My '69 Dart Build - Finally

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post - but this is a long story.
About 13 years ago, wanting something like my old '69 340 Swinger that I stupidly sold back in the late 1980s, I bought a '69 Dart 270 on eBay. It was an unfinished project that the previous owner had tired of. It was advertised as having fresh paint, a 380-horse 360 crate motor, refreshed 727 and 8.75 rearend. If I remember correctly I paid about $4500 for the entire car and arranged shipment from Oregon to SoCal.
When I received the car I found the paint was, in fact, a fresh Maaco orange-color paint job (the closest Maaco had to GoMango), the 360 had never been fired. The PO had put a Holley 770 Street Avenger carb on the M1 single plane intake, a set of unknown headers and a new Mopar electronic ignition. The 727 looked clean but I couldn't verify what was inside and the 8.75 is a B-body rearend with a 489 pig with Sure Grip and 3.23 gears. Inside the car was a complete 3" exhaust sitting in the backseat. On the front floor was a NIB B&M Megashifter and a complete set of new Autometer guages (for a planned Rocky Mountain Dash that he never purchased). I thought I did pretty good with the buy.
Not being a fan of orange and remembering my old R4 Charger Red 340 Swinger with a white butt stripe, I made plans to strip the car down to a rolling shell and have the paint blasted. With the paint removed I found the PO hadn't been exactly truthful about the car "never been in an accident" and ended up having the rear passenger side fender replaced with a new skin by "paint shop #3" (I said this is a long story).
I sold the M1 intake and have a new Eddy RPM Air-Gap dual plane and 750DP Quick Fuel with annular boosters to go on top.
I also sold the front bench seat - it's now in New Zealand.
Wanting the best of both worlds, a quick street fighter and reliable freeway flyer, I sold the 727 and had a 200-4R with reverse-pattern manual shift and a lockup 2800-rpm stall converter built. I also purchased 4.30:1 gears for the street and occasional strip part of this build. The .67 OD of the 200-4R will give me the equivalent of 2.88 final drive on the freeway.
OK, that's enough for the first chapter. More later.

Here we are a month later so long overdue for chapter 2 - no wonder this build has taken so long!
As mentioned in post #1, their was some bodywork done by "paint shop #3". Here's the very quick story of the others, and it doesn't stop with "paint shop 3" so please do extensive due diligence if you may be doing your own shop search. Don't make the same mistakes I did.
* Shop #1 - Closed doors and disappeared with my already paid for paint before I even took my car in.
* Shop #2 - Closed doors and moved out of state just a few months after opening. Luckily I wasn't out any money to this guy.
* Shop #3 - Went to a recommended shop that ended up having my car for a year and performed some bodywork. Then stopped communicating and finally refused to give me an updated completion date. I took time off work and showed up unannounced and pulled my car out - with a little assistance from the local police because he originally refused to turn loose of it even though I didn't owe him any additional money on top of what I'd already paid.
* Shop #4 - Following another recommendation, my Dart went to another shop in the same area that specialized in custom paint jobs but the story ended up being very similar to Shop #3. After a year the owner told me he wasn't going to finish my car because his new collision repair business was much more profitable. More money spent and still not finished.
* Shop #5 - Following a recommendation from here on FABO, talked to a painter that does body and paint in the shop on his home property. He has a full-time job as an electrical engineer but has been doing body and paint since his teen years. He's doing outstanding work correcting the work of the other shops and voluntarily communicates regular updates. He supplies periodic invoices detailing what he's done and I pay based on progress. He should have my Darts body and paint finished next month. I would recommend this shop in a heartbeat...but he now has a 3-year backlog of new work waiting.
That's enough for now. More later...

I'm amazed nobody has yelled for PICS yet :)
I'm sure nothing comes close to body work for similar stories. Glad you found someone decent.
I paid 3K for a 69 with the original slant, no usable interior, so I'd say you did well.
Mine also sat around for a few years, just getting back on it.

It won't be much longer now Ken!

No, it sure won't!
Painter sent me a text today saying April 4th is the day we're going to lay out the paint mask for the rear stripe and take it straight to Viper Red paint!
It's been a long road. This is going to be SWEET!
Pics promised.

A little bit at a time...even during the current COVID-19 issue.
I received this pic from my painter today...
IMG_0420.jpg

The entire exterior will be painted April 4th. Current plan is the butt stripe area will be painted white before, then we will lay out the paint mask for the stripe and shoot the car in Viper Red.

Last edited:
A few in-process paint pics to tease with, but what's actually going into the car build-wise?
US Car Tool Torque Boxes, Core Support Stiffener, and Inner Fender Braces have been installed. Hotchkis Sub Frame Connectors were also welded in underneath and forward strut braces welded underhood to triangulate the cowl and front suspension. All this should stiffen the old girl up.
The interior is going to be black with aftermarket bucket seats. Years ago I purchased one of the last Rocky Mountain Dash panels they made before going out of business. I'm doing something different with the final finish on it but not going to post any pics of the dash until the car is done. I've got some good-looking Speed Hut gauges for the dash with a subtle custom touch. I haven't yet finalized the door panel selection.
Also going with something different for the shifter for the 4-speed auto OD. It's gonna be cool.
At this point I'm not planning on a roll bar and don't like the looks of the stock shoulder belt dangling from the roof so I'm planning on a trick way to mount the shoulder harness - you're going to have to wait for pics on that too.
As far as wheels selection, I bought these Centerline forged aluminum wheels about 10 years ago - back when Centerline was still in business and manufacturing here in SoCal. I liked this design because the wheels were cold-forged and very light while still maintaining strength. I felt the design was a slightly different twist on classic slotted mags. Another consideration was being fairly easy to clean and polish. The drawback to them now is they're no longer being made so I better take really good care of them.

Centerline.jpg

Looks Awesome ! My 69 will be same color with whitetop and interior... Hope to have it paint ready in 2 weekz

Here's the latest pic as we get closer to painting the entire car on Saturday...

69DartEngine.jpg

Here's a pic that's been a looooooong time coming...on the trailer heading for the paint booth.
Should have the back part painted white today.
Then butt stripe paint mask put on tomorrow morning and then the whole thing painted red.

040320.jpg

Up until now it's just been a long multi-wish ride just to see my Dart with some color on it.
If you've read the story then you know this is the 5th paint shop my Dart has been involved with. It's been a long ride with many disappointments, but the journey ultimately led me to the shop I wish I'd found years (and $$$) ago! My painter has gone to the limit of perfection to make sure everything is turning out RIGHT!
My Dart went into the paint booth on Friday and came out early this morning.
I LOVE the results!
Unfortunately, pics don't do the color justice as today was fairly cloudy with only the occasional patch of sunshine.
Like the shine? Just wait until it's buffed and polished.

P4055683.JPG
P4055688.JPG
P4055684.JPG
P4055681.JPG
P4055682.JPG
P4055694.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back