My latest fishing adventure/misadventure

-

Captain Canuck

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from a 2 week holiday. We rented a lovely cabin on an Island on Lake Muskosung, which is about 45 min. north west of North Bay, Ontario. This is our 6th year staying there. It is truly a beautiful place!

What I love most about staying there, is the awesome fishing. Here is some pics of a couple nice Bass that I caught. The Largemouth was 4 lbs. 4oz. and the Smallmouth was 4 lbs. 3 oz.

Attachments

• DSCF1529 (Copy).JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF1560 (Copy).JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 216
Now.... for the misadventure part of the trip....

While out fishing one morning, I caught a small Bass on a lure called a Hula Popper. I reeled the fish up to the boat and picked it up out of the water. As I was holding the fish, he shook its head and shook the lure out of its mouth and into my thumb. OUCH!!

As you can see by the pics, the hook went in pretty deep, so I knew I couldn't take it out myself. So off to the hospital we go.

They froze my thumb, cut the hook off the lure, then pushed the hook through my skin and pulled it out where the point of the hook popped out of my thumb.

Attachments

• DSCF1543 (Copy).JPG
    73 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF1549 (Copy).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 215
Dang Captian :blob: Those are some nice size fish, Fillet them ?
Wow! 2 weeks away sound great :D How was it a misadventure :glasses7:
Did you use artificial bait or did you cheat :D

The next day, we decided to drive into Quebec, which was only an hour and a half from where we were staying. The Scenery was beautiful, and they also have really cheap beer!

Attachments

• DSCF1541 (Copy).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCF1540 (Copy).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 218
Dang!! I did not wait long enough :( Top water fishing is allot of fun, but I can see you are hooked on them too :D :toothy10: sorry I could not help myself :colors: I have had a couple misadventure in
my time but that looks like it is going to hurt for a while, right next to your nail :sad1:

It wasn't long before I was back on the water fishing again! Here are a few more shots of some other nice fish that I caught.

The first is one of many Bass that I caught right off the end of our dock.

Second is a nice 18 inch Walleye

Third is a small Muskie I caught on the last day of the trip!

Attachments

• DSCF1570 (Copy).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF1559 (Copy).JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF1550 (Copy).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 200
This is a shot of a momma duck and her babies that were hanging around our dock.

Attachments

• DSCF1555 (Copy).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 214
This is a bit of revenge that I got on the Bass! They taste really good when deep fried in batter!

Here's a pic of my dinner that night!

We had an amazing trip! I can't wait to do it all again next year!! (minus the hospital visit!).... Lol

Attachments

• DSCF1535 (Copy).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF1567 (Copy).JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 193
Now.... for the misadventure part of the trip....

While out fishing one morning, I caught a small Bass on a lure called a Hula Popper. I reeled the fish up to the boat and picked it up out of the water. As I was holding the fish, he shook its head and shook the lure out of its mouth and into my thumb. OUCH!!

As you can see by the pics, the hook went in pretty deep, so I knew I couldn't take it out myself. So off to the hospital we go.

They froze my thumb, cut the hook off the lure, then pushed the hook through my skin and pulled it out where the point of the hook popped out of my thumb.

Hey! You caught 2 bass and a canuck! Lol

Nice fish Andy!! Ya got a nice mix there, nuthing better than bass, walleye and a muskie!! Coulda been worse the Muskie coulda got your thumb!! Glad ya made out ok, got revenge and enjoyed the cheap Blue!! Gotta love Quebec prices on the good beer! Cheers!

Nice fish Cap'n! Dang that hook looks like it hurt like a @#%*er! That fish dinner looks awesome! Any big bluegills in that area?

ouch xs1000 with that hook .....i guess now we can call you Mr. Tom Thumb swallowed by a big fish. LOL

really though ...sorry that happened but i guess it could have been worse and at least you caught some very nice fish

Some of the best fishing I have ever seen was at a lake in Ontario, near Haliburton. My Boy Scout troop spent two weeks there back in '88, and we had ourselves one helluva fish fry! Them smallmouth bass REALLY grow big up there!

4lb smallie!! That must have been a nice fight! Did he come out of the water at all? Nothin quite like topwater fishin, watching the strike is so cool

I wounder what you would have caught if you had on your lucky Mopar shirt instead of >.
LOL!!

Kenny

4lb smallie!! That must have been a nice fight! Did he come out of the water at all? Nothin quite like topwater fishin, watching the strike is so cool
Yes, he jumped out of the water twice trying to spit the hook. Smallmouth are alot of fun to catch, because the always give you one heck of a fight!

I caught the big one right off the end of our dock!

I wounder what you would have caught if you had on your lucky Mopar shirt instead of >.
LOL!!

Kenny

LOL.... I knew someone would notice the shirt. I won it at a Canadian Tire car show last fall.

Next year I will bring my Mopar shirt and hopefully catch a nice fish instead of catching myself.

Seeing a thread like this, I know....I'm waist-deep in the rat race! :( Really cool stuff, CC!

I grew up in North Bay, great fishing all over that area. Use to fish right off of the government dock in town. It wasn't unusual to be reeling in a small perch and have a pike take right at the dock. We used to call(Walleye), Pickerel back in those days, great eating. If you caught any ling(cod), you could sell them to the chinese restaurants down town on the way home. The only thing I don't miss are the skidders,black fly's,horse fly's,shad fly's.....

Andy,glad you had a great time,and enjoyed the fishing.The shirt is a bit of a concern,a true mopar guy with a corvette shirt on.But all is not lost,you did managed to set a world record fishing buy catching a 150lbs small mouth ***,and you can have the pictures mounted too,mrmopartech

Nice fish! I definitely feel your pain on the hook in the thumb. I had a pike do the same thing to me 2 years ago on our Canadian fishing trip.

-
Back