My 66 Cuda

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
Well i am finally ready to start really restoring my cuda. I got her about 7 years ago and have just now started restoring. The car is complete so should be pretty easy. When i got it the /6 motor had thrown a rod. I have since put a new block in with existing equipment and have had no luck getting it to run. SO my plan is to put a 360 in. I have the motor just have to go pick it up next week. I have an A999 tranny to put in behind it. I have been working for about a month now on the interior. I am going for a semi custom look not original. The original color of the car was gold with the green interior. The interior is complete but was faded really bad. So i went ahead and painted the seats with vinyl paint and did the trim also. There are some pics below. The car will be red to match the trim with black racing stipes. I am posting here because i am sure i am going to need all the help i can get in the next few months. THanks for all the advice ahead of time.

072210114353.jpg

072210114252.jpg

072210114437.jpg

072210114502.jpg

073110142317.jpg

080510151720.jpg

080510151740.jpg

081310142320.jpg

081310142451.jpg

Looks like a real clean car - I see you are in New Mexico ? Car is from there as well ? I have relatives in Las Cruces.

Good luck with it and keep the pics coming.

Yeah i live in Capitan which is about 2 hours north of Las Cruces. The car has been in New Mexico for at least 20 years but the certicard on the fender wall says Miami. I guess the car was sold in Miami Florida? This car is really clean and totally complete i got lucky.

Ok i am putting in the 360 soon. I have a question. Should i convert to manual steering while i have the motor out and cleaning up the compartment? It would be the easiest time to do it and i have heard ps horror stories with exhaust. Just need to clean the compartment up get my tranny rebuilt and i am ready to go.

Well i finally yanked the /6 out today. I am going to start cleaning the engine compartment tomorrow and figuring things out. I was wondering exactly what i need to do the get the centerlink off. I have the v8 centerlink ready to go. Also do i need anything off of the /6 for the swap thanks Headers are for the truck the 360 came out of wont be using for car.

oh yeah the 360 came complete with manual bell housing and clutch for a pickup. I have a pickup that i can use the clutch on. What do i need to do to get the flywheel compatable with my A999 tranny i am putting behind? thanks
Kevin

You'll need a counterbalanced flex plate. B&M makes them. 360's are externally balanced and part of the balance weights are on the torque converter. If your torque converter has no welded on square weights on the face, its a neutral balanced converter, in which case you should use the B&M part. Probably some other outfits making them as well. Get one that matches the year engine you have.

Keep in mind that those headers probably wont fit, and for certain will not with power steering.

To change out the center link you need to take loose the tie rod ends, pitman and the idler arm. If you have a pitman arm puller that can be a less destructive way of removing them vs using a "pickle" fork.

In order to swap the steering box you'll need to get a steering coupler that works with the manual str input spline and longer steering shaft, or an adapter for the shaft to the box. Flaming river or maybe mancini makes these parts (I think).

Your choices on exh are spitfire shortie headers, oem cast iron for 66 and older A bodies, or TTI long headers. You'll need a bigger radiator as well, and a disc brake, and rear axle upgrade would be well advised.

looking great I just wish they had done a better job on the front clip man does it look terrible love the *** end though

oK finally got around to putting the motor in the car. I was waiting on the tranny to get rebuilt so i could drop both in together. I got the tranny from the shop the other day so i was ready. I mated the tranny to the motor and got it ready to drop in. Oops we could not get the crank pulley clear of the front end. I decided to just put the motor in by itself so that i can get the ignition wired up and fire the engine here in a week or so. Still have to get the starter on before i can fire it up. I was wondering what is the best way to support the rear of the motor and where to support it since the tranny is not installed yet. The last pic shows how little clearance the exhaust has from the steering looks like custom headers is my only option. Please any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 101210180713.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 492
  • 101210180918.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 101210180751.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 101210180657.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 489
  • 101210180827.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 485
  • 101210161013.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 473
Wow!!! That Barracuda is coming along! I plan on placing hooker headers on my 318 and squeeze it back down into my 66 Barracuda. I am looking for some floorpans, and ignition system and a 4bbl carberautor. Keep up the good work.

