My Leaning Tower

-

petty437

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the 225 from my 63 Dart. 64000 miles & everything looked great inside so just getting a refresh & reseal. Should have the Dart back from paint by the end of the month so I can get it back together hit the car cruises & shows here in NE Ohio. WOOHOO!!!

Dart motor.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for ya. Is it the car in your avatar? OMT? Old Man Tan.

Me, 64 black val convertible.

That looks great! What color is that you painted engine? Can you post some pictures of the car? I love the 63.

That looks great! What color is that you painted engine? Can you post some pictures of the car? I love the 63.
That is Chrysler Red. I get the rattle cans at Summit. I'll post some before & after pics soon.

Seems to have a lot of orange in it. Regardless, I like it!

Rustoleom regal red is a dead match to the oem red. If you wanna be one of those guys.

I like how my Rustoleum Safety Red turned out. They'll see me comin. lol
I agree. I did find some engine paint once that was Chrysler red I forget the brand and it was RED like original. But time I get it a little dusty, scratched, some oil, bird poop, what the heck!

Difference between industrial red which is the valve cover, and the original red which is a dead match to regal red intake and rest of the block color

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

It's not as orange as it looks in the pic.

I suspected that. Fluorescent lights do all kinds of funky things to color. Especially in pictures. Where's the pics of the car, dangit? lol

It's not as orange as it looks in the pic.
Seems to be lots of discussions on these forums about what is the right Chrysler Red.
Tried all the other aerosol can colors and they are way off from what the Mopar Red should be.

Here is my best Factory Red Match that is a perfect match to 1969 Red 318 engine made by PPG:

It is a Single Stage Acrylic Enamel that uses the DXR-80 Hardener to make it more chemical resistant than the aerosol paints, plus a really nice final finish.

Here is the Code:
PPG Delstar Acryilc Enamel
DAR 2296 H Bright Red

20180615_121413.jpg

20190517_123513.jpg

Delstar in the quart can DAR 2296 H Bright Red was the best match (IMO) . . .
Things can appear more orange than they really are with photography and over the internet.

20190504_095631.jpg

Here is the finished painted engine with the Bright Red Acrylic Enamel, showing the red a little better.

Last edited:
Seems to be lots of discussions on these forums about what is the right Chrysler Red.
Tried all the other aerosol can colors and they are way off from what the Mopar Red should be.

Here is my best Factory Red Match that is a perfect match to 1969 Red 318 engine made by PPG:

It is a Single Stage Acrylic Enamel that uses the DXR-80 Hardener to make it more chemical resistant than the aerosol paints, plus a really nice final finish.

Here is the Code:
DAR 2296 H Bright Red

View attachment 1715336491

View attachment 1715336493

Things can appear more orange than they really are with photography and over the internet.

View attachment 1715336505

Here is the finished painted engine with the Bright Red Acrylic Enamel, showing the red a little better.

Uhhhhh........that air cleaner. Are you still using it?

The red used on V8s was in many cases not the same as the red used on Slant-6s, which is one reason why you can go through a whole bunch of brands of "Chrysler Red" engine paint and not get a satisfactory match. The other reason is that the factory paint fades, colour-shifts, and darkens with age, thermal cycling, and exposure to oil, gasoline, and other underhood chemicals.

See here.

Exactly, when I purchased the original DC eng paint bombs around '89-'90, I sprayed My 383 w/the turquoise, it looked bright blue!!! I said WTF??!! But about 4-5 months of heat cycling, (and it got "cycled" hard!! LOL!!), it was nearly perfect...........

Here is the Code:
DAR 2296 H Bright Red

View attachment 1715336491

View attachment 1715336493

View attachment 1715336505

That looks great! I am not a painter my any means & don't even own a spray gun! LOL. That's why I just used the Dupli-Color from Summit Racing. I'm not trying to recreate the factory look, just make it look good for the occasional local cruise or car show.

325HP with the pistons that far in the hole at TDC? What all has been done to the head?

I have seen a lot of yellow painted slants in mid 60s dogde pickups. Coincidental???

I've seen a couple of yeller ones in industrial applications. Saw one in a forklift that was yeller and another yeller one mounted to an irrigation pump. I've seen a pink one. But it had been in the sun a long time.

I have seen a lot of yellow painted slants in mid 60s dogde pickups. Coincidental???
Nope, they were painted yellow in truck/industrial applications in the '60's, not a bad look for the slanty either!

-
Back