My first zero option car! I think

-

hosehead

Reaction score
Got this little 66 dart from a friend recently. Nearly free! I have to wait for our current arctic blast to be done before I can go pick it up but I have all the paperwork, etc and took some pics. I started to look at the fender tag and noticed that it has no options. lol.
170 slant, three on the tree, radio delete car. I'm gonna replace the rusty floors soon and hopefully the 170 will be good and it will be a summer driver.
So my question to you guys is: How gutless is the 170 slant? I am glad its a manual so that should help, but I thought I'd ask what to expect in comparison to the 225. Thanks all. Enjoy the pics of my new pile of junk!

D9B09964-7B35-438C-B91F-972C95404778_1_201_a.jpeg

BDEC3584-4605-4305-B64A-BFAF3E1358E5.jpeg

Pretty much a stripper there. Have fun with that.

Got this little 66 dart from a friend recently. Nearly free! I have to wait for our current arctic blast to be done before I can go pick it up but I have all the paperwork, etc and took some pics. I started to look at the fender tag and noticed that it has no options. lol.
170 slant, three on the tree, radio delete car. I'm gonna replace the rusty floors soon and hopefully the 170 will be good and it will be a summer driver.
So my question to you guys is: How gutless is the 170 slant? I am glad its a manual so that should help, but I thought I'd ask what to expect in comparison to the 225. Thanks all. Enjoy the pics of my new pile of junk!

View attachment 1715686864

View attachment 1715686865

i had a 170 in a 64 dart. Single barrel, 1.25” exhaust. I could get up to 65-70mph and stay there. 70+ it could do but it wasn’t it’s happiest.

if you’re trying to race it, in factory form it’s just not built for it, but it’s a tidy engine when adjusted properly and it’ll perform well. I got good mileage for a daily driver.

A buddy of mine bought a 66 Dart just for the front end....to put it on a Valiant. The Valiant front end went back on the Dart and will be for sale.
IMG_5327.JPG

This makes 2 '66 Darts for you now?

VERY...:rolleyes:..

For floorpans, I’m cutting mine out soon. Just ordered the auto body specialties floor pan set for the 63-66 a-bodies. I’ll let you know how they go. Only $470 or so for a set of two fronts and two rears. And they make the trunk pan

Gorgeous. Love the patina on it. Plus two doors! That's a nice find.

Cheers,

Jack

i had a 170 in a 64 dart. Single barrel, 1.25” exhaust. I could get up to 65-70mph and stay there. 70+ it could do but it wasn’t it’s happiest.

if you’re trying to race it, in factory form it’s just not built for it, but it’s a tidy engine when adjusted properly and it’ll perform well. I got good mileage for a daily driver.

I definitely won't be racing. lol. I have one for that. I do want a daily that is bullet proof and gets decent mileage. Hopefully, it all comes back to life. Been sitting for years but its free and my buddy's son parked it there several years ago.
ran when parked. lol.

For floorpans, I’m cutting mine out soon. Just ordered the auto body specialties floor pan set for the 63-66 a-bodies. I’ll let you know how they go. Only $470 or so for a set of two fronts and two rears. And they make the trunk pan
I have a full floor pan from a member here coming to me from California. I am ready to get started!!

I drove a '67 four door valiant with a 170 for awhile. It drove well enough

Does it have a heater?

My '65 Signet convertible is pretty bare bones also: has heater/defroster (E-5) and seat belts (X-8) besides the standard Signet stuff: 273 auto, buckets, console. No radio, no power steering, no power brakes, etc.

Signet Fender Tag.JPG

Last edited:
we put a 225 in a 170 powered 68 Valiant IIRC to give it a little more pep. When it was still a dog we found a 2.45 Cordoba rear end in it! Man that thing was a slug until it got going, then it was tolerable as long as you stayed on Kansas highways.......With an auto, that 170 could barely make it up a steep driveway.

That has to be the most bare bone Mopar one could get in '66? Nowhere to go but up!

I always wanted to do a 4.3/5 speed swap in a Chevette. I dated a girl in school that had a Chevette "Scooter". GAWD that thing was a total dawg, but I could see the potential.

A guy here had a chevette w/ a 454 in it , was a fast , prostock type car , ended up being stolen. There was a news clip of him about a yr ago , he got what was left of it back ------just sayin .

My '64 Dart 170 was just like that '66. No options. I put in a 3.55 rear gear and an overdrive 4spd behind the stock 170. Nothing but a carb off a 225, and a 2" pipe with a thrush muffler. While it was by no means fast, it was fun to drive. The best part is you could drive it flat out 100% of the time. With the overdrive, you could get on the interstate and hold it flat on the floor as long as you want. It would never go over 80mph.

We put it on a dyno once for kicks, and it made a legitimate 56whp and 90ftlbs. We then stuck an electric leaf blower down the throat of the carb and made nearly 61whp!!!

I've still got that engine in my shed. Hell, it powered my brothers '65 Coronet sedan for a couple of years. Never had one problem out of it!

Honestly, I love that little 170! I should build it up and put it in the lightest body I can find!

Last edited:
I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in power between the 170 and 225.Owned many over the years. On paper there is a difference but doubtful in real life.

Same potential HP due to same head. torque curve moves left when CID goes up. One must ask why they ever put money to field the 198. There was even a larger CID planned I think it was around 257?

I agree about the 198.I can see going from a 170 to 225 but a 198 ?

-
Back