My #!!#@#*%# Nephew!

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I've got a Nephew who's about 20 & kind of a screwup at times. Anyway, he's living on his own & trying to get by & he was driving a POS old T-bird with a shattered windshield that was quickly falling apart out from under him. Quite a while back I bought a 1986 AMC Eagle rust bucket on Ebay. I bought it because my daily driver is almost it's twin, it only had about 95,000 miles on it, ran great & had a nice leather interior. I figured buy it cheap, swap in seats from one of my parts cars, keep the leather seats for my car & sell the thing to break even.

Of course it needed more work done to it than I planned, but that's the way it goes. So..... I replaced a broken leaf spring, front to rear brake line, a brake drum & some bolts on the alternator bracket with stuff from a parts car. Meanwhile, my Mom calls me & talks me into selling it to my nephew, because he really needs a better car. I figured, fine, he's had one of these cars before so he knows how to work on it. It has the same nearly indestructible motor they used almost forever in Jeeps, and it's a tank so it should hold up for a while. Plus, the neighbors will be glad to see it out of my driveway. I loaded up the kids the weekend before Thanksgiving & we towed it 210 miles to my nephew. He gave me $100 of the $350 I wanted for the car with the promise to pay the rest over a bit of time, which was OK with me.

Turns out he had a couple of problems with the car. He went to replace the plugs & 4 of them actually broke off in the head. He calls me about it & we talk. He's mechanically inclined so he goes & buys an easy-out & takes care of it. A week or so later he calls & says there might be a rust hole in the top of the tank, then he decides it's just the rubber hose on the tank. BUT!!!!!!

The next thing I know he's calling me & telling me that he had changed the oil & the plug had some stripped threads & wouldn't stay tight so he had a slow oil leak, but that he'd been keeping an eye on it, & he kept adding oil, & just the other day he'd put 3 quarts in it, & he was driving along at about 40 mph, & he wasn't hot rodding it or anything & IT THREW THE NUMBER ONE ROD THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE FREAKING BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!! :angry5: He barely had the car two months!

I know I'm never gonna see the rest of the money for the car, so now I've got to make a 420 mile round trip to drag it home or just cut my losses. I'd probably leave it there but, like I said, it's a twin to my daily driver so I could use it for parts, or I could swap in a motor from a parts car I have. It's just so damned aggravating!!!!!!!!!! :cussing: :banghead:

Sorry for the rant guys. I just had to vent. NEVER SELL A CAR TO A RELATIVE!

I feel you man, that's why I moved 2000 miles away from anyone I'm related too.

Best of luck with the car quandary.

My rule has always been never to sell a car to a friend or relitive.

I feel for ya dartcuda.
I have sold two cars to the same cousin, and he lives 40 miles away.
A 72 plymouth satellite 4door for his young wife 318 car, I picked it up at
a rummage sale for 500 dollars knowing his wife needed a car to pick the kids up and drive to work. that has been 10 years ago wow time flies by.
he drove it for two years and had no problem with it at all.
A tree fell on it and his home owners gave him 750 back for it.
He told me what happened to the car and for me to keep an eye out for a car
again, He lives in a little town, Pop 187, Next to black river.
Looked in the car add's here in town, Pop 55.000.
This is the truth, and I could not believe it myself, Yep an old man and lady had a 73 green on green 4 door Satellite with a trailer hitch.
I talked them down to 750 from 900 dollar for this clean old car.
know his oldest daughter is driving it to work today.
You should have seen his face when he seen the hitch on it.{ big river fisherman and he is the one that shot that big cat I have here.
Here is a car That I painted for him, I was very proud of my decision to put the dark color on the top. He still drives both of these car's and I found the merc for him. I guess I have been luck.:toothy10:

65 new wheel s.jpg

Most people that age will screw up. Even us old ones do.

Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgment.

