My 68 Valiant

-

scott657

Reaction score
This is my new project. 68 Valiant with a 360 auto trans. Probably more of a hot rod project than a restoration.
First order of business will be to clean up the wiring. Ill probably go to a Pertronix distributor.
Next would be the suspension, wheels and tires. The hood will get the stocker back. Heres a couple of pictures to start with. Ill get it in the sun next week and snap a few more.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

We can never have too many Valiants around here. The wiring looks like a rats nest though and it looks like they spliced in later 70's wiring into your 68 harness. The hood looks like it's from a 67-9 cuda. If you need any help this is the place to be. I have 2 67 Valiants myself.

We can never have too many Valiants around here. The wiring looks like a rats nest though and it looks like they spliced in later 70's wiring into your 68 harness. The hood looks like it's from a 67-9 cuda. If you need any help this is the place to be. I have 2 67 Valiants myself.
Yes it is a rats nest and Im an electrician by trade. I will probably go with a pertronix ignition at some point. I have had good luck with them, and I could get rid of a lot of components

I guess Ill keep a running log of my progress
Jan 5, 2017: installed new alternator bracket, now the belt lines up perfectly.

IMG_1188 (1).jpg

Looks good! I would get rid of the hood, wing and stripe...to me less is more on 67-69 Valiants.

I would find the factory starter relay if you can. It goes next the the battery and will clean things up a little more.

Welcome! Have a blast working on your car! If your kid likes the Go Wing, leave it there, it's cool.

Log entry 2-12-17
Removed front brakes etc.
removed tie rod ends, using the hammer method. A few good whacks with a ball peen did the trick.
Note : Order new tie rod ends and adjusters. Order new front hard brake lines.
This week I will tackle the upper ball joints.
I wish the years of grime was worth something Id be rich

2-19-17 old headers out, steering column out(coupler rebuild kit ordered),power steering box out.
Pitman arm seems tight, so I ill reuse it

Progress 3/4/17
LCA inside bushings ,scored with 3" cutoff wheel and chiseled off about 5 minutes each
outer bushings, scored the bushing flange with an X pattern and chiseled the edges toward center. I then welded a 3/8 washer onto it. Using a 3/8 bolt as a tool , pushed bushing out with press. Now I have to make tooling to install bushings.

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

I'm right behind you.My 68 will be on the road soon.Thank you for the great pictures.Did I notice a chin spoiler ?

-
Back