My New Shop!! Yiippeee!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
Well I finally got my shop started that I desperately needed. I just out grew my attached garage little at a time as you can see in the picture. I did however use that garage to switch engines in my cuda and anything else that I needed to do be repaired or restored.

The new garage is 24’ x 30’. I could have gone a tad bigger I guess but I didn’t want to lose my trees and the other side has to be 10’ off of the property line. There was a lot of head scratching because I had to move the garage around to stay off the trees, 10’ off of property line and stay parallel with the house. You think it would be simple but that wasn’t the case. I framed the walls up by myself, dug the service ditch, and ran the water, electrical conduit, and data conduit myself. But I will need some help on the LVLs that go across the garage door which is 20’ wide. I was thinking of having two garage doors but I dislike having that pillar/divider in the middle. That is just something else to walk around and by this time I am tired of walking around stuff. Lol

The trusses will be ordered soon.

There will be no windows (heat loss and thieves) and I will insulate the crap out of it. I'm tired of freezing and being HOT!!

The back wall will have a work bench, tool boxes, air compressor, ref, TV, and microwave. I am going to install spool type air hoses, drop lights, and power cords.

There will be:
10 power outlets
12 4' florescent lights with T8 bulbs
3 outside lights ( 1 beside entrance door and 2 on each side garage door)
2 ceiling fans with no lights
1 flood light
1 six gallon water heater
1 microwave
1 refrigerator
1 tv

and a PTAC system this size. Not sure on name brand but it will need to be this BTU. (30 AMP breaker I am assuming)

http://www.coolrunninghs.com/az61h15ead.html

Hopefully will add a lift sometime down the road.

I’ll keep the thread up to date as much as possible.

Attachments

• DSC03044.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,158
  • DSC03041.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,130
  • DSC03040.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,144
  • DSC03039.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 3,142
  • DSC03038.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 3,160
  • DSC03036.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3,153
  • DSC03042.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 3,171
  • DSC03037.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,162
  • DSC03043.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,186
Nice size, that's almost the same size I built but mine's 36' deep x 24 with one 20' door and no windows, love it.:thumrigh:

I'm excited for ya' Mully'.........!!

I remember when I started puttin' up my shop in NY........Been finished now for nearly 10 years, but now I live in Floridy'.......

Guess I need to hire a big cargo copter to haul it down.......

Good luck on the build......it's gonna be excitin' to see it move along. Doc :salut::hello1::thumrigh:

OK, I'm officially jealous.
toetap.gif

Great place to work, man.
Hey, before you put the veneer over the blocks, get them waterproofed or the inside of the block will always be damp.

George

Looks good!
What height will the ceiling be?
Any upstairs?
What type of exterior wall?
Any interior wall covering?
What type of roof?
While you are running services, run for cable TV.
You will really enjoy it once it's done:thumrigh:
C

Looks great I so need one of those working on the car at the office gets old when its an hour from home.

Looking good. Thats going to be nice.

looking good no doubt

Looking Good!

I'm excited for ya' Mully'.........!!

Doc :salut::hello1::thumrigh:

Thanks fellows!
I'm excited also... I have been dreaming of more space for awhile now. I guess you can say that I'm too excited. I worked on it so hard the other day in the hot heat that I was (kind of) forgetting about my diabetes. I felt weird .... like I have never felt before. I walked in the house checked my sugar and it was 23!!! Scared me! I started chug a lugging orange juice and called it a day. I push myself to hard sometimes.

Nice size, that's almost the same size I built but mine's 36' deep x 24 with one 20' door and no windows, love it.:thumrigh:

I would have liked to went deeper but I couldn't because I would be beyond the 10' limit. Sounds like we would have twin shops if I could have went 6 more feet. lol

OK, I'm officially jealous.
toetap.gif

Don't be jealous.... I was there myself looking at my friends shop and wishing. And yes I was jealous.

Great place to work, man.
Hey, before you put the veneer over the blocks, get them waterproofed or the inside of the block will always be damp.

George

I was thinking about that just a few minutes ago looking at the pictures. What you recommend.... that tar stuff work good?

Looks good!
Any upstairs?
What type of roof?
You will really enjoy it once it's done:thumrigh:
C

I have not yet firmly established floor height yet because I need to do some work with the laser transit to make sure I have fall away from the garage there at the garage door and my existing driveway. I believe it will be a shade over 10' after all is said and done.

Any upstairs?

No just a storage area with a disappearing stairway.

If I got your question correctly it will be brick.

Yes, sheet rock on walls and ceilings. Walls will be painted a color and the ceilings will be white. Base board around the bottoms of the walls.

What type of roof?

Hip roof.... same as my house. This will cut down on the storage area in the attic which is not good.

Yeah I am going to have DSL, and Cable.

