My first feeble attempt at weathering armor

-

Avispa

Reaction score
1665678451696.jpeg

1665678370784.jpeg

1665678252471.jpeg

It does look like you’ve got the dry brushing technique down pretty well, but to know whether or not your efforts here were a success I’d need to know what look you were going for. I’ve seen older obsolete tanks sitting on the edge of a range that had been forgotten about for decades that looked a bit like that. But a lot of modelers seem to forget that by the time WWII ended none of the allied tanks used in the conflict were more than a few years old. In the case of the Pershing tank they were about a year or less and had only been in theater for a few months by wars end. With the exception of some possible battle damage a Pershing would’ve been in near new condition. One thing you might want to try after applying the base color to a military vehicle is to take some of the paint you used as your base and mix it with a small amount of white to lighten it up a bit, then dry brush that lightly over high points. It’s a nice looking effect when done well. As for weathering, it’s very easy to get carried away and go too far. A lighter approach is usually going to produce better results.

Thanks for the info. I was just messing around trying to do just an old weather beaten tank, i guess thing will be my "mule" , i snapped the tracks trying to stretch them over the wheels, maybe i should have tried to soak the on hot water first.

Thanks for the info. I was just messing around trying to do just an old weather beaten tank, i guess thing will be my "mule" , i snapped the tracks trying to stretch them over the wheels, maybe i should have tried to soak the on hot water first.
Sorry to hear about the track issue. Getting them on without breaking something, like drive sprockets, idler wheels or even the track can be tricky, especially if the tracks fit snugly. One thing you might look into is aftermarket individual link tracks. They're a pain in the pants to assemble, but a good set can make a huge difference in the appearance of your finished kit.

-
Back