My Dart Swinger Project!

-
Keep the good work going ..
And pics .. your helper Seams dedicated too.

Lookin good man! Following along.
That black is laying down shiny, what is it?
It is actually cheap rustoleum in a quart can. I'm thinning it with acetone. It's way to thick to just spray. It calls for for like 5% mix but I'm doing more like 10 or 15% it sprays pretty well. I got it for like 8 bucks at Walmart. I got it primarily for small parts but it covers so well I decided to go ahead and spray the kframe with it also. I turned out great imo.

download-1.jpg

Keep the good work going ..
And pics .. your helper Seams dedicated too.
Thank you.. yes he is he is always by my side. He makes it hard to work sometimes he is all about playing and hiding my tools lol.

It is actually cheap rustoleum in a quart can. I'm thinning it with acetone. It's way to thick to just spray. It calls for for like 5% mix but I'm doing more like 10 or 15% it sprays pretty well. I got it for like 8 bucks at Walmart. I got it primarily for small parts but it covers so well I decided to go ahead and spray the kframe with it also. I turned out great imo.

View attachment 1715237719

It may be cheap, bu tthat stuff works great.

I gotta say it.......you started out with some crap I wouldda walked away from........no offense........and you are makin somethin out of it. Nice job!

It may be cheap, bu tthat stuff works great.

I gotta say it.......you started out with some crap I wouldda walked away from........no offense........and you are makin somethin out of it. Nice job!
Thank you. Like I said before what I lack in money I make up for in hard work. I wish I could afford to buy all new parts but I cant so I salvage what I can. So far the only thing I couldn't was the master cylinder and steering gear. And obviously the "wear" parts like ball joints and tie rods and brake hoses all that stuff is new. I'm dedicated to getting this car back to where it was and even better. I'm already getting so excited to set behind the wheel again. I know that is a long ways off but that is what keeps driving me.

Thank you. Like I said before what I lack in money I make up for in hard work. I wish I could afford to buy all new parts but I cant so I salvage what I can. So far the only thing I couldn't was the master cylinder and steering gear. And obviously the "wear" parts like ball joints and tie rods and brake hoses all that stuff is new. I'm dedicated to getting this car back to where it was and even better. I'm already getting so excited to set behind the wheel again. I know that is a long ways off but that is what keeps driving me.

Me and you both. I look at some of these posts on here........see things in the background like multi million dollar homes, 100K dollar cars and builds and here I am using used pistons in things. Not holding any grudges, just sayin what I see. We just never were that fortunate. Fortunate enough, though. I am thankful for what we have. I'd probably get in trouble with more.

Me and you both. I look at some of these posts on here........see things in the background like multi million dollar homes, 100K dollar cars and builds and here I am using used pistons in things. Not holding any grudges, just sayin what I see. We just never were that fortunate. Fortunate enough, though. I am thankful for what we have. I'd probably get in trouble with more.
I agree I know what you mean I cant even afford to build a 318 the way its needs to be done. I dont even have a garage. Lol I have an old house for a shop and a carport. But it is what it is. Someday Hopefully I will be able to afford more. I have a 360 core set back waiting for the funds to do it right. Idk if you followed my engine thread or not but I pulled the heads off last week and I have some rusty bores I cant afford to get it bored over and buy matching pistons right now some I'm gonna try and clean it the best I can and hone it install new rings and hope it works. Lol but yea I know exactly what you mean..

I agree I know what you mean I cant even afford to build a 318 the way its needs to be done. I dont even have a garage. Lol I have an old house for a shop and a carport. But it is what it is. Someday Hopefully I will be able to afford more. I have a 360 core set back waiting for the funds to do it right. Idk if you followed my engine thread or not but I pulled the heads off last week and I have some rusty bores I cant afford to get it bored over and buy matching pistons right now some I'm gonna try and clean it the best I can and hone it install new rings and hope it works. Lol but yea I know exactly what you mean..

