My Dart Swinger Project!

-
Just say no to power robbing steering on an a body..
You got a short list of any of the things you still need for your motor build?

Here is an adapter listed as for B Body, but believe they fit A Body too.
One guy has them listed as A, B, & E bodies. This will get you started, do your research. They work Great. Looks like not many left from this supplier . . better check quick.

ebay item: 323725231523

View attachment 1715303633

If you are going to get into your steering coupler to relube it, hear is a handy clip for easily getting the top back on and holding it in place. They make kits of this with the new rubber seal too, or you can buy the seal seperate.

ebay item: 291757502737

Mopar A B E Body 66-72 3" Steering Coupler Retainer Clamp STAINLESS DMT 2996935

View attachment 1715303635

Used this adapter and stainless clip on a B Body, super happy, works great.

How much does a juul cost? I remember when I needed one it was almost as much as another steering column if not more expensive than one. I think the place around here wanted like a hundred and seventy-five bucks for it ! I thought that was completely ridiculous. Had me ready to cut and sleeve my own steering shaft.

I went from automatic column shift to a floor shift steering column anyways and it was manual steering so that kind of solved it.

Oh I want to give a huge shoutout to @dgibby I really appreciate it!
I got a water pump and a oil pump from him today!! Thank you buddy!

20190321_184836.jpg

20190321_184856.jpg

This adapter costs $118.00 and free shipping.
Ebay Item number: 323746098408

I have used this seller for this part before, worked great for me. Also you can easily use your column for PS again if something should change in the future.

Treat yourself to that After Market Spring Clip that holds the top on the Power Steering Coupler if you can locate it on ebay. So easy to use, you will be so glad you did. Money well spent.
118 BUCKS! YOU GOT TO BE JOKING ME! For that little piece of metal! No way never not on my car. I could buy a welder and a cutter for that much money.

118 BUCKS! YOU GOT TO BE JOKING ME! For that little piece of metal! No way never not on my car. I could buy a welder and a cutter for that much money.
your column shaft will pound down to proper length for manual steering. I've done it.

Yeah it all depends on what you want, I have heard of people sliding the steering shaft down and tack welding it again, then you need to get a manual coupler instead of a power steering coupler . . they are different sizes on the Box End. Here again if you can find that wire clip for holding the top on the coupler you will be glad you did.

I bought the Adapter for power column to manual box on a high end perfect body B Body. So to me the adapter was a great value. And there is some talk that I may want to put Power Steering on that car in the future, so all I have to do is remove the adapter and I am good to go.

It's all what you want, and how you want to go about it. Thanks
if you've been paying attention to this thread it's about as far away from a high-end b body build as you can get...

That's why I love an abody, we can just cut it's sleeve it and put the proper coupler on it if you wanted to...

your column shaft will pound down to proper length for manual steering. I've done it.
Even with the proper length isnt the shaft diameter different? I know we have had this conversation before but I dont remember.

Even with the proper length isnt the shaft diameter different? I know we have had this conversation before but I dont remember.
get a manual steering box with a manual steering coupler. Pound your shaft into the coupler on the manual steering box.

If I was you, I would get a '73 or newer manual steering box with the pitman arm already on it and the manual coupler.

Well then again I looked him up on Summit and Jags and they want $208:realcrazy:
Yea I agree Its stupid I wasnt gonna day nothing because the gentleman was nice enough to provide the info. But I was think damn I wish I had a lathe! I'd sell em for 50 each and make a killing.

get a manual steering box with a manual steering coupler. Pound your shaft into the coupler on the manual steering box.

If I was you, I would get a '73 or newer manual steering box with the pitman arm already on it and the manual coupler.
Ahhhhhh I gotcha I understand now.

Yea I agree Its stupid I wasnt gonna day nothing because the gentleman was nice enough to provide the info. But I was think I wish I had a lathe! I'd sell em for 50 each and make a killing.
More to them than just a lathe. I.D. is splined, and the small O.D. is splined. Hole for pin has to be lined up for the "key way" in the box also.

118.00 new from ebay, and usually 50-75 for a nice used one.....

More to them than just a lathe. I.D. is splined, and the small O.D. is splined. Hole for pin has to be lined up for the "key way" in the box also.

118.00 new from ebay, and usually 50-75 for a nice used one.....
There are ways of splineing the inside.

of course, that's how they are made.... LOL. If it was hollow, you could broach it. However, pretty tricky to do it at home for your average Joe... LOL
Well yea I guess that was a dumb comment on my end Haha.

Ok so I been looking at some manual boxes. So here is what I found. I found a couple used ones for not to much but the couple is outrageous over 100 bucks the gear itself is around 80 so I I'm in let's say 200. What's the deal with the pitman arm you was talking about? I'm not seeing a 73 and up gear I'm seeing like 64-76? Do the pitman arms have a different spine or something?

Screenshot_20190322-115729_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190322-115813_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190322-115931_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190322-120030_eBay.jpg

-
Back