My first 1975 Dodge Dart 4 door

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
I have not had a build thread so I thought I would start one to help me remember what I was doing.
Car started life like this:
1975 4 Door Special Order
318 w/ 2 barrel
904 Auto
8.25 Rear w/ 2.45:1 open
Power Brakes
A/C
Am Radio
White with Black interior.

Here is what it is now:
1975 318 block that was zero decked. Bored +.030 with KB107's
1985 360 heads that were shaved .010 to clean them up.
Eddy A/G with Eddy 1405
Hooker 1-5/8 Comp headers
8.25 Rear w/3.55:1 SG

I purchased my Dart from a man in Kennewick, Washington.
Story was his Grandparents had bought the car from the City of Kennewick in 1979. His Grandma refused to drive it because it was to big and powerful. It sat mostly undriven and was handed down to the Fathers family. Once again, his wife did not drive it much due to the size and V-8 and cost of gas. It was given to the brother of the man I got it from when he hit high school and he drove it some but still not much with gas prices what they were. When it finally got to the man I bought it from, it had 87,542 miles on it and he drove it until it hit 89,000 and decided to tear it down and do something with the anemic 318 smog era motor. After he did the work, he was married with a child on the way and got a 4 banger for his commuter. The Dart sat for 3 years with little use until I bought it for $2000 in May 2015. Started right up and I drove it home the 90 +/- miles without issue.
I have been tinkering with it and buying parts but have not put any real time into it other than to drive it around and fix the little things.
Below are some pics and I will post more as I go.
The tire well of the truck is the only rust on it and I have just ordered the replacement pan from Summit. Should be here Monday.
I have an AFR gauge that I installed but currently I can not get it working when the car is running. Works fine with brake cleaner test on the bench but not with engine on. Flashes very sporadic information. My theory is because I have the Tach grounded to same point and they share the same hole in the fire wall.

0514152047a.jpg

0728152048.jpg

IMG_0255.JPG

0427151950d.jpg

Last edited:
A pic from last night when I was working on sound/heat barrier in the back seat.
Not complete but started at least. Should be done tonight after work.

IMG_0274.JPG

Good to see another late A in good shape. These threads are a good way to document what you do, and share what you know/learn. And I definitely sympathize with your tag line "wish I had more time."

Started installing headlight relays yesterday. After buying the Halogens, I wanted to get the load off the original wiring.
The conversion was made to plug an existing headlight connector in and the relays would take over from there. I didn't like that so I cut and soldered where needed.
I am using the vw power distribution block as well. Got that idea from a member here. GREAT idea btw.

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Ordered up a few things. Needed an overflow tank for the radiator and decided to put in an oil catch can. They should be here this week. Also ordered the Dorman replacement panel for the bottom of my spare tire well. Mine has a hole or two and it concerned me with the fuel tank strap mounting down there. Will post pics when they show up.
I did find a great set of arm rests from Whitepunkonnitro. Below is a pic of the set I picked up. Thanks to him for helping me keep my Dart on the road and under budget.

View attachment 1715025472

IMG_0279.JPG

Last edited:
Love it I have a 74 se, had a slant now a 440, they definitely have their own quirks.

Slow night;
Finished the wiring on my headlight conversion. I used the power distribution block from an '03 VW bug. Got that idea from a member here. GREAT idea btw. I also replaced a marker light socket that I found coming apart during the headlight re-wire.
Still waiting on my panel for the trunk to be delivered, should be here today when I get home.

images.jpg

Great to see someone fixing up and loving the later 4 doors!
I have a soft spot for them, good luck with the build.
On a side note, the stock 318 had too much power for them?
Sheeesh..........
They should drive it now, i love your combination!

Headlights are all done except for final mounting. They look great! Such an improvement.
Also received my trunk patch panel from Summit. Packed well and in perfect shape! Will start that this weekend.

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

Looks good. Have you determined how water got into the trunk to rust it out?
Yes. It was the trunk seal. I have a new one but it is not installed yet. Good news is the car is in my garage and I live in a desert. Previous owner had the car outside for the last 10 years. No rust anywhere but this spot in the trunk. Didn't help that his trunk "liner" was a carpet and none of the drain plugs had been pulled.
:BangHead:

Progress!

Then there is this thing. Mount for spare tire tie down and the anchor point for the fuel tank straps.
IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

I will get the hole and the mount cleaned up tomorrow so I can start getting things back together.

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

Last edited:
So here is the panel done. Seam sealed and drying. Only thing left is to under coat the bottom.
Also, headlights are all done!

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

Last edited:
I like the postal carrier a lot! These were waiting for me when I got home!
Thanks Joel!!!

IMG_0324.JPG

Fit the trunk pan complete! I think it looks great for a first timer anyway.
Also been working on the under dash / engine bay wiring. My afr works like a champ when bench tested but with car running is all over the place. I think I have traced the problem to its harness and the tach signal lead using the same firewall pass through. Been working on a re-route of the afr harness. Any thoughts?

IMG_0328.JPG

New upholstery finally came in. I love it!
Seat covers unlimited.com really came through. Love the 3 dimensional finish with the vertical stitching!!

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

Finished off the trunk last night with some carpet. It will do nicely in the back?
Then replaced the 'Holley' air cleaner with an Eddy. Not sure why the Holley was there. There is not Holley on this motor?
Then got to working on my AFR again.
Re-routed wires away from the Tach signal and still erratic. Tech support is telling me my power is a little too dirty for it and I will need to install a capacitor parallel with the gauge ground to hot. So I ordered up a couple. Be here in a few days and I will try again!

IMG_0343.JPG

Outta the garage and washed up. Got the the dog dishes put on also! And the dash is back together.
Bad news is I received the capacitor for the AFR and it still doesn't work. :wtf::BangHead:
Good news is took her for a ride bout 5 miles and drove like a 318 + .030 with an Eddy 1406, RPM A/G, and an XE268!

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

So haven't worked on it this week but did gets some parts.
The AFR did not work out so i returned it and bought the AEM X series. I will try to get it installed this weekend. Also received the valve covers I bought from this site. Ordered the wheel spacers, spark plug boots, LEDS for the entire exterior, and new plug wire separators.

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

-
Back