My wife “loaned” a fair amount of money to a lady who was loosing their house across the street. (Foreclosure)
Her and the kids needed to rent a house but she didn’t even have the first month’s rent and a deposit. Her husband didn’t seem to ever work and she was going to separate from him. (The reason they were losing the house.) She is in medical assistant school so she can get a job.
I told her she was a worthy cause but not a good risk.
Some times one needs to look at things like that. Sounds like your nephew might just need help. Perhaps you knew that going in?

I've sold a car to a friend. (once) But but not doing so is a good rule. Just tell them what a piece of sh1t it is. Then it's on them.

I've had great luck buying and selling cars/trucks with my friends. Maybe I'm lucky that I have a good group of friends. Family is another matter. My wife and I wanted to buy her grandpa's Chrysler (whatever that thing was called, it was a 96). Anyway, it was a nice car, you know, a garage kept old persons car that had low miles and hadn't been dragged along the garage door opening yet. Well, we went and drove it and told him we wanted to buy it. He said OK. We needed a week to get some money out of the bank as he wanted $5 or $6 k for the car, which was a good price. I guess he was worried about getting rid of it fast for some reason ($$). He sold it to his son, my wife's uncle, out from under us. This is the guy that has 30k in his checking account at all times. I'm sure he was pressured by his son to sell the car to him, but we got the lame excuse. At the time my wife was driving a 95 Neon that was always breaking down and the air didn't work. A year or two later he sold his Toiletta truck to my wife's brother for $1 and continued to insure it for months for him because he "didn't have the money". The week he bought it he put a $350 stereo in the damn thing. Her dad stiffed me $500 on a Road Runner I sold him once too. No big deal 'cause I've used him for his carpentry skill more than enough to make that up.
My cousin, now going back over 15 years, had a 72 Charger he needed to sell. I talked it over with him and he told me a price. After some thought I told him I wasn't in need of another car (I already had a 72 and a 74 Charger). He lived with my grandparents and they were returning from Florida after spending the winter there. Long story short, I came home from work one night and popped the garage door open. There sat the Charger with the title on the dash. OK, not what I expected, but I fixed a couple minor problems with the car and sold it, then gave him the $$ we had previously agreed upon. He was mad at me for not giving him all the money.

My father always used to just GIVE me his old cars, and would hound me to come and get them. No problems there.

Most people that age will screw up. Even us old ones do.

Sounds like your nephew might just need help. Perhaps you knew that going in?

Oh, I knew it going in. He's a very intelligent kid, he just won't apply himself. He dropped out of tech school because he was too lazy to get out of bed & go to class. Now the bill collectors are trying to find him to collect on his student loans. He gave me as a referrence, so guess who keeps getting the calls? This is the 4th car he's managed to trash, including one he rolled on it's top. But they usually lasted longer than this. I've also helped him a lot in keeping his other cars going, including R&Ring an engine, & it's almost always involved a a trip of over 200 miles one way. I've also forgiven a lot. Like the money & time I'm out on this deal. I also strongly suspect he's responsible for the disappearance from my mom's basement of a brand new small block six pack manifold & carbs. Either him or one of his low-life friends. I think the whole family is about done with him. Time will tell. :angry7:

Dang, a '65 Comet. My first new car was a '65 Comet, 289, 4bbl, 3 on a tree. There wasn't a 327/250 out there that could beat me. And I could sometimes take a 327/300 if it ran bad. What a fun car. Ah, memories.

Sold a car to my brother and his new bride to help them out.

Told them to take it easy on hills because the trans slips and needs replaced soon and is good for short trips only.

He takes it into the city for a tour and the trans dies on the way home up a big hill.

He calls me furious that I sold him a piece of junk and it's my fault.

Go figure.

Dang, a '65 Comet. My first new car was a '65 Comet, 289, 4bbl, 3 on a tree. There wasn't a 327/250 out there that could beat me. And I could sometimes take a 327/300 if it ran bad. What a fun car. Ah, memories.

Exactly what is a 327/250 and 327/300 ????

My wife always says "No good deed goes unpunished"...seems she is right more often than not!

-
Back