My new sanctuary.

-

tufram

Reaction score
I am finally getting my little piece of heaven. It is 40' wide by 24' deep with 12' ceiling height.
IMG_20170404_144916.jpg
IMG_20170404_165300.jpg

IMG_20170404_165254.jpg

Hey, hey! You may not know yet just what a life changing event this is! That looks like it will be a great sanctuary. When I finally built my shop, I couldn't believe I went so long without. Congratulations!

Looks good. I'm green with envy! Going to get a hoist?

From the first photo, looks like it's just in shouting distance for the wife to call you for dinner. Enjoy!

Beautiful chunk of land! Im jealous as hell. My dream one would have a hoist, a loft and a brass pole.
Hope to see a mopar poking outta the front door soon.

Congratulations, that looks like it will serve you well for some time. You may have just changed my plans for my future garage.

Plan out the lift location carefully OP. You can make it work with the 24' depth but it will be a little tight. Probably closing the door when in use will be in order. Nice shop for sure.

JW

Plan out the lift location carefully OP. You can make it work with the 24' depth but it will be a little tight. Probably closing the door when in use will be in order. Nice shop for sure.

JW is spot on with his comments. One way to make a lift work is use roll up doors rather than standard overhead doors. Sometimes, if one's been living right these come up used (factory applications) for not much money.

If I were in your part of the world, I'd give a hard look at in floor heat. I'm active on a old truck forum and one of the members asked for suggestions on his new shop here, Garage - What shall I build? | The Tool Chest | The Stovebolt Forums

Lots of great ideas that are still applicable if your images are current.

GREAT location and shop. Good Luck.
RR

Last edited:
Diagonal installation works also. A friend of mine who runs an extremely reputable import shop has 2 lifts installed diagonally and works great.

Something I learned when setting up floor plans with my old business is mapping things out on paper. And especially with something like this. Simple to do and fun actually. It really gives you an idea of what works and what doesn't. Cut out pieces to scale of all major floor space eaters and move things around til you make it work. I filled up a small shop with alot of equipment doing this and what I learned was we were extremely efficient with the small space. So much in fact that it made me rethink how to process work. Just food for thought...

JW

this time next year you'll look back on these pics and be amazed at how much room you thought you would have when it was done.. with that said, NICE!!!!

Beautiful job on getting everything level. Don't know if you thought about a floor drain but you will love it if you put one in. Easy to do with your elevation change.

put 2 inches of fall from back to front when you pour and with the block foundation you can wash it out without getting wood wet. I did this in my shop.

Hey T!
It's looking good. I know this is unsolicited advice, but since the "not enough room factor" is a real thing, you might consider framing in a door on that back left corner where the foundation is at grade. Run plumbing and electrical over the door, and then when you need more storage or an engine building room, you can build a little Shop right off the back and cut the door in. Ya?

It's lookin great!

-
Back