65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
It’s been a long time since i’ve Updated this thread what with the 47 Dodge project, parting out a 65 Barracuda and life in general. I finally made a Powertrain decision the other day on the 47 based on what I have available and consulting with my oldest son who will eventually get it - a 70 340 with an A500 with a B Body 8.75 with 3.55 SG for gears.

I told my youngest son about those plans so of course he asked what’s going in the wagon. He said please, please don’t stick a slant in it, even with a 4 speed - a V8 would be a better choice. I told him he’ll be getting the wagon after i’m done and had some fun with it. So, he and I decided to use the nearly assembled 66 273/235 (which was supposed to go in the 65 Barracuda before the decision was made to part it out) along with the 4 speed out of the Barracuda and the A Body 8.75 with 3.23SG sitting on a rear end stand.

The partially assembled slant - I’ll hold on to the slant and other 4 speed should another early A show up - kind of doubt that lol!

Don, For sure on the decisions. Have had the 340 since we met up in Ohio in August/16, and have had the 65 Dart for two years+. We just made the final commitment on the drive train installation...as you know. Takes a while to decide....sounds like you have a great sounding board with your son. Best on your projects. JJ

My 15 year old grandson is taking a welding class in school and has now got some experience with stick welding. He and his Dad came over the other night and wanted to try my MIG - the boy can lay down some nice beads on heavier gauge metal (20 gauge is a little shaky) for never working with a MIG (yet to come in school). I offered him sort of an apprenticeship WITH some pay to learn how to work with fabricating, fitting and finally welding the patches in place. He is chomping at the bit so to speak on learning to use my electric shears, cut-off wheel, bead roller and sheet metal brake which will be needed when doing all the floors on the 47 Dodge. We'll start on the easier stuff first - preformed passenger side front and rear floorpans for the wagon. Once we get the front fit and welded in place, I'll turn him loose with supervision on the passenger rear. I'm excited on getting back on the wagon and for him to learn some valuable skills - yes - this is what he wants to do after high school after getting all his welding certificates including underwater welding!

Last edited:
I am glad your grandson is a cool kid and wants to learn some useful skills NOT found on the hand help idiot devices!!! I love it when young people find their passion in life! Way too many people wander thru life......

Hi Don. Great! First steps in "how to hold a screwdriver", "rasp movements" and at least "how to weld" I learned from my grandfather in his tiny shop. He used to work as an engineer at BBC (Brown Boveri Company) here in Baden. I still can remember the smell of oil, grease and iron shavings. Wonderful memories!!

My son brought his kids by this afternoon so his son Robbie could get a start on learning how to remove old rusty floorpans, fitting the repro and finally welding them in place. I showed him the passenger front and rear (which both need replacing) and the repair panels. He decided to start on the passenger rear first. I got him some eye and ear protection and work gloves and went over operation of a cutoff wheel (first time ever using one). He got started with the cutoff wheel and found out the thin, rusty metal cut like a knife through butter - the good metal, not so quick. We’ve still got a long way to go before starting to fit the new floorpan. His comment - not too bad except it’s kind of cramped inside the car - he’s easily close to 6’2” so I can understand where he’s coming from. He’s back for more tomorrow so more progress on the longroof!
999683D3-C411-46AF-9176-0475FB726082.jpeg

6B9FB1C5-4D82-4490-95B8-2E302B50897E.jpeg

Last edited:
My grandson Robbie was back again today to continue removing the old rusty sheetmetal from the right rear floor pan. He was much more at ease with the cutoff wheel so the progress was a lot quicker today. Also let him play with the rolox with a 36 grit pad on it. He got most of the old pan removed and started the trimming after doing a trial fitting of the new pan to see what else needed to be removed. Always great to have some forward progress!
45E6F64D-66D5-44DA-84D8-A491FF9693CA.jpeg

My grandson Robbie is back today continuing his work to fit and weld the passenger rear floor in. He’s done all the work so far with very little help from me; mostly a little guidance along the way.
9A2E77D4-FFAD-41C3-945D-0EA79F52B478.jpeg

Getting close
BC67B6A7-AE31-4AD3-95D7-386BA9429FA4.jpeg

My grandson Robbie is back today continuing his work to fit and weld the passenger rear floor in. He’s done all the work so far with very little help from me; mostly a little guidance along the way.
View attachment 1715149093
Getting closeView attachment 1715149092

Don, Good to see the safety glasses on a young learner. When I was teaching at the local community college, the students I had, 18 to 34 yrs old, still believed that they were invincible. Looks like your grandson is learning the best way at a young age. I was very fortunate on my 65 as the floor pans were good....not so on my 66. Keep posting. Looking good, little at a time. Best. Old Dart 66

Don, Good to see the safety glasses on a young learner.

Besides the safety googles, he has ear protection and work gloves. Knee pads just in case he needed them (no sense of kneeling without protection on any hard surface).

Besides the safety googles, he has ear protection and work gloves. Knee pads just in case he needed them (no sense of kneeling without protection on any hard surface).
That is great. I guess we need to learn from them. He will be a school example of how it should be performed! I just found out I have something to learn.......!

Forgot to include a picture of it tacked in. When he comes back, he will stitch weld it all the way around and fill in the relief cuts that were made when it was made.

D666E784-878E-4961-B087-DAB6BC97FB48.jpeg

Then he will start removing the severely rusted passenger front floorpan
15B070F6-1821-44AE-8E30-E96D6B5D588B.jpeg

Last edited:
Look what showed up today for the 273/235 motor going in my wagon- the original 4 barrel intake that was on the motor when I bought it.

