tan interior, slant6 car, column car.
Previous owner, (who passed away during his rebuilding of it) converted it over to
426 max wedge, console car with black interior. It sat in his garage for 4 yrs after his passing, as his wife was unable to part with it. Some things have been done very much up to standard, including full professional front end rebuild, 8.75 suregrip 3.91 rear, tied subframes, proper floor column, car is all steel, half oe paint/ half primer, NO rust except for trunk well and tiny bubbles along glass edges. Car is super solid but missing alot and needs alot replaced. interior is..well..all gonna have to go away, its a total mess mix of whatever. Came with a pickup truck bed full of spare parts, much of which I will have to sell off to fund the rebuild, as this took most of our saving account.
Car needs help though, will not run worth a crap (horribly bad studder/miss at all speeds off idle, no power at all), trans is sloppy & leaking with nearly no indication what gear you put it in...but the bones are most cwertainly there!
For me, its a time machine of days gone by, when my life was simplier, I was much younger and all I had was my 1972, a few wrenches, less money and a dirt driveway....

IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7443.JPG

IMG_7445.JPG

All I see is potential, I don't see any problems. Take each issue one at a time, you will get there. Have fun. Maybe we can help.

That E-body shifter may be part of your linkage problems.

Thank You guys!! no matter what the issue is, I am lucky & thankful to have it!!!!
I agree with the linkage issue Sireland67, Ive learned that simply pulling it all out and starting over is often easier & less costly than trying to sort someone elses "JEP" (just enough to pass)
YES, I will need help, its been a long time and unlike this car, Im a bit rusty..lol

Good bones, great start. Time to re-kindle an old flame.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I like it alot!! The only thing I see in the interior that I don't like is those modern bucket seats. I'm not a fan of modern interior in a classic car jmo! Great find tho it has a lot of potential and you got a big block demon! COOL!

Happy birthday!! What an awesome way to kick off a new decade.

RIP to the previous owner. The guy clearly had good taste.

I have owned only one max wedge and it was in a 68 GTX, had the crossram , the PO had built it. Ran like a striped *** ape! Happy Birthday and welcome back.

All the interior is coming out, hopefully this week and most of it will not go back in. It has those horrible seats, black rattle can paint everywhere, 2 door dart door panels, dash pad is covered over with some sort of fabric, e-body shifter, etc...Im not certain what direction I want to go with it all yet, but its not any of the above..lol.
Thank you guys for the B-day wishes!

Welcome back!

Be sure to replace that rubber fuel line to something safer like steel tubing. That’s an engine fire waiting to happen with all that rubber fuel line over a hot engine.

I agree with you -seats out- sell them. I would go original. Legendary auto interiors should make proper panels for your car. Some painting and a new dash pad. Take your time and make it look good!

I agree with you -seats out- sell them. I would go original. Legendary auto interiors should make proper panels for your car. Some painting and a new dash pad. Take your time and make it look good!
I agree make it as nice as you want it , but please don't take 10 years on it and still not running as I sometimes see!!??? ha

PROJECT UPDATE:
gutted 90% of the interior today. retained enough to still be able to drive it around/in-out of the yard/garage. turns out, the car was originally a manual shift. someone at some point converted it over, including pedal assy and added this e-body shifter and a wierd mix of console brackets, but the traces of it once being a gear grinder are all there.
I located the 2nd fender tag which reads D21 code & build date of Sept 14 1970, LA manf plant. :)

IMG_7538e.jpg

IMG_7539e.jpg

IMG_7544e.jpg

-
Back