I've saved some pretty bad bores before. Get a properly sized dingleberry hone and some P'Blaster and hone the hell out of the cylinders. It might clean up. A true performance engine is generally a little looser anyway. I've run a forged piston 340 with almost .010" piston to wall clearance. LOL It ran quite good too. I used file fit rings and got the gaps right. Even still of course, it wasn't for the long term, but it did run good. And yes, it had piston slap. lol

I've saved some pretty bad bores before. Get a properly sized dingleberry hone and some P'Blaster and hone the hell out of the cylinders. It might clean up. A true performance engine is generally a little looser anyway. I've run a forged piston 340 with almost .010" piston to wall clearance. LOL It ran quite good too. I used file fit rings and got the gaps right. Even still of course, it wasn't for the long term, but it did run good. And yes, it had piston slap. lol
Cool thanks that is relieving. Do you think the dingle berry hones work better than the 3 spring hones for cleaning the bores? I bought one of the 3 arm hones I havent gotten around to trying it yet.

Here is what my block looks like.

20181008_185448.jpg

20181008_185535.jpg

20181008_185433.jpg

20181008_185343.jpg

20181009_132043.jpg

Cool thanks that is relieving. Do you think the dingle berry hones work better than the 3 spring hones for cleaning the bores? I bought one of the 3 arm hones I havent gotten around to trying it yet.

The 3 stone hones are more aggressive. If you have one, try it conservatively at first and see what you come up with. Regardless, I prefer the finish hone with the dingleberry. They are very useful.

My 400 Ford block was about like that and I was able to clean it up.

My 400 Ford block was about like that and I was able to clean it up.
Good thanks I am gonna get started on it on next week. I'm as far as I can go without paint on the suspension. So it's time to focus on the engine. The fun part is about to begin!! Lol

Dang it I went to bed to early. Gotta go to work. Missed some good stuff. Here's what I'm working with. Gonna try and save it with a dingle ball also:
Hope I'm not jackin' your thread. Maybe we can help each other along the super budget engine overhaul road with the other guys help that's been there. Let's start a "can this junk run again" thread, haha.
20180630_155250.jpg
20180630_155250.jpg

There are some well documented low buck engine builds already here I visit frequently, also.

Last edited:
No your not high jacking at all I like the support! It's nice to see I'm not the one putting together a junk budget build lol sorry it took me so long to respond I just saw your post!

Got a little more work done this evening I got the engine on the stand and finished disassembling it. Everything is off except the rotating assembly!

20181104_170715.jpg

20181104_170709.jpg

20181104_170657.jpg

20181104_170651.jpg

20181104_170727.jpg

20181104_170723.jpg

No your not high jacking at all I like the support! It's nice to see I'm not the one putting together a junk budget build lol sorry it took me so long to respond I just saw your post!
No worries pal. Last low budget build I did was in 1987. It was a 302 for a Ford pick up I had to have to get me home from the Navy. And that's about how long it lasted. This time it's just for the fun of it, and to show junior how to do it.

Well I got the engine striped the rest of the way down. Ready for cleaning. It's good thing I decided to go ahead and tear it all the way down I had some pretty bad rod bearings so they are gonna have to be replaced. the crank bearings look good but I'm gonna go ahead and replace them while I'm here no point not to now! Here are some pics

20181106_092006.jpg

20181106_091947.jpg

20181106_091929.jpg

20181106_091922.jpg

20181106_092006.jpg

20181106_092000.jpg

20181106_090010.jpg

20181106_091955.jpg

Looking like good progress. Getting into the stuff I'm a little leary of. I haven't rebuilt much bigger than a honda-twin motorcycle engine in quite awhile. The last and only time I rebuilt a v8 was 1987. I t was a chevy 350 in vo-tech. I'm sure I can do it if I have to but I hope I don't have to for awhile.

I havent ever been this deep into one I have rebuilt a couple but it was 15 years ago and it was only upper end stuff like new headgaskets new intake gaskets cam swaps stuff like that. This is the first time iv ever opened up the bottom end on one. It was a little overwhelming at first but it seems pretty straight forward.

One thing I noticed I thought was pretty interesting is apparently v8 and v6 share main caps. Mine are labeled the first one says v8 1 , the next is v8 2 v6 1, v8 3 v6 2 so on! I thought that was cool I knew the v6 was nothing more than a 318 with 2 cylinders chopped off but I never knew they literally share the same parts.

-
Back