AEF765CF-252F-48CF-BFF6-66FEF2A621BB.jpeg

Leanna did it in Flag Red that matches the timing chain cover, AC thermostat housing and oil pan she previously did for me.

9875081F-24F3-4E98-94D6-87F634326AD2.jpeg
FC0A9AFC-F347-4364-9D64-FFE4ED4B9D51.jpeg
F68EBADA-D652-4B03-9F00-55B07EDCCDC3.jpeg

And I certainly can’t forget the Commando valve covers she also did!

00E21946-98A0-41B8-9E69-3F05DF64A992.jpeg

0B2BCB3F-6784-4610-877F-8F4D5D812FEA.jpeg

Should be a nice looking and good running motor when assembled.

Look what showed up today for the 273/235 motor going in my wagon- the original 4 barrel intake that was on the motor when I bought it.

View attachment 1715150686
Leanna did it in Flag Red that matches the timing chain cover, AC thermostat housing and oil pan she previously did for me.

View attachment 1715150688 View attachment 1715150687 View attachment 1715150685

View attachment 1715150683

View attachment 1715150684
Don, Looks "REAL" nice. Those valve covers look real good too. I've got a set just like them patiently waiting. You may know where I got them? Keep going, with your team and your experience, you'll get there. We will all wait to see the final on the project. Have you thought about the final color on the "Longroof?" Gonna be great. Best, Old Dart 66

View attachment 1715150686

View attachment 1715150688 View attachment 1715150687 View attachment 1715150685

View attachment 1715150683

View attachment 1715150684
Don! Those part looks great. I see by the thermostat housing that you are going for air condition in your wagon. Leanna do so great work!

Don, Looks "REAL" nice. Those valve covers look real good too. I've got a set just like them patiently waiting. You may know where I got them? Keep going, with your team and your experience, you'll get there. We will all wait to see the final on the project. Have you thought about the final color on the "Longroof?" Gonna be great. Best, Old Dart 66

Indeed, I know where you got them and who did the fantastic job on restoring them! Final color on the wagon will be the original WW1 White with the original color blue on the interior.

Don! Those part looks great. I see by the thermostat housing that you are going for air condition in your wagon. Leanna do so great work!

Yes, the wagon is going to get AC - that thermostat housing is a dead giveaway! Indeed, she does great work!

My grandson came by today to continue working on the wagon. We were having some problems with the welder so he started removing the passenger front floorpan.

C58DEC76-D43D-4C6F-AF0C-0AB99E1D31EB.jpeg

My grandson came by today to continue working on the wagon. We were having some problems with the welder so he started removing the passenger front floorpan.

View attachment 1715153958
Don, I just watched a segment on Watter's World regarding trade education and the time spent in post-secondary schools and colleges. Training early on in some trade area creates very valuable skills which can be built upon. Welders? Have you checked lately what these people are earning annually? Or better yet, has your grandson looked into this as a career? Trade education, indeed, and my hat is off to you for encouraging the youth in your family. Still, I see the safety glasses.....good job. Best to you and your team. The "Longroof" goes further. Old Dart 66

Hey Jerry - thanks for the comments! My grandson has already decided he wants to be a welder and knows what a good welder can earn. He is getting the basics in high school welding shop class; I am attempting to provide him some more experience As I told him, one does not normally just jump in and weld; there is prep work that must be done first. In this case old rusty metal must be removed, new metal fitted and everything cleaned up, then it can be welded. He enjoys the whole experience. Yes, safety first - eye protection, ear protection, hand protection and knee protection.

My grandson who has been doing the fitting and welding in the passenger rear floorpan has discovered other things in life - like Dodge trucks and young ladies - and doesn’t seem to have any spare time to continue working on the passenger front pan. So time to jump in and get it done. Passenger front is in as is fitting the 4 speed hump. I may grind some of the welds before seal sealing everything. I see the pics are pretty dark - sorry about that but everybody knows what floors look like!

B36067AE-32B0-48BE-853E-6DFC8210582B.jpeg
13810026-71AB-4978-A792-64FD1F70635A.jpeg

Last edited:
My grandson who has been doing the fitting and welding in the passenger rear floorpan has discovered other things in life - like Dodge trucks and young ladies - and doesn’t seem to have any spare time to continue working on the passenger front pan. So time to jump in and get it done. Passenger front is in as is fitting the 4 speed hump. I may bring some of the welds before seal sealing everything. I see the pics are pretty dark - sorry about that but everybody knows what floors look like!

View attachment 1715224951 View attachment 1715224952
Looks great Don! Do you know if anyone reproduces the 4-speed humps?

On a mechanical note, I also decided to get off my tail and finish the rear end that’s going on the wagon. It’s an A Body stock 8.75 housing with a 742 case 3.23 Sure Grip center and 94-04 Mustang disc brake set up. I bought the caliper adapters and associated hardware from @dodgedifferent2 which fit perfectly. I sourced the calipers and rotors locally and the hose with the metric end for the caliper and SAE end for the brake fittings from Summit that dodgedifferent2 found worked perfectly. My machine shop guy opened the center register of the rotor 40 or maybe 45 thou to fit over the end of my shortened and resplined LBP Truck axles. The brakes will compliment the 73-76 disc setup for the front. All that’s needed now is the grease and friction modifier and it will be ready to install.

9B326CFE-BD69-404D-9D55-373B6A53AC3F.jpeg

85DF1D1A-9618-406D-AA94-3B680A03341D.jpeg

92A5FDF7-FA92-4690-B2A1-F8A516F06261.jpeg

-
Back