Looking Good! I don't have any suggestions for headers though. Keep up the great work! The interior looks GREAT!

Actually that is quite funny.,,,, I actually work in the BJ business wait wait thats Blackjack Dealer lol. Anyway business is a little down right now with the economy and all but thanks for asking.

As far as the car is concerned i am just waiting on a radiator. I have fired the engine up and it runs fine besides the old gas. I am going to figure a way to get rid of the old gas. I guess i will have to pull the tank. Have an oil leak to fix on the front pan seal. But once i get the radiator its on!! Have to wait till after Christmas though i promised the wife. Thanks guys! Heres some new pics.

Attachments

• FILE0003.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 388
  • FILE0005.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 397
  • FILE0006.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 369
  • FILE0011.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 410
Your car looks good. Did you make those seat covers? Power steering and early A's seem to mix like oil and water, you might be able to modify a set of aftermarket headers to clear the steering box,column shaft and clutch linkage. It's tight quarters in there as you already know, but there are guys who have made it work. Good luck and keep the pic's coming.

Thanks guys. The seat covers are the originals. I used some vinyl spay to get them the colors i need them. It does look good just not sure if its going to hold up. The driver seat is already fading a little. I am probably going to get some new seat covers in black after i get the car painted. The plan is to paint it Red with black racing stripes. Might be a while for the paint though. I just need to get it mechanically solid right now. Its gonna be my daily driver next summer.

Finally I figured all the small things out and the car drives still néed good brakes will update later

Congrats, The '66 is coming along good. As far as the tank goes, replace it. The gas tanks are cheap and you can find them for sale out there. I am planing on dropping a 318 in one of my V-8 barracudas. I will be watching your thread. Good Luck!

Congratulations on a solid complete 66 barracuda BJDEALER :cheers:
I seem to miss these restoration threads sometimes :read2:
I have a 66 Valiant that I have been doing some changes on a little at a time on my own.
I bet you are glad these 66 center links are the same for the slant 6 or V8
Living in Arkansas the weather will change and keep my progress slow, winter and no shop, but you have dun a great amount in a short time keeping a job and family happy :happy10:
I have the little low deck 170/ with three on the tree :burnout:
Not fast but gets me around.
Meet Victoria :iconbigg:, I moved the battery to the rear and added a 93 4.0 jeep breather and a true dual 2'' exhaust to a single 2 1/4'', offy 4bl intake and a small 390 cfm carb to.
Looking forward to see yours on the road =P~, one day I may go V8, but that would be way down the road.
You can see my radiator needs to be re welded around the top, it don't leak bad but it does need to be fixed or replaced with another one :grin:
yours looks to be in good shape and ready for a flush "I made a funny to a card dealer :iconbigg:"
Keep up the good work :cheers:

Attachments

• Picture 222 092.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Challenger%20IN%20NASCAR%20Cup%20race%20017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 235
Well I have finally started cruising around in my cuda. Its been about a 2 months now since i have had her running good enough to drive around. I still have suspension and brake work to do before i feel totally safe though. I have a serious sag in the leaf springs that is scary on the highway. I also hate the little 9 inch drums. I have not done anything but bleed them so i was wondering if i should go ahead and put new shoes etc. on them or just wait and get disk brakes? I dont think fixing these brakes will make much difference from what i have read. Should i leave the back barracuda medallion painted? I think its a neat touch. The only problem is that the paint has not dried yet. I think its because i painted over chrome? Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 0413111454a.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 0410111423.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 0413111452.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 0413111452a.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 0413111452b.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 0413111453.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 0413111453a.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 0413111454.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 245
nice looking fish you got there, if that motor runs as good as it looks you got yourself one heck of a mill there.

Only one comment though, I see you have one of them cheap-er clear plastic fuel filters on the car, toss it, I've had them things balloon on me quite a few times and let junk through the fuel lines up into the carb. After that I only use steel housing filters.

keep up the good work

-
Back