My New Build...Project "2nd Best"!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here! Just thought I would introduce you to my newest endeavor, what I am calling project "2nd Best"!! Why 2nd best?? Well, the answer is quite simple! I have been selling early Barracuda parts for quite some time now, and although selling quality parts to those in need helps others projects along and gives me my play money, it doesn't really clear the shelves of parts that are still good, but not what I would consider sale quality items! So, what to do?? Well, in my infinite wisdom I came up with this idea to build a cool little driver using all of the extra parts I have that are good but not good enough to sell outright, my 2nd best parts! So, here's what I've got in mind.....

The platform for this build is a 66 Cuda that I got in a 2 car deal with a Formula S parts car! I've finished parting out the S car, made my money back on the deal and saved a bunch of parts to use for this build, so I'm starting at ground zero for this idea!The platform car is a V8 car with auto, 7 1/4", manual brakes and steering, and a bucket seat column shift interior!! There is no motor or trans at this point but I have those to put in! My goal is to have no out of pocket money into this build, if the car needs it and I have it, it's going on! If I do have to buy something, I'll need to sell a couple items to fund that purchase! I think I have almost if not everything already, just fluids and such to buy, but you know how these things go!!

There will be no body work involved here, the idea is to get a nice little car together that scoots around town and is ready for someone to grab a nice little project for a good price and take it where they want it to be! The body is decent but it's had some work done to it, there is a small hole in the passenger floor that needs patched, but all in all it is a pretty solid platform!!

Sooo, here goes, I introduce you to "Project 2nd Best"!! I'll keep the thread going as things get done, it's gonna be a super low buck build but should be a fun runner when finished!! Happy motoring all, cosgig out!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 649
What a great way to have an affordable driver and use stuff you already have.
But I'm afraid this is going to be better than most of my cars even with " second best" parts on it .

This is a great idea! Following along.

So, I got a few updates here as I started on my way down the road to insanity!! First of all, after 3 weeks of running and wrangling, calling and driving, I finally got the first piece of the puzzle for this car...the title!!! It was no small task, had to have the cops come over and check it out, get an appraisal, jump through a few dozen hoops, but it is finally a done deal!!! So, now I can get to work knowing its safely in my name!!! First job.....a good demouseing!!!...

The headliner was hanging, it smelled like the mousy Hilton in there, and most of the interior was already out or missing!! Time to tear down the headliner!! I pulled all of the interior trim panels, the package shelf, and anywhere else that there may be a mouse house!! Found a few, relocated them to the trash can with what was left of the headliner!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 516
Next, after what was the biggest cloud of powdered mouse house ever seen in these parts, got the headliner down, swept up and in the trash!! As far as the floors and interior stuff goes, this car is in pretty good shape! There is one small spot in the passenger floor to fix, but all in all is pretty solid!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 497
The car was born brown, with what appears to be a brown interior with white seats, door panels, headliner and visors!! Someone had gone through and painted the brown appointments in the interior black, doing a crappy job, so I'm changing!! In the interest of the spirit of the title, I'm changing out the entire interior to Citreon Green!! Why??? Well, even though the green buckets are better than the white ones the car came with, the white door panels, visors, and armrests are pretty nice, so I'm saving them to sell! Plus, the green will match better with the grey outside color, and I have every piece needed in Citreon, whereas most of the interior pieces to match the white were missing! I'll be able to just paint the upper door jambs and the center of the rear window area, and paint all of the metal interior trim out of the car and have a pretty decent interior! The Citreon interior came from the Formula S car, so it's all a freebie!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 469
Got the ball rolling! Great catch on the car!

Muscle car restoration is a disease,Cosgig(lol...) There's no known cure,other than losing interest.

So, I'll update the progress a little here! I spent some time with the little 66 over the past couple weeks! I finished cleaning up the entire interior, got the wide steelies off and put the tires on some freshly painted rims, although I thought painting them a dark gloss grey would math well with the grey exterior color, they didn't darken up like I thought, so I'm going to pull them and repaint them black!

Next up is to paint the interior metal pieces to match the Citreon Green color of the door panels and seats, and get working on putting the drivetrain together! Also did a little trim updating and plan to do a little more!

I'm also going to take out the dash new school style and leave the windshield in and cut the screws out from under the dash and rescrew it back in from under there too! I heard of this being an easier way to deal with a dash change, and it will allow me to build up the dash on the bench! The dash frame in it now is rusted on the bottom and I have a clean new housing to put back in!

That's all for now, here's a pic of the steelies and dog dish in grey, not sure but I think black would be better!! Merry Christmas all, and Party On!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 392
So, I did a little work on the little grey car today, here's the results!!!...

Didn't like the grey colored wheels, so I bit the bullet and repainted them black, it makes it look a little more cohesive, and added a black Mopar license plate to the front to pick up the black a little more!

Started assembling the interior, just couldn't wait on the Citreon paint, Sir Mix-a-Lot down at the paint shop is off till Monday, and the paint is $43 a pint mixed into an aerosol sprayer! I need to at least do the upper door jambs, and would like to repaint all the interior metal to match, but for now I just assembled the door with the upper still painted black! If need be I'll just leave it black, and it really doesn't look that bad!!

Started tearing into the engine I was going to use for this car, not good news!! The cam is toast, it locks up between the 4-3 intake cycle, even with the valve train off!! Not sure what's going on there, but if I have to tear it down to find out, I'll probably just use a different motor!

So, tomorrow is another day, looking to get the rear panels and seat in, painted or not, and get some of these parts out of my way and in place where they belong!! Happy Moparing all!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 318
that looks so awesome with the front end higher than the rear ...I assume there is no engine in it but that stance with the engine in would be so 60s Super stock look.

I tried to get my 68 dart like that and I cranked the torsion bars up 10 turns a side. Looks more super stocky but the ride is a bit quirky but these car are no Imperials after all.

sometime soon I plan to get some high super stock springs on the back and keep the front lifted but get an alignment and torsion bar perch gussets. :evil3:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 302
So, it was all ahead full today in an attempt to get the interior back in! I decided to give up on using the Citreon metal trim and just go with the black ones to match the upper doors! It's cold, the paint costs too much, and I think it looks OK with the black uppers against the green door panels! Got all the metal trim back in, the rear panels installed, the rear seat is in and the handles and armrests back on! Next up will be the fold down divider, the front seat belts, then it's on to removing the dash! Here's a pic with the front and back seats and panels all in!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 260
Great plan! Just get it to driver status, use up some parts, have some fun and let the next guy do the stuff that you don't.

Looking good to me. Keep plugging along this will be a nice driver for sure.

Well, it was cold as heck, the winds were 30mph and blowing snow yesterday...time for an inside project! The car has a deplorable dash in it, rusty, repainted at one time, missing the cluster and the harness is all jacked up, so I decided to put together a dash out of pieces I have around here! It's a green frame and dash pad, so it'll match the interior, and with a little cleaning, picking the 2nd best parts, here's what I came up with!!

I'm going to remove the dash out of the car by snapping or cutting the screws from underneath, and sheet metal screwing it back in from underneath as well!! Heard it can be done that way, I'm gonna try!!! I'll let you know how that goes!!

Then it will be into the shop for the motor and trans install!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 218
Here's a cool sticker on the glovebox door of the original dash for the car, so I'm using this door fer shur!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 207
-
Back