Find someone in your area that sprays Tuff-N-Dry by Tremco.
Blocks are like sponges, and will soak up water like no tomorrow.
Also, use a hydraulic cement to seal the lines to the blocks before it's sprayed.

George

Find someone in your area that sprays Tuff-N-Dry by Tremco.
Blocks are like sponges, and will soak up water like no tomorrow.
Also, use a hydraulic cement to seal the lines to the blocks before it's sprayed.

George

I really need to find something that I can apply myself. I have to manage my budget you know. lol

Hydraulic cement? What is that?

The block will eventually be covered in brick on the outside, and on the inside they will covered with epoxy. The epoxy they put on the floors. I am still going to put something on the block.

You are going to love your new 24’ x 30’ shop Mullin :color:
Congratulation :hello1: and you are building it your self :glasses2:
You have a very nice home there and it sound like you
will keep a very neat look to match your home :smile:
One day soon for me, but for now:thumrigh: I will enjoy watching you enjoy
Like you I would be so happy !!!

Sweet, you gonna pour a 6" slab so you can put a lift in there?

Cause you know you're gonna want one eventually.

I want to cut the centers out of my trusses and engineer them so I can put a lift in there, but I'm gonna probably have to reinforce my floor where the pads go for the lift.

Either that or just build another darn garage.

Nice looking mulli.. Gonna be a super manacavo!

Hyraulic cement is a powder that you add water, knead like a putty, and shove in the openings. You can use it even on a hole that is dripping, running water. Used it in my first house in the middle of a rainstorm when water started coming through the foundation. Worked as well as the little Dutch boy, and didn't require feeding :)

Grant

You are going to love your new 24’ x 30’ shop Mullin :color:
Congratulation :hello1: and you are building it your self :glasses2:
You have a very nice home there and it sound like you
will keep a very neat look to match your home :smile:
One day soon for me, but for now:thumrigh: I will enjoy watching you enjoy
Like you I would be so happy !!!

Thats what it suppose to do is match the house. I've checked on the brick yet but the people I bought the house from say they have the name. I hope the still make these brick.

Thanks guys!

Sweet, you gonna pour a 6" slab so you can put a lift in there?

Cause you know you're gonna want one eventually.

I want to cut the centers out of my trusses and engineer them so I can put a lift in there, but I'm gonna probably have to reinforce my floor where the pads go for the lift.

Either that or just build another darn garage.

I am going to put a lift in there one of these days but didn't think about the concrete needing to be 6 ". I was going to put wire down and pour a 4 " slab. I'm assuming the problem would be the anchor bolts for the lift would need to have 6" around them to hold properly.

Nice looking mulli.. Gonna be a super manacavo!

Hyraulic cement is a powder that you add water, knead like a putty, and shove in the openings. You can use it even on a hole that is dripping, running water. Used it in my first house in the middle of a rainstorm when water started coming through the foundation. Worked as well as the little Dutch boy, and didn't require feeding :)

Grant

Ok but I'm lost on the reason of the hydrualic cement being needed. There will be little dirt added around the shop because it's just about perfect now. I won't have water going towards the shop it will be going away. I think I will seal the outside with something and call it good.

Mully, Big congrats to you!! That's gonna be quite the man cave when it's finished. It looks great and to see you doing alot of it yourself is impressive. Now you'll have room for more toys LOL..........:thumrigh: It's amazing how garages just seem to fill up so dang fast.

Spend a little time on this site for lots of ideas. It's kinda like FABO, but for garages.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

You MAY want to consider a "loft" truss instead for the roof........Not too much more investment, and TONS more storage.......Boy am I glad I chose them.......I have a 12 by 38 foot room upstairs with a full 7.5" ceiling just by changing out my roof truss design.

A little more cost, a little more steel roofing.......But WOW what a difference.

At any rate, whatever you choose, it's gonna be SWEEEET to be in your own shop!! :thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh:

Looks good, ever think about a mini-spit for heat & a/c? Friend just got a 2 ton unit from http://www.ac-world.com/?gclid=CPTgsYnG0akCFQgbQgodo1gxNw Just noticed you mentioned a lift, I spoke with a local guy that does all the dealerships and what not. He told me 4" is all that is needed, providing it is reinforced 3000psi stuff. Also has to be, I think it was 8" from the edge or any crack/cut/joint. This was a 2 post lift.....

Nice job Marland, but it's too small!!!LOL!!! Gotta be at least 200'x400' with 27' sidewalls!!! Even then, you'll wonder why you didn't make it bigger!!! One look at my 28x36 should be proof of that. AND, Nella's van is supposed to be parking in here also!!! YIKES!!! Keep up the good work, looks like you need it!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_1481.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,854
  • 100_3166.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,842
  • 100_3167.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,861